• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What rank do you hope to achieve in your CF career?

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Or fix the pension system that has NCO's thinking like that.

With you 100% on that: there should be only one pension system, based on years served and pay earned. There should not be a "better" pension system for officers. Cheers

Heck - at least the Reg Force have a pension (unlike the reserves)

bossi said:
Heck - at least the Reg Force have a pension (unlike the reserves)

What happened to this plan? I was under the impression as I was getting ready to depl that it was near announcement as a done deal. Cheers.

I can think of many reasons to go officer, the best one is the difference of the pension  at that age. Yes they should have a pension that is equal, but like everything else in our military it is a two tiered system. The men get less then what the officers get, I mean a degree for an officer is much better then the years of expierance of the Snr NCO and is worth much more. I am not trying to be a smart a** here but the whole system needs to be fixed.

Is there somebody among us who is an expert on the CFSA and could tell us for certain what the differences are between the pensions?
Cheers.

pbi said:
What happened to this plan? I was under the impression as I was getting ready to depl that it was near announcement as a done deal. Cheers.

Each time we get a briefing, another year is added to the roll-out date.
Recently a rep from NDHQ visited us - when we asked question, expecting concrete answers, we learned that key issues were "still under consideration" (in other words, we got the impression that instead of being across the LOD it was bogged down ... e.g. their website hasn't been updated since 2003 ... hmmm ... kinda makes ya wonder ...)

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dpsp/engraph/reservepp_e.asp?sidesection=5&sidecat=16

Yes - it's true - very few folks join for the pension - however, after donating enough blood, sweat and tears ... fair's fair (especially in the case of reservists who've served 20 years on fulltime service).

There is no financial difference between officer and NCM pension plans. None. It's 2% per year for all. The difference comes in when you factor the salary, which is pretty good for MWO/CWO anyway. Public service pensions are the same. The differences are in the terms of service.

My reason for considering commission is that it would allow me to continue going on Ops/overseas. We have lots of opportunities for WO and Lt/Capt, but not many for MWOs.

Acorn

My initial reaction on reading some of the posts was to go off on a rant about the logical inconsistency of complaining about liberals (large and small "l"), the CBC, and hailing the Conservatives as the answer to all of our problems, all while being up in arms about the fact that our society is not completely egalitarian..but I decided not to :-X

Instead, I went to the source:

http://www.dnd.ca/admfincs/dappp/handbook_e.asp?sel=3#toc_Part_III

and I culled out the only reference to pensions being different for officers:

RETIREMENT PENSION BENEFITS
Basic Benefit (Pension) Formula
Two percent x number of years of pensionable service x average pay and allowance for your five consecutive years of highest paid service

Notes:

Pensionable service means the years (complete or partial) to your credit at retirement time. As stated earlier, it includes any periods of elective service regardless of whether you have fully paid for that service. The maximum number of years is 35. Please note that if you have elected for a period of elective service, four years of reserve service counts as one year of pensionable service. Any periods of full time paid service, in the reserve, for which you have elected, of three months or more count as full time in lieu of quarter time for pension purposes.
Your average pay and allowance consists of your five consecutive years of highest paid pensionable service, and will include any period after you completed your 35 years of service, if that pay is the highest.
It is important to note that only Regular Force service is used to determine an entitlement to an annuity, that is, a minimum of 20 years Regular Force time provides entitlement to an annuity while 19 years Regular Force and one year Reserve Force service does not qualify you for an annuity.
Example:

A person who retires with 35 years of service and an average pay of $30,000 over the best consecutive five years, would receive approximately two percent x 35 x $30,000 = $21,000 per annum. (See Section B - Coordination with the CPP and QPP).

If that same person had 25 years of pensionable service, the calculation would be two percent x 25 x $30,000 = $15,000.

Retirement with twenty or more years of continuous Regular Force service on completion of an Intermediate Engagement (IE).
If you retire on completion of an IE with twenty or more years of Regular Force service to your credit, you are entitled to an immediate annuity calculated according to the basic benefit formula above, with no reduction except for the appropriate adjustment for the CPP and QPP at age 65 or earlier if you are receiving disability benefits under these plans (See Section B on page 35).

Retirement with twenty or more years of Regular Force service while serving on an Indefinite Period of Service (IPS).
An IPS annuity is calculated in one of two ways depending upon the service you have to your credit.

OTHER THAN OFFICERS
If a member has 20 or more years of Regular Force service, an annuity is calculated by determining the amount of the annuity using the basic benefit formula (as for example on page 17) and reducing it by:

five percent for every full year that you are less than your compulsory retirement age (CRA) of 55 at the time of retirement, or five percent for every full year that your Regular Force service is less than 25 years, whichever is less.

Example:

If a member is age 54 with exactly 22 years of service, the calculation would be:

(a) 55 - 54 = 1 year x 5 percent = 5 percent.
(b) 25 - 22 = 3 years x 5 percent = 15 percent.

Since (a) is the least reduction, the annuity would be reduced by 5 percent.

Note: For the purpose of this example it is assumed that the retirement age is 55. There are some to whom other retirement ages apply.

