• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]

CyberJonesy said:
Here's my 2 cents. I just finished BMQ at St-Jean 2 weeks ago.

I HIGHLY suggest going to cpgear.com and get yourself an order on a nametag, flap and a  :cdn: shoulder flag because St-Jean sent us to our new units without those and guess what, the QM here (Kingston, can't talk for other bases) has ran out of shoulder flags and we got told that getting our nametag (the cadpat one) could take up to 6 months.

What is a flap? 

I plan on joining the reserves, but I am a failure at push ups. Any suggestions to get myself ready for my fitness test during my BMQ?

2587PDub said:
I plan on joining the reserves, but I am a failure at push ups. Any suggestions to get myself ready for my fitness test during my BMQ?

http://www.hundredpushups.com/week1.html

have at'er

Alright, I feel like a twit posting this, but do girls not care about BMQ prep? Any tips especially for girls? I don't think I need a shave kit because to date, I do not have a facial hair problem and if it means saving time, I won't shave my legs for 15 weeks. (I will still wear shorts if needed, if I get the nickname Harry, then so be it hahaha)

I know there appears to be a majority of people who believe that we newbies and potential newbies need to relax and trust the process, please believe that I am, but I happen to also like to accquire information in the meantime as well, its a more enjoyable form of procrastination for me at the moment.

One strong bit of advice I highly recommend. If you get your kit before BMQ and you need to get your IDENT in your combats. Do. Not. Wear. Them. There.

I did. I ran into an MP. MP asks, where the F*** is your Beret...I say in my pocket sir. He says why the F***isn't it on your head. I say...I...don't know how to form it? He asks for insignia and name patch. Things go down hill from there.

Avoid this fate, take your gear in a bag and change AT the Ident office...

That should have been explained to you when you received your kit.

NSDreamer said:
One strong bit of advice I highly recommend. If you get your kit before BMQ and you need to get your IDENT in your combats. Do. Not. Wear. Them. There.

I did. I ran into an MP. MP asks, where the F*** is your Beret...I say in my pocket sir. He says why the F***isn't it on your head. I say...I...don't know how to form it? He asks for insignia and name patch. Things go down hill from there.

Avoid this fate, take your gear in a bag and change AT the Ident office...

So in other words, you haven't been shown how to wear a uniform yet, and went looking like a bag of hammers.  Thats one way to learn, for sure.  ;D

Don't wear your kit until you have been shown how to wear your kit.  Trying to look cool and all that, especially around a place like Halifax (assuming you went to the dockyard ID Section) will only land you in a place where LOTS of eyes are watching and waiting.

Eye In The Sky said:
So in other words, you haven't been shown how to wear a uniform yet, and went looking like a bag of hammers.  Thats one way to learn, for sure.  ;D

Don't wear your kit until you have been shown how to wear your kit.  Trying to look cool and all that, especially around a place like Halifax (assuming you went to the dockyard ID Section) will only land you in a place where LOTS of eyes are watching and waiting.

Heh, well I wasn't planning on it. I was told on the phone by the Ident office that I had to be in combats when I went to get my ID. I wasn't advised that I could change there. Hence the awkwardness, but yes civvies are best till you know how to wear your kit!

Forgive me for asking if the question has already been posed, do they serve coffee with breakfast?

Ridiculous question, just wondering!

Thanks.

Runnalls said:
Forgive me for asking if the question has already been posed, do they serve coffee with breakfast?

Thanks.

I know when I did my  BMQ/SQ in Aldershot in '06, there was coffee available.
I was a total coffee slave, (read as: 7-8 cups a day). But funny enough, the DS had enough ways to keep
my coursemates and I alert and awake  ;), and I didn't drink one cup of coffee until I got back to my civillian job.

Runnalls said:

Thanks.

When I did PRes BMQ there was always coffee with breakfast and available throughout the day for your breaks.

4815162342 said:
Anyone already merit listed in the CF and just waiting for trades to open up?

If you review this thread you will find quite a few people who have identified themselves as merit listed:

Application Process Samples

Start on page 115 (of 139) to read entries from 2010.  The information posted in the thread will also show you how long some people have waited for the recruiting process to be completed.

Michael O'Leary said:
If you review this thread you will find quite a few people who have identified themselves as merit listed:

Application Process Samples

Start on page 115 (of 139) to read entries from 2010.  The information posted in the thread will also show you how long some people have waited for the recruiting process to be completed.

Wow, Thanks Michael.  I appreciate the guidance.
Cheers 8)

Would someone please explain about "swipes" and counsellings at CFLRS in Saint-Jean?

1 - Do recruits, at BMQ, get so many swipes before a counsel?
2 - If so, do these parameters change depending on which week these recruits are currently in?
    Are recruits counselled without having swipes?
3 - Is there a possibility of recruits being discharged completely from BMQ for counsellings?
4 - Are cousellings classified as major or minor or are they all considered serious?

I apoligise if these questions have previously been asked. I did do searches throughout Milnet and could not find the answers though.

Thanks very much.

Dingo North said:
Would someone please explain about "swipes" and counsellings at CFLRS in Saint-Jean?

1 - Do recruits, at BMQ, get so many swipes before a counsel? When you get counselled your exacta card (CFLRS I.D card) is swiped through the computer when you read the report on whatever it is your are being counselled for. There is also a 'note to file' for which your card is also swiped through the computer. Although not an official counselling notes to file are negative and are used as backround/extra info if you get enough counsellings to have a progress review board 'PRB'
2 - If so, do these parameters change depending on which week these recruits are currently in? You are allowed a certain number of counsellings before a PRB occurs and this does change depending on what phase of the course you are in. I believe for the indoc period you are allowed 8 and then your 'count' is reset to '0' after the indoc phase is over and you again have 8 counsellings before a PRB sits to make a determination on if you are fit to stay on the course/in the CF
    Are recruits counselled without having swipes? Again, a 'swipe' is either a counselling, a note-to-file, or rarely, a 'noteworthy' (a good swipe). Sometimes your section commander or other course staff may take you aside and tell you to get your shit together before more serious action is taken (i.e. a swipe), but in my experience that is rare)
3 - Is there a possibility of recruits being discharged completely from BMQ for counsellings? YES! If a PRB is called to review a person's file there is every possibility that a determination could be made to recourse the individual, or in some cases release the person  from the CF. Other possible outcomes from a PRB include staying on the course, sometimes with extra duties or other form of training or punishment. Additional counsellings after a PRB usually result in being taken off the course immediately
4 - Are counsellings classified as major or minor or are they all considered serious? Technically all are serious as they are recorded on your file and even if they are for simple things they add up and lead to a PRB. Generally counsellings in the first part of the course are not as serious because at the end of indoc your 'count' is reset to zero, and counsellings in the first few weeks can be for random small infractions, but the goal would be to not have to worry about it at all and have zero 'notes to file' and 'counsellings' the whole way through.
All of this is usually explained via a PowerPoint lecture by the staff (from a department called 'Standards') when the platoon first arrives. Good luck!

Back