• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]

Not sure if its been posted yet but before you put on that cam paint that comes in a box , put some baby oil on your face then put the camo on , it comes off 10 times easier than just applying the cam to your face.

StevenCD said:
Not sure if its been posted yet but before you put on that cam paint that comes in a box , put some baby oil on your face then put the camo on , it comes off 10 times easier than just applying the cam to your face.

Wish I had known that during basic. Thx for the tip Steve. Showers are not enough to rinse the camo paint. Paper towels, soap, hot water, and lots of scrubbing until your face turns red did the job for me.

Army-Goon said:
Damnit! I thought I had it all down with the "no excuses" line, I thought that was the perfect reply.

Whats the best reply for when you mess up? I mean when an instructor asks you "Why aren't your tac vest threads burned off?" I used to like the line "no excuses" but it seems that may not be a good idea anymore. Saying "I don't know" is horrible. Ofcourse the best thing is simply not messing up! But thats in a perfect world...

Try "Lack of attention to detail,_________ (insert rank here)!"  Had my Sect Comd on CLC gobsmacked first time he heard it.  Honesty, who'd a thunk it?

I have done BMQ twice. Once in 1989 and once again over the last few months; both times were Reserve courses. The first time I really focused on being the "grey man." I tried hard, but I never stuck my neck out and I certainly didn't try to lead by example. This time I did my very best every day. I volunteered when appropriate and I was actively involved. The result? Well I still passed, but this time I learned much more and I found it more enjoyable. Since the point of BMQ is to learn I would suggest the latter rather than the former.

I understand it is important to be "grey" at times, but being your best will often mean being a little more colorful than grey. Now this does not mean trying to be the "best" -the annoying platitude speaking, superficial self appointed expert- candidate on course. Just try to be your best. Be alert, anticipate future needs, drive your body and your mind. Work like your life depends on it.

The point of BMQ is not to have fun, the point is to learn. If you work hard, do what you are told and you don't quit, no matter what, then you may find that it was fun at times.

Kat Stevens said:
Try "Lack of attention to detail,_________ (insert rank here)!"  Had my Sect Comd on CLC gobsmacked first time he heard it.  Honesty, who'd a thunk it?

When i was doing my BMQ back in '99 the best response when you forgot something during inspection or you were told you looked like an idiot, best response was "Slack and Idle,________________(insert rank here)! was advised this by my Course Warrant, with the Captain in full agreeance.

upon reading all of your experiences, which just brought back the memories of my basic 10 yrs ago. I am going my basic again next month, I just feel sick about it.

Conquistador said:
Well I'm sure that there are scores of other people out there who would be glad to take your place.

Well, I am sure that when you reach my age, you will start feeling the pain. I will definitly go, because it's my fxxxing career.
I ain't reservist.

Hi All,

I did my reg. BMQ (10 weeks) at the Mega in St Jean almost 4 years ago. As many others have posted in this thread, its all just a game. No matter if you are the most crack "on the ball" troop, you're getting jacked up for at least the first 8 weeks. Thats all there is to it. Its all part of dispelling your preconceptions about the military, breaking you down and building you back up again.

But I digress from the topic of this thread.

Advice:

- If you were a cadet prior, dont bring your mantality with you (The "I've been here before, I've done that before" attitude), it'll only make your life harder. Trust me. Just help your buddies polish boots and iron shirts.

My best tip is to become slightly Obsessive Compulsive. I will explain:

- Always make sure your kit, and especially your weapon is secure. Double Check. Triple Check. I've often made the 5 story sprint (or marching at a cadence of 240 bpm, looking like a windup toy cranked way too tight) from the break room downstairs to double check my Abus lock and combo locks.

- Dont touch Staircase Railings (as tempting as it may seem when climbing up 12 flights of stairs) or other germ havens (watch out for them payphones too, no idea how many generations of recruits were sobbing and sniffling into the receiver) I spent the first 4-5 weeks of basic training with a completely stuffed up nose and what felt like strep throat. I also woke up on multiple occasions with my eyes crusted shut (extremely gross, I know, but I'm making a point) A friend advised me to stop using the Railings, and I had no further health problems.

Just know that there is 300+ filthy recruits using many of the same facilities and touching the same doors (such as the one going from the basement of the green sector to the cafeteria). They dont all wash their hands, and the hygeing of some is questionable at best. In a nutshell, my life would have been made much easier if I wasnt hindered by a slew of minor ailments the first half of my BMQ.

My .02 cents

Good luck to all who are joining up, we need all the good troops we can get.

Eric

StevenCD said:

In respect to baby oil, I have found it very useful at Homecare. Especially for removing some of that the "goo" that medical tape seems to leave behind when changing a dressing. It is non abraisive on the skin as well.  Have no complaints with it myself. Plus it smells good too. So if it's great for that, I'm sure it's wonderful for the "camo" also  ;D

~Rebecca

Don't use baby oil, or bug dope (tried the latter in Basic Reserves).  It makes the camo appear shiny, and violates the 6 "S" 's of concealment.  Just use it by itself.  Makes it harder to remove, but you will get in more trouble for trying to make it easier than it is worth.

Well this is something,
nearly two years after I started this thread, it is so entertaining to go back and read it all.  One guy that responded ended up being my fire team partner in SQ.  whiney baby who couldn't stand the cold, I had to laugh when shell casings from my C9 at 3 in the morning raining down on his helmet had him go from crying "it's too cold", to "ow, ow it's hot!!".  Ha, cracks me up, a lowly Sig like me out lasting an RCR boy.
Pet has it's new challenges though.  I'm posted now and wow.  What a change once you get out of the training system and land at a place where you go to work everyday.  I find the recipe goes like this..
1 part fun
2 parts frustrating
1 part maddening
and 1 more part broken (with privates out numbering MCPL's almost 10 to 1)
and 1 more part so satisfying when you get respect.
oh well, I think I'll go for a run (see, basic taught me one thing....i like running :)

For the Field exercise, take candy, im not kidding.

I did my BMQ in -50, it sucked, sugery goodness helped. The meals your provided with may suck, not be enough, or have to be eaten in 2 minutes. But if you are going to take candy to field, you must do a few things.

- AlWAYS carry your trash, save your wrappers and throw it out with the IMP garabage, since the IMPs have candy with them, nobody will be the wise. If a candy wrapper is found on the ground, your screwed to no end.

- Keep your mouth shut, it seems everybody does this, but don't go around telling higher ups, some of them may have a problem agiasnt it.

- Know what kinds of candy to bring. Be smarts, don't be like my fireteam partner who took a 2L coke and box of oreos.

Hmmm...we were strongly encouraged to bring choclate bars, power bars, gum, candies....but I think someone would probably draw the line at coke and oreos.

Just a thought guys,
but why don't you go for the Military experience and leave the junk food at home.
Learning to live off the IMPs (for a week or two) is no biggie.  You might even lose a couple pounds and feel great like I did.

If you're in minus temps, make sure you bring hot paws.  If there's snow on the ground, don't leave home without'em!!

Your goal should "hard as **** not "shaped like pear" ;)

CanadianTire said:
Hmmm...we were strongly encouraged to bring choclate bars, power bars, gum, candies....but I think someone would probably draw the line at coke and oreos.

Depends on your staff. One guy was caught with a jerky package sticking out of an open utility pouch and had to run 10 laps around the camp with his rifle above his head.

Keep it out of sight just to be careful.

Back