• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What is the oldest Armoured Regiment?

V

Veteran`s son

What would be the oldest Armoured Regiment still serving?

The British Columbia Regiment is a long serving regiment, right? I believe they are/were called the Duke of Connaught‘s Own and served in WW2.

The British Columbia Dragoons also served in WWII. They were throughout Holland, and came to Vimy at some point. My family has photographs somewhere of the lads of the BCD at these places at that time. (my grandfather served)

The Lord Strathcona‘s Horse (LdSH) served in the Boer War.

Veteran‘s son, many of the today‘s Armoured Regiments can trace their history to Infantry or Cavalry units that existed prior to tanks. Do you want to know of the first Canadian regiment to be armoured or do you want to know which of the Regiments, that are presently armoured, is the oldest?

The Oldest Armour Regt is the Windsors in 1936. The oldest Cav Regt now Recce is the 1st Hussars in 1873. The oldest Reg Force unit is the Royal Canadian Dragoons in 1883.

Sorry Recce41 but the oldest cvalry unit was John Button‘s Troop formed in 1810, the first militia cavalry unit in Canada. Followed by George Taylor Denison‘s Troop in 1811. They amalgamated in the late 1800s to become The Governor General‘s Body Guards the predecessors of The Governor General‘s Horse Guards.

Oh boy... I saw this coming.

Veteran‘s Son, you have opened the proverbial can of worms here. Every regiment believes they are the oldest/wisest etc. Many regiments in Canada pre-date Confederation. The Queen‘s York Rangers can date them selves back to the 1700‘s, as part of the force formed under Robert Rogers. Robert Rogers was directed by the British to form a 35 man section of Rangers in 1755. Albeit dismounted, they formed the backbone of current recce techniques used today. LCol Rogers joined the Queen‘s Rangers in 1775 -- which funny enough was the precursor unit to the Queen‘s York Rangers. So if you want to talk about the oldest Armoured Regiment of the day, I would have to say the QYR take the cake.

Souza
The First Hussars are from the 1st District Cav formed in 1774 give or take a few yrs. They were from Loyals that came from NY. Yes the GGHG are also about that time but were not listed as a unit.Most Cav units were given numbers.ie 1st Distict to 14th District+ some Regt were British ie Kings Hussars and were not made up of Colonials from the 13 Colonies. As for the QYRs, they are not from the Cav side of the house or horse (HAHA). You can tell which units are from Cav and from Inf or Light Cav. If they have a Horse in their Gidion, they are from the Cav side, if they have a goat they are from the Inf family. There are only two True Armour Regts. The Windsors and Regt de Hull. Both were formed as ARMOUR Regt. Not from Inf or Cav. Although most both were a mix of every trade. To say a Regt is oldest is nil and void. For Most Cav? Inf Regts are from other British Colonials units.
I got some of the imfo from a few books.

No mistake, thats the problem with our Regts. Some are from other Regts and even as stated troops. The British form their Regts by district or city. The only exceptions are Royal Units. ie Life Guards, Kings Hussars, RTR, Paras,etc. For they were formed from Soldiers from all over the UK.

I would like to expand on this topic a bit!

Which Armoured Regiments from WW2 are still serving today?

The existing regiments would be Reserve force mostly, right?

Just for the he!! of it. The Essex Regiment (Tank) Regiment‘s cap badge *points to avatar*

Back