• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What keeps or kept you in the CAF?

FortYorkRifleman

Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
The past few years have not been kind to the CAF with reports of sexual misconduct, low morale, old equipment with no replacements in sight etc. On top of that with the mission in Afghanistan over and recent missions leaning towards the Air Force and Special Operations what keeps you in the CAF? For those who have retired what kept you from hanging it up whether it be during the decade of darkness or some other period.

We've been through scandals etc, budgetary issues, crappy leadership and all that,

I stay to see what happens next.

“C'est le temps que tu a perdu pour ta rose qui fait ta rose si importante.”

― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

dapaterson said:
“C'est le temps que tu a perdu pour ta rose qui fait ta rose si importante.”

― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

It is the time spent for your rose that makes your rose so important, right? I didn't use Google to translate that as I am brushing up on my French

I don't let public opinion drag me down. I serve with pride, honour, and integrity to my country. Nobody can take that from me no matter the scandal.

Plus my job is fucking cool!

I loved the job, daily challenges and changing nature of the work.
If I had the choice, I would have remained in the RCN.

Hands down, the people I work with. Job satisfaction comes and goes, but the friend network is always there.

I like remodelling young impressionable minds into productive, working and professional people...with just a touch of me tossed in  :nod:.

MM

For my community, a great job to begin with, relaxed professional environment, still some great TDs despite shrinking YFR, and our part in current ops.  We are always "operational" domestically or deployed and it helps keep morale up.  We rarely have the same repetitive work day or week and things are always popping up.

Top that off with check-in vice dig-in, TDs to some sweet locations, and spec pay and aircrew allowance and it's hard to be truly disgruntled.

Anyone thinking of doing an OT to a flying trade, I say go for it; the grass is greener and king size beds in hotels beats the shit out of mod tents.

A few things,

The people. The people I've met on the army have been some of the best (and worst) that I have ever met. I know I can depend on pretty much anyone and they can expect the same from me.

The other thing  is the job itself. Where else do you get given a rifle and sign for thousands of dollars of equipment at 22 ? Sure some times you are bored out of your mind on the graveyard shift but that rush when it gets real busy in the TOC or if you are lucky enough to be attached with the infantry makes it all worth it.

As a student there are also many great perks (ILPs, field pay, claims) and the flexibility to do as much or as a little as you want. Personally I do as much as possible but it is nice knowing that if you need a weekend off it is usually OK.

Other things include the work ethic especially attention to detail. I also work in an office and multiple people have commented that "they are blown away for my ethic and attention to detail". (I guess inspections were a good use of time after all >:D).

While I've only been in a short amount of time the time in the reserves has benefited me far more than I expected.

sidemount said:
I heard the Air Force is hiring....an OT may be in order

:nod:

I made some great friends in the Navy and did some pretty cool stuff, but I don't regret CT/OT-ing to the RCAF.  In both, a young person in their early 20s can be, and usually is, in charge of millions of dollars' worth of equipment.  In the case of a MARS Officer, 30 to 250 lives as OOW or 2OOW.

A few nice postings haven't hurt either.

Ive got 12 years in the army, afghanistan tour, lots of good goes great friends, I think it may be time for a change. Id like to be involved with flying. The posting I think would be better for my family.

How much of it is "I've devoted so much of myself, both in time and blood, that I can't see myself starting over"?

I'll tell you what keeps me in the army....

Soldiers, laughter and stories!  In that order.

The great food, scenic training areas, smooth administration, and the hot women.

"What keeps or kept you in the CAF?"

^ I would look at that question another way. ^

I was in the Reserves. It wasn't my career.

But, if the CAF is going to be your career, why not plan on staying in ( if possible ) for the whole ride?

Are people changing careers more now than they used to?

mariomike said:
"What keeps or kept you in the CAF?"

^ I would look at that question another way. ^

I was in the Reserves. It wasn't my career. 

But, if the CAF is going to be your career, why not plan on staying in ( if possible ) for the whole ride?

Are people changing careers more now than they used to?

My goal is make it my career till retirement but I'm not sure how my body will be in ten years as I want to be in Infantry

FortYorkRifleman said:
My goal is make it my career till retirement but I'm not sure how my body will be in ten years as I want to be in Infantry

Congratulations. That's why I was careful to include the "if possible" part.

Back