• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What to expect after BMQ as a NES OP

MasterInstructor

Inactive
Reaction score
I have seen few people asking the same questions to here is a summary...

After BMQ;

Finish your Basic

Come to Esquimalt wait for your QL3 Course as a PAT (Personnel waiting training) During this time, you will be employed at different units when required. You might get to sail, do manual labor, participate in ceremonies. This waiting period is hard and long and depends on many factors. I waited for 8 months, some wait 3-4. It depends on your security clearance ( you need SECRET ) and number of people waiting...

Your QL3 is approximately 4.5 months. After your QL3, you will be posted or attached posted to a ship. (Esquimalt)

You can expect your QL4 course after 1 year upon completion of your QL3. That being said, you might not get it until later due to sailing etc. (Halifax or Esquimalt)

You can expect your QL5A course once your are ready to be promoted to LS ( 4 years in ) After your 5A and LS you will start getting spec pay. (Halifax or Esquimalt)

If there are any questions let me know!

Stacked said:
As for accommodations in Esquimalt, you'll live in Nelles Block. Nelles is alright, just hope you get good Room Mates. The food is pretty good, but can get bring really fast.

Forgot about this, Nelles really sucks! It did for me anyways, I was able to get out of there even before my QL3. As soon as I got there, i had to write few memos. Complete a few week program called NEIP. After that, I was able to move out to my own apartment.

Once you are on your own, you can start building a life, have your place, girlfriend etc. I highly recommend everyone to move out as quickly as possible! There are cheap places around and you will be getting $800 PLD and not paying R&Q....

Stacked said:
You're not aloud to do that anymore, have to have your 3's. I believe it changed this past October.  If I could move off I'd be long gone. I have immediate family members who live in Sooke.

I will double check this... When I was in school, NES Ops usually moved out easily and other combat trades had difficulty. It mostly depends on the PO1 and CPO2 of your trade... They have to sign your memo before it goes higher up...  In Blackrock, if you proved to be a decent guy who will not get in shit, it was easy to move out. I have always heard from NCI Ops / Sonar Ops  that they were not allowed to move out.

I will check the latest situation and post again.

Stacked said:
My buddy is at Blackrock, he got a resounding NO in regards to moving out.  I'm a Sonar Op, and it's the same deal.

So what about LS who CT'd and are on PAT are they treated the same way and not allowed to live out?

Chief Stoker said:
So what about LS who CT'd and are on PAT are they treated the same way and not allowed to live out?

Anyone can live out with permission.  I think a CT'd LS would be looked at differently.

As for PAT in general, it's a good opportunity to take a dive or other course if you're so inclined.  You can also volunteer to got to sea in  other ships.  ORIOLE is also a possibility.

Pusser said:
Anyone can live out with permission.  I think a CT'd LS would be looked at differently.

As for PAT in general, it's a good opportunity to take a dive or other course if you're so inclined.  You can also volunteer to got to sea in  other ships.  ORIOLE is also a possibility.

I was just curious how a LS would be treated. I was also very surprised of the comments of the average day of a PAT, I expected them to be more gainfully employed as they are now.

I do think PATs can be employed a lot more effectively.

Couple things for example;

Get their NETP done ( some get it some don't )

Attach post them to units who are getting ready to into ditch to help with de-stroring. I have done this a few times but mostly daily basis, not a proper 1-2 onto attach posting.

Attach post them to ships as Mollys alongside/sailing.

Truth is, PATs are not employed effectively. At the same time it is important to note that past year or two have been super busy for the school, Blackrock anyways. Everyone says how many new recruits came through. Looks like it is slowing down now..

Back