• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What to do?? Need help/advice about Mod 6 PLQ

21trucker

Inactive
Reaction score
OK, here's the deal. I took my CFJLC in 2001, weekend wonder course. A year later, they tell me i need to do my Field portion, because they changed to PLQ. And CSS trades now have to do the field portion. No biggee. I fight with my boss for a few years to get time off in the summer for my courses. In 2004, i do my QL-3, 2005 QL-5. (Joined in 1991, by the way). So this year, i plan on doing my Mod 6 of my PLQ. Problem is, i just applied for a new job with a government agency. Closing date is April 18. My Mod 6 starts May 15. I have been told, that this is the last year i can take my Mod 6, without having to do PLQ all over. Why?? I've always been under the impression, that because it is a leadership course, they cannot  'take it away' from you??
I understand the commitment with the reserves, however, this new job (career) would pay $50,000/yr vs my current (dead end job) $36,000/yr.
I would like to tell my leaders that i want to pass on the Mod 6 for this year, and take it next year. However, i don't want them to think I'm bailing cause i don't want to do it. And i don't want to wait till the last minute, cause it costs $$$, and I'm not the kind to screw over my unit.
Any suggestions??

21trucker said:
OK, here's the deal. I took my CFJLC in 2001, weekend wonder course. A year later, they tell me i need to do my Field portion, because they changed to PLQ. And CSS trades now have to do the field portion. No biggee. I fight with my boss for a few years to get time off in the summer for my courses. In 2004, i do my QL-3, 2005 QL-5. (Joined in 1991, by the way). So this year, i plan on doing my Mod 6 of my PLQ. Problem is, i just applied for a new job with a government agency. Closing date is April 18. My Mod 6 starts May 15. I have been told, that this is the last year i can take my Mod 6, without having to do PLQ all over. Why?? I've always been under the impression, that because it is a leadership course, they cannot  'take it away' from you??
I understand the commitment with the reserves, however, this new job (career) would pay $50,000/yr vs my current (dead end job) $36,000/yr.
I would like to tell my leaders that i want to pass on the Mod 6 for this year, and take it next year. However, i don't want them to think I'm bailing cause i don't want to do it. And i don't want to wait till the last minute, cause it costs $$$, and I'm not the kind to screw over my unit.
Any suggestions??

Print this out.

Take it to your chain of command.

If your new job is with a government agency, perhaps they would willing to give you the time off.

I recently got hired for a co-op term this summer with the City of Brampton as an inspector / assistant operations technician.

The reserves went a long way in helping me get the job as the city felt that military experience would be beneficial in helping me, as a prospective employee, deal with the stress and long periods for this summers projects.

With all the projects happening in the city this summer, it would be a rather large burden for the city if I were to leave in august for CAC, especially since that period is the craziest as contractors try to get the projects done on time and not be given financial penalties.  Despite this I was told on my interview that I could probably get the time off since it's for a worth cause, and I'm a mere temp worker!

So, I would suggest explaining to your new boss the benefits to them off your training, as I did with Brampton that got me the job.  Also, you should talk to your chain regarding assistance in getting the time off.  Reservists have a lot of resources to help them get the time off if they persue them, it's no guarantee, but it helps.

Back