• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What is a Canadian Soldier?

The Average Military Man
The average age of the military man is 19 years old.  He is a short haired, tight-muscled kid who, under normal circumstances is considered by society as half man, half boy.  Not yet dry behind the ears, not old enough to vote but old enough to die for his country.  He never really cared much for work and he would rather wax his own car than wash his father's; but he has never collected unemployment either.  He's a recent high school graduate; he was probably an average student, pursued some form of sport activities, drives a ten year old jalopy, and has a steady girlfriend that either broke up with him when he left, or swears to be waiting when he returns from half a world away.  He listens to rock and roll or hip-hop or rap or jazz or swing and 155mm Howitzers.  He is 10 or 15 pounds lighter now than when he was at home because he is working or fighting from before dawn to well after dusk.  He has trouble spelling, thus letter writing is a pain for him, but he can field strip a rifle in 30 seconds and reassemble it in less time in the dark.  He can recite to you the nomenclature of a machine gun or grenade launcher and use either one effectively if he must.  He digs foxholes and latrines and can apply first aid like a professional.  He can march until he is told to stop or stop until he is told to march.  He obeys orders instantly and without hesitation, but he is not without spirit or individual dignity.  He is self-sufficient. He has two sets of fatigues: he washes one and wears the other. He keeps his canteens full and his feet dry.  He sometimes forgets to brush his teeth, but never to clean his rifle.  He can cook his own meals, mend his own clothes, and fix his own hurts.  If you're thirsty, he'll share his water with you; if you are hungry, his food.  He'll even split his ammunition with you in the midst of battle when you run low.  He has learned to use his hands like weapons and weapons like they were his hands. He can save your life - or take it, because that is his job.  He will often do twice the work of a civilian, draw half the pay and still find ironic humor in it all. He has seen more suffering and death then he should have in his short lifetime.  He has wept in public and in private, for friends who have fallen in combat and is unashamed.  He feels every note of the national anthem vibrate through his body while at rigid attention, while tempering the burning desire to 'sort-out' those around him who haven't bothered to stand, remove their hat, or even stop talking. In an odd twist, day in and day out, far from home, he defends their right to be disrespectful.  Just as did his Father, Grandfather, and Great-grandfather, he is paying the price for our freedom.  Beardless or not, he is not a boy.  He is the Canadian Military Man and has kept this country free for over 100 years.  He has asked nothing in return, except our friendship and understanding.  Remember him, always, for he has earned our respect and admiration with his blood. 

I got this in an email a while ago and I think it kinda suits this this forum here.  Anyone agree?

A couple of things make this the usual "written to describe an American, but with 'Canadian' substituted." If he's 19, he's old enough to vote or drink anywhere in Canada. Plus, I don't think 19 has ever been the average age of a Canadian soldier.

There's something about this thread that bugs me. I've been trying to put it into words so I could express it here. All this "nobility" is, simply, massaging our egos. In my fairly brief (close to 25 years) of service I've known soldiers who are drunks, but good in the field; thieves, but would never steal from someone in their own platoons; wife beaters that could shoot the eyes out of a moving snake at 200m; slackers who would do anything to avoid physical labour, but could excel at PT.

I've known officers and NCOs that were self-serving dickheads that somehow managed to gain promotion. Guys that would let their best bud take the blame for something they did. I've known truly bad soldiers. I knew Clayton Matchee, but I didn't know Kyle Brown. I've known great soldiers and those who were not so great. I served with Col Ethell, and Rod Dearing, and Jim DeCoste, and Scott Taylor.

The Canadian Soldier is Everyman. The best and the worst of Canadian society. "Rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief."

Acorn

Couldn't agree more.  Basically a Canadian Soldier is one everyone and anyone!  :salute:

Acorn,

Very well said.  I too completely agree..............do you mind if I muddy the waters some more?

When a soldier answers to a 'higher calling' is his nobility lessened by those that tag along for less altruistic reasons?

Is the institution to blame for the few that serve only the one? 

Is a loose and fast lifestyle unbelievable when your job is to deal with mankind's dirty laundry?

When the risks inherent to your vocation involve loss of life, limb, or best friend does short-sightedness and hedonism sound unrealistic?

Work avoidance can also be called 'economy of effort'.  We teach and encourage that.

It could be argued that aggression is in our job description, if not our race.  IMO, it's managing the application of violence that gets convoluted.

I too have served with some of the best and worst.  To me the operative word is 'served'.  Unfortunately, it's not the same for all.

