• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What if....A Super disaster? Impact on Canada or the world? Napkin speculation

Forget the 'Big One'. It seems that we can't even be ready for the first big snowfall of the year:

Councillors in Metro Vancouver call for 'snow summit' to better prepare for snowstorms​

Transportation ministry says it is open to meeting with municipal officials, transit authorities​

Two Metro Vancouver councillors are trying to organize a "snow summit" that would bring together municipal leaders, provincial officials, transit authorities and maintenance contractors to discuss how to co-ordinate and improve the region's response to major snowfalls.

Surrey Coun. Linda Annis and New Westminster Counc. Daniel Fontaine co-signed a letter on Thursday, calling for an analysis of the breakdowns that choked Metro Vancouver roads and highways during the snowstorm earlier in the week.

They are asking George Harvey, chair of the Metro Vancouver Regional District, and B.C. Minister of Transportation Rob Fleming to bring municipal officials, leaders and transportation agencies like ICBC together for a meeting.

On Tuesday, 20 centimetres of snow blanketed municipalities across B.C.'s South Coast, causing major traffic congestion and vehicle pileups, effectively paralyzing road transportation in the Lower Mainland.

"Winters are getting colder and colder," she told CBC News when asked what she wanted discussed at the summit.

"Do we have enough budget allocated? Do we have enough equipment and manpower to be able to handle these snowstorms?

Some of those people will finally need to buy snow shovels and winter tires.

1670173125877.png

web1_raeside_12102022_web.jpg;w=960;h=640;bgcolor=000000

Based on a record dry winter, BC might looking at another big fire summer so this seems relevant... and a nice shout out to Honour House in New West...

‘A Major Gap’ in BC’s Disaster Evacuation Support​

Most victims are displaced far longer than the province’s aid system assumes, shows data analyzed by The Tyee.​

When the smoke and ash started seeping into her home and hallways, Billie Sheridan knew it was time to escape. The official evacuation order that would clear the entire city of Williams Lake had yet to be sounded. But already three of Sheridan’s sons were gone. They’d left the morning before because it was too hard for one of them with asthma to breathe

Now wildfires — among a swarm that burned across British Columbia that summer of 2017 — were fast closing in on the central interior city’s 10,500 residents. Sheridan and her daughter-in-law loaded themselves, the dog and their belongings into a minivan and started the 240-kilometre drive up Highway 97 towards safety in Prince George.

Billie’s wife Crystal Sheridan, a nurse, stayed behind to care for and help evacuate elderly residents. Billie’s mind turned to Crystal as she drove. She hoped for the best, assuming they’d all be reunited soon enough with stories to share.

“We didn’t anticipate the length of the time,” Billie recalled. “We were hoping that this was only going to last a few days.”

But days turned into weeks, then stretched past a month as the Sheridans shuffled from place to place.

While caring for her patients, Crystal Sheridan’s hip replacement broke. She was eventually medevacked to Vancouver after the rest of the Sheridans made their way to the Lower Mainland. There, the family bounced between the hospital, a hotel and staying with family.

While the official evacuation order for Williams Lake lasted almost two weeks, the fires triggered a series of health and safety issues for the Sheridans that caused them to leave early and stay away more than twice as long as officials mandated.

“It was mentally and physically exhausting that summer,” said Billie Sheridan.

The family eventually found lodging at Honour House, a home in New Westminster for Canadian Armed Forces members and veterans, emergency services personnel and their families to stay while receiving medical care. “We were so lucky and so fortunate,” Sheridan said. “That facility holds a very important place in my heart.”

That tinder dry wildfire season of 2017 was one of the worst in B.C. history, forcing an estimated 65,000 people out of their homes. Many of those evacuees learned Billie Sheridan’s hard lesson — that as climate disasters increase in their frequency and intensity, those who seek refuge can expect to be uprooted for long stretches.

It’s already happening. The Tyee analyzed available data for the past six years to discover the average length of time people are being evacuated in this province — it tops three weeks.

That’s a span of time that experts say the B.C. government hasn’t reckoned with — but must if it is to succeed in its declared effort to beef up its support systems for evacuees.

If you talk “being prepared”, a lot of people think you’re taking Doomsday Preppers or whatever that show is.

Unfortunately most people want to think about what to do let alone do anything.

If you talk “being prepared”, a lot of people think you’re taking Doomsday Preppers or whatever that show is.

Unfortunately most people want to think about what to do let alone do anything.
along with military defensive issues.......just leave it someone will else will help us. its the Canadian way. I like the way the Israelis do things, using a separate army command for civil defense matters, freeing up their field forces.

I remember watching a fight at a Tim’s in Lwr Sackville 2 days after. Someone thought they should have been next.

Yup. Anti-smart. Lots of it.

I remember watching a fight at a Tim’s in Lwr Sackville 2 days after. Someone thought they should have been next.

Yup. Anti-smart. Lots of it.
Ya'll watch The Last of Us? THAT and probably worse.

Let's not forget the pandemic - neighbors were ratting out neighbors to the cops here over too many vehicles in the driveway etc.

Reportedly the "La Nina" cycle has ended/is ending. Maybe not in time for the winter, but in time for the summer. So, wait for it.

(The "La Nina" cycle is what produces the west coast conditions we've been dealing with, all the way from here down to California - atypically warm summer heat periods, Cascade west slope fires, southwestern drought.)

Wait until those same types get hungry and cold.
And the societal break with anything to do with food production. The disconnect between farm to table has never been greater. Sure the local and organic trend is here. But its an expensive luxury not a real system.

Look at the EU and future Canadian rules about fertilizer. I can't believe we are even going there. Technocrats making rules with zero understanding of food production. At least I hope that's the case because if its not its just evil.
But back to the topic. How many can hunt and grow their own food. Yes many on here can but most can not. I know I can't. Hunt yes maybe. But grow food? I kill the house plants.

And the societal break with anything to do with food production. The disconnect between farm to table has never been greater. Sure the local and organic trend is here. But its an expensive luxury not a real system.

Look at the EU and future Canadian rules about fertilizer. I can't believe we are even going there. Technocrats making rules with zero understanding of food production. At least I hope that's the case because if its not its just evil.
But back to the topic. How many can hunt and grow their own food. Yes many on here can but most can not. I know I can't. Hunt yes maybe. But grow food? I kill the house plants.
I think its more evil than niave, most of those same technocrats believe the earth has to many people.

I actually respect the hippies that go out , live a minimal lifestyle and grow most of their own food.

Back