• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

what to do to be FE

Okay, I've had the Trenton thing further clarified a bit.  The C-checks that the guys'll be doing are the periodics that are currently done by Cascade.  Cascade will still be working on the legacy Hercs, but they'll now have military personnel doing the periodics on them.  The C-check crew will also be doing heavy snags (2nd line), which is where I got confused between 2nd and 3rd line.  Basically, the heavy snags crew that was disbanded about 5 years ago is coming back, and they'll be doing periodics as well.  I've been told that some of the Cascade personnel will be doing J-model periodics, which is why they need some more guys for the H-models.

*whew*

Hopefully that made more sense.

HH,

Thanks for the info. It's greatly appreciated. One thing I've noticed is that there is a lot people who have no idea what they're talking about. I'm trying to shoot for a THS to make things easier but we'll see how it goes.

otis1111 said:
HH,

Thanks for the info. It's greatly appreciated. One thing I've noticed is that there is a lot people who have no idea what they're talking about. I'm trying to shoot for a THS to make things easier but we'll see how it goes.

Ask for Petawawa, and you'll have a couple of choices in a few years. 

If a candidate meets the OT requirements to FE, the CO's endorsement can go a long way to helping the member come back to the unit if that's their wish.

Cheers
G2G

No problem Otis.  Feel free to PM me if you have any more direct questions or would like a contact at your squadron I can probably hook you up.

HH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-kPa6yqx7w

In this video, it mentions FE can have a chance to operate machine guns in the air.
Does that mean FE would have combat missions?

Do FE perform Combat rescue missions as well?

Does the AVS tech and AVN tech have identical career path toward being a FE?

nickanick said:
It would be a misnomer to state that any trade's career path ends up as another trade. 

If you are asking whether or not being an AVS vice an AVN provides the same opportunities for possible transfer to the FE trade, you would be correct. I believe that for quite some time now the FE trade is accepting transfers from the AVS MOSID - however - I truly believe that having an AVN background would provide that much better of a skillset for the FE trade (personal opinion only).

nickanick said:

For an AVS tech (who of course are all very smart people, see profile  :)) I think a more natural move, with greater odds of success, would be to AES Op.

Baden  Guy said:
For an AVS tech (who of course are all very smart people, see profile  :)) I think a more natural move, with greater odds of success, would be to AES Op.

You said AVS, smart and AESOP in the same sentence....hahahahaha...sorry, too easy ;D

nickanick said:
Are there any trades that contain both duty of loadmaster and FE?

FE's are qualified and authorized to do most of the things that a LM can do but no hybrid trade as has been discussed before.  The problem with a hybrid trade is that only FE's have maintenance experience, whereas AESOps and LMs do not necessarily have that background.

HH

HeavyHooker said:
whereas AESOps and LMs do not necessarily have that background.

Way back when, on arriving to Sqn, we were trained to do A/B/AB checks on a significant portion of the aircraf as part of our formal category upgrade.

I also loaded luggage & cargo and fixed systems while in flight so I guess you could say I incorporated stuff from LM and FE  ;)

I did a little research in becoming a FE, and many people believe this is a dying trade.
Is this really that worst time being a FE? Would CF eliminate the trade?

This, simply put, is not the case.  The Chief of Air Staff put out a memo in 2008 stating this and the case for FE's has only grown since.  The rumour was that with the retiring legacy fleets, the newer models would not need FEs so the trade would become defunct.  The C 17 and new C 130s do not have FE's on them and that was the beginning of the rumour.  The C 130J is now very close to bringing back the FE position as well, by the way.

Military choppers will always have Flt Engs aboard as well.  Ask any pilot the value of an FE and you will understand how necessary his FE is.  I can assure you that the FE position is not going anywhere!

HH

HeavyHooker said:
I can assure you that the FE position is not going anywhere!

The trade certainly is changing though, with AM Sup, no ?

Sr NCOs are yes.  But our flying positions are still the same.  Essentially once you hit WO, you become more of an administrator and tied more into the AVN world to bridge that gap.  That also comes with us downranking several positions.  ie. MCpls have become D/Lds of Flts and Sgts as Flt Leads.

There is some questions as to how well AMSup will be worked in to our rank structure with our critical shortages too.  We simply need those WOs to fly as FICs, Stds, etc.  I believe 2015 it is supposed to be implemented...  The whole AMSup seems pretty fluid and flexible

Back