• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

"Armaggedon Reef" and "By Schism Rent Asunder"
Both by David Weber...Both are excellent reads...Waiting for Book Three in series.

Cheers,

tango22a

'High Conflict Personalities in Legal Disputes' by Bill Eddy

- very interesting reading in terms anyone can understand...

"Outside the Wire: The War in Afghanistan in the Words of its Participants" - quite good so far, would be interested to know if anyone here read and what they thought. [Edit: Never mind, just searched through the thread and quite a few folks have read it!]

Also a horrible chick lit book by Jennifer Weiner, "Certain Girls"  ::)

I will say that World War Z and the Zombie survival guide are so far my favorite of the recent crop of nu-zombie literature. I'm definitely also looking forward to the movie adaptation of World War Z. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Max Brooks is apparently Mel Brooks' son. Nothing like a little familial connection to help a movie get made, n'est pas?

And, as for the newest book I'm working on now, 13 Bullets (A vampire tale) by David Wellington.

My Grandmother gave me "Turvey" by Earle Birney for my birthday. Published first in 1949, then again in 1960 under the name "The Kootenay Highlander." It is a great book with an engaging story and realistic characters. That, and it is really freaking hilarious! I highly recomend it. Anyone else out there read it? Just don't spoil the ending... i'm not quite there.

I'm currently reading Brotherhoods of war by W.E.B. Griffin.  I just randomly grabbed at the KAF PX before heading to the FOB.

Hey guy's, In the world today with all the conflict from around the world, for the past year now, I personally been reading and opening my mind to the Muslim and Arabic culture of life especially with the war in Afghanistan and Iraq i believe every one should get to no certain things about the middle east. I do no that these people dont all think the same, meaning the Muslim people alot of people think one way about theem not always the right way.

Right now am reading  ( THE ISLAMIC WORLD ) by Ziauddin Sardar righter of numerous book and very good one i may add.

Thanks and enjoy. :cdn:

RiverDriver said:
My Grandmother gave me "Turvey" by Earle Birney for my birthday. Published first in 1949, then again in 1960 under the name "The Kootenay Highlander." It is a great book with an engaging story and realistic characters. That, and it is really freaking hilarious! I highly recomend it. Anyone else out there read it? Just don't spoil the ending... i'm not quite there.

Read Turvey years ago and I second your recommendation, it's a hoot.  Inspired by the author's own experiences as an army personnel selection officer.  Hard to put down.

Another great work in a similar genre is the Private War of Jacket Coates by Lt. Col. Herbert Fairlie Wood.  If you can find it and if you enjoyed Turvey you'll love it !  The two complement each other nicely. 

Shec said:
Another great work in a similar genre is the Private War of Jacket Coates by Lt. Col. Herbert Fairlie Wood. 

I read that years ago. I am soon to retire, so I should add that to my reading list! Something about the M.D. lecturing about "the five finger widow"?!

mariomike said:
I read that years ago. I am soon to retire, so I should add that to my reading list! Something about the M.D. lecturing about "the five finger widow"?!

I don't recall that but I don't think I will ever forget the opening sentence:  "I've always been one to rally around king and country in an emergency and in 1950 the emergency was that I was broke."  ;D

Just started "Taliban" by Achmed Rashid about the rise of the Taliban, read his previous book "Jihad" quite interesting and detailed stuff.

I read all ( I think ) of Hans Hellmut Kirst's books. "Night of the Generals, Gunner Asch ( a series )" He wrote a series of detective novels set in Munich in the 1960's. "The Fox of Maulen"  "The Night of Long Knives and others were set in Germany in WW2. They were a mixture of satire and humour.

"The Tigers Are Burning" by Martin Caidin - the story of the battle of Kursk.

Half way through "Kandahar Tour"...EXCELLENT READ!

Cheers,

tango22a

I just finnished World War Z a few weeks ago, and I was thinking while reading it would adapt nicely into the same format as Band of Brothers. Max Brooks is a very talented writer.

Also finished Steven Hawking's A Brief History of Time, I would heartly recommend it to anyone... I had to flip back a few pages now and then to refresh my memory on what the terms he was using meant but the insight into the community he works in and his run in with fellow scientists like Einstien are worth the extra work.

oh and Why We Suck: A Feel Good Guide to Staying Fat, Loud, Lazy and Stupid by Dr Dennis Leary was a hoot as well - he got an honourary docterate

Finally got a chance to crack open "Generation Kill: Devil Dogs, Iceman, Captain America
and the New Face of American War".  Only got 40 pages down so far, but pretty good.

Just finished "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell", great read usually takes me a week or two to finish a book, read this one in two days.

Columbine By Dave Cullen -  About half way through and it seems to good a fairly good job of tackling a lot of the mystification and erroneous reporting that came out of that whole traggic event

PMedMoe said:
Right now, I am reading The Forest by Edward Rutherfurd.  It's quite interesting.  It's a collection of stories focused on a location instead of the characters, although some of the characters are descendants of those in the original story.  So far, it's really good and I wouldn't mind finding some of his other, similar books.

Since finishing "The Forest", I have read Heart Full of Lies by Ann Rule, re-read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, just finished the latest in the Sherlock Holmes/Mary Russell series, The Language of Bees by Laurie R. King and am about to start Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd.

Back