Matthew 7:1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

I'm really in for it come judgement day ;)

Acorn.  Thanks again for shedding some pragmatic light on this sugar-coated thread.

bdcasey916 said:
The Average Military Man
The average age of the military man is 19 years old. He is a short haired, tight-muscled kid who, under normal circumstances is considered by society as half man, half boy. Not yet dry behind the ears, not old enough to vote but old enough to die for his country. He never really cared much for work and he would rather wax his own car than wash his father's; but he has never collected unemployment either. He's a recent high school graduate; he was probably an average student, pursued some form of sport activities, drives a ten year old jalopy, and has a steady girlfriend that either broke up with him when he left, or swears to be waiting when he returns from half a world away. He listens to rock and roll or hip-hop or rap or jazz or swing and 155mm Howitzers. He is 10 or 15 pounds lighter now than when he was at home because he is working or fighting from before dawn to well after dusk. He has trouble spelling, thus letter writing is a pain for him, but he can field strip a rifle in 30 seconds and reassemble it in less time in the dark. He can recite to you the nomenclature of a machine gun or grenade launcher and use either one effectively if he must. He digs foxholes and latrines and can apply first aid like a professional. He can march until he is told to stop or stop until he is told to march. He obeys orders instantly and without hesitation, but he is not without spirit or individual dignity. He is self-sufficient. He has two sets of fatigues: he washes one and wears the other. He keeps his canteens full and his feet dry. He sometimes forgets to brush his teeth, but never to clean his rifle. He can cook his own meals, mend his own clothes, and fix his own hurts. If you're thirsty, he'll share his water with you; if you are hungry, his food. He'll even split his ammunition with you in the midst of battle when you run low. He has learned to use his hands like weapons and weapons like they were his hands. He can save your life - or take it, because that is his job. He will often do twice the work of a civilian, draw half the pay and still find ironic humor in it all. He has seen more suffering and death then he should have in his short lifetime. He has wept in public and in private, for friends who have fallen in combat and is unashamed. He feels every note of the national anthem vibrate through his body while at rigid attention, while tempering the burning desire to 'sort-out' those around him who haven't bothered to stand, remove their hat, or even stop talking. In an odd twist, day in and day out, far from home, he defends their right to be disrespectful. Just as did his Father, Grandfather, and Great-grandfather, he is paying the price for our freedom. Beardless or not, he is not a boy. He is the Canadian Military Man and has kept this country free for over 100 years. He has asked nothing in return, except our friendship and understanding. Remember him, always, for he has earned our respect and admiration with his blood.

I got this in an email a while ago and I think it kinda suits this this forum here. Anyone agree?

I totally agree 150% Great post bdcasey916 I've read it before and printed it out I love it Good on ya for posting it :salute: why didn't I think of that!!

Has gone on so long with so little, is now capable of doing anything with nothing.

Or in otherwords, we could have finished the invasion of Iraq. In 10 minutes. Without weapons. Nude.

RCA said:
Has gone on so long with so little, is now capable of doing anything with nothing.

We the unwilling
working for the ungrateful
are doing the impossible.
We have done so much,
for so long,
with so little,
we are now qualified to
do anything with nothing.

The PPCLI Kitshop used to sell a print titled "The Soldiers Poem",  it was slightly different than the rest of the Soldiers/Warriors Poems I have seen, in that it was written for and by Canadians, does any one have a copy that they can post (mine has disappeared )

Is this what you meant

The soldier-Charles M Province.

It is the soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us the freedom of press.
It is the soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us the freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the campus organizer,
Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
It is the soldier, not the lawyer,
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the soldier, who salutes the flag,
Who serves under the flag,
Whose coffin is draped by the flag,
And who allows protestors to burn the flag.

Thanks ROJ, knew I was missing something, but for the sake of me couldn't remember.

camochick said:
Is this what you meant

thankx for posting camochick haven't heard that one before. :salute:

camochick said:
Is this what you meant

No, it was a differrent one.  This print had a candian infantryman, standing in in FFO, with the poem beside it.

if only we had the resources and the government to let us be real soldiers

"When a soldier was injured and could not get back to safety, his buddy went out to get him, against his officer's orders. He returned mortally wounded, and his friend, whom he had carried back, was dead. The officer was angry. 'I told you not to go,' he said. 'Now I've lost both of you. It was not worth it.' The dying man repied, But it was, sir, because when I got to him, he said, 'Jim, I knew you'd come.'"

Leslie D. Weatherhead

The Canadian Soldier is a person who is willing to give up his freedom, to live in conditions you could not subject a convict to, for wages you could better on welfare, to strive to become skilled enough to have the opportunity to fight, and perhaps die, for a country who has chosen to use its hardwon freedom to despise its own defenders.  A Canadian soldier can count on being younger than his his rifle, or his vehicle, and can make either one perform only because his training is able to take museum relics and nurse performances almost equivalent to the modern materiel owned by every third world nation in the world.  A Canadian soldier does more with less, and knows that the reward for this is to be asked to do more yet, with even less to come.  A Canadian soldier follows a calling more true than any priest, for our nation offers little pay, less glory, and no recognition.  A Canadian soldier does the job his country pretends doesn't need to be done, because we know better.

MikeL said:
"When a soldier was injured and could not get back to safety, his buddy went out to get him, against his officer's orders. He returned mortally wounded, and his friend, whom he had carried back, was dead. The officer was angry. 'I told you not to go,' he said. 'Now I've lost both of you. It was not worth it.' The dying man repied, But it was, sir, because when I got to him, he said, 'Jim, I knew you'd come.'"

Leslie D. Weatherhead

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Camochick:-

This is an American, not Canadian, poem. This poem was read by Atlantic Highlands Mayor Michael A. Harmon at the Veterans Day Ceremony, Sunday, November 11, 2001. The ceremony was held by the American Legion Eugene Allen Post 141 at Veterans Memorial Park, First Avenue, Atlantic Highlands, NJ.

It is the soldier, not the reporter.........................

Back