OFFICERS
If a member has 20 or more years of Regular Force service an annuity is calculated by determining the amount of the annuity using the basic benefit formula (as per example on page 29) and reducing it by:

five percent for every full year that you are less than your compulsory retirement age (CRA) at the time of retirement, or five percent for every full year that your Regular Force and any full time paid Reserve service (less LWOP) is less than the number of years required for your rank as set out in QR&O Chapter 15 ( 28 or 30 ) , whichever is lesser.
Example:

If a the officer is age 54 with exactly 25 years of service, the calculation would be:

(b) 28 - 25 = 3 years x 5 percent = 15 percent.

Note: For the purpose of this example it was assumed that the compulsory retirement age is 55 and the years of service required is 28. Other combinations of age and service are possible depending on which terms of service the officer is on and the rank

I'll be honest - I'm not certain that I understand the difference...

If you compare the two paras:
(NCMs):

If a member has 20 or more years of Regular Force service, an annuity is calculated by determining the amount of the annuity using the basic benefit formula (as for example on page 17) and reducing it by:

five percent for every full year that you are less than your compulsory retirement age (CRA) of 55 at the time of retirement, or five percent for every full year that your Regular Force service is less than 25 years, whichever is less.

Example:

If a member is age 54 with exactly 22 years of service, the calculation would be:

(b) 25 - 22 = 3 years x 5 percent = 15 percent.

Note: For the purpose of this example it is assumed that the retirement age is 55. There are some to whom other retirement ages apply.

(Officers):

If a member has 20 or more years of Regular Force service an annuity is calculated by determining the amount of the annuity using the basic benefit formula (as per example on page 29) and reducing it by:

five percent for every full year that you are less than your compulsory retirement age (CRA) at the time of retirement, or five percent for every full year that your Regular Force and any full time paid Reserve service (less LWOP) is less than the number of years required for your rank as set out in QR&O Chapter 15 ( 28 or 30 ) , whichever is lesser.
Example:

If a the officer is age 54 with exactly 25 years of service, the calculation would be:

(b) 28 - 25 = 3 years x 5 percent = 15 percent.

Note: For the purpose of this example it was assumed that the compulsory retirement age is 55 and the years of service required is 28. Other combinations of age and service are possible depending on which terms of service the officer is on and the rank

I'm certainly not an expert, but it seems to me that the major difference (if there is one...) is that officers are specifically allowed to include full time paid Reserve service in calculating their pensionable time, while NCMs are not. I'm not sure why they would make this provision, unless it was to encourage RESO candidates (who had several summers of FTPS by the time they graduated...) to enter the RegF.
In my opinion this provision should be extended to NCMs as well-I see no point in keeping it for officers only. Perhaps an SME in the crowd could comment further? Cheers.

Cpl was good, the best, but some-thing happened just before I made RSM....... ::)
LOL

I would love to become a Warrant one day.  That is a very long ways away though (as I am but a QL3 / DP1 qualified pte) so things can change.

well when i become CDS......Oh wait i think i will have to settle for CF CPO1.

I left the CF a Sergeant in Jan 95, but had the qualifications for WO (SLC and 6B), but the CL B-'A' posn I was filling was for Seargeant only. My 5 yr plan is to get my WOs courses out of the way here in Australia and thru AWOCS (our CFR) I would like to go from Warrant Officer Class Two to Captain, and thats where I would like to end up, maybe an OC of a RAEME TST/TSSU/TSSP before I discharge.

However time will tell. Currently I am happy as Sergeant, and with a move to a new unit in Queesnland (Combat Arms Training Centre, Small Arms Wing) in January, a change is as good as a holiday.

Cheers,

Wes

I'm not in yet, but was told by  a teacher in high school, "why do anything half-assed?"  I'd like to be a warrant.
in the meantime, i'd like to change my name the whole way.
When i'm a private, change my last name to "parts"
When i'm corporal, change it to "punnishment"
and when i'm sergeant, change it to "slaughter" (anybody watch old wwf wrestling?

just kidding.

but i don't think i'd want to be an officer, my recruiter asked me if i thought about it.  maybe after being in for a bit and learning how things work better i might consider it, but for right now i don't think so.  but if i did, that would just open up a whole new list of name possibilities!!!

I'd say my goal is just to do the best I can, and let someone else figure out whether to promote me or give me a swift kick in the rear. There are more important things to spend time thinking about than moving up the ranks - like enjoying where you are right now.

when I do join the CF I want to be a private because than I know that I fufilled my dream to be in the forces and it would just go up from there ;D :soldier:

CWO for me because in my MOC, a Cpl and a CWO do exactly the same job ( although the cheif has more admin to do).  We fly on the same crews and tell the pilots where to go !!!  So if the job is the same, might as well have the rank and pay as well.  Maybe CFR later on, i dont know !

I want to be a Master Corporal.  Of course if CWO ever came my way I would be happy to take it.. (daydreams...) but I think Master Corporal would be a pretty comfortable rank..

Passed it years ago...and they keep giving me more. :dontpanic:

I've already got it. As soon as a pilot is promoted to Maj, they get a ground tour. For me that would mean a paycut due to a loss of Aircrew allowance and Sea Duty Allowance, which after 10 years is in the neighbourhood of $800 a month. Believe it or not, a 10 year pilot Capt can make more than a LCol. So, I'm quite happy where I am.

Cheers

Back