• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What Was/Is Your Biggest Obstacle?

1) V4, applied for combat engineer, switched to supply tech until I can get surgery
2) 40 minutes ride to reserve unit  :boring:

Frank G said:
1) V4, applied for combat engineer, switched to supply tech until I can get surgery
2) 40 minutes ride to reserve unit  :boring:

40 minutes? ha, try roughly 2 1/2 hours to the CFRC. :p

Marshall said:
40 minutes? ha, try roughly 2 1/2 hours to the CFRC. :p
Ha, try about 5 hrs!

Frank G said:
Same problem here, I think anyway. But as a just in case measure I have Comm Rsh Op as my option.

My physical condition, I must say.

I'm physically "fit", as in, I can meet and surpass all the physical standards (Express and BFT), but in the long run, I've got some serious physical issues.

For starters, I have completely flat feet.  This makes ruckmarches and morning runs difficult.  My condition also lead to damage to my knees.  For this, I was recoursed in Basic.  I barely made it through the second time around.  Four months later, I've developed shin splints.  This is excruciating for the same activities (ruck/pt).  This is unfortunate, as I have SQ coming up in a couple months (after I finish Phase1 of my QL3's).  The good news is that there is no SQ until early/mid February, so I have the Christmas break and then some to get these issues sorted out.  Such means would be as simple as reducing the high impact activities, building up my quads, buying new shoes/finding better orthotics and rest, most important of all.

Overall I don't think it's anything I can't overcome.

LoKe said:
My physical condition, I must say.

I'm physically "fit", as in, I can meet and surpass all the physical standards (Express and BFT), but in the long run, I've got some serious physical issues.

For starters, I have completely flat feet.  This makes ruckmarches and morning runs difficult.  My condition also lead to damage to my knees.  For this, I was recoursed in Basic.  I barely made it through the second time around.  Four months later, I've developed shin splints.  This is excruciating for the same activities (ruck/pt).  This is unfortunate, as I have SQ coming up in a couple months (after I finish Phase1 of my QL3's).  The good news is that there is no SQ until early/mid February, so I have the Christmas break and then some to get these issues sorted out.  Such means would be as simple as reducing the high impact activities, building up my quads, buying new shoes/finding better orthotics and rest, most important of all.

Overall I don't think it's anything I can't overcome.

I had shin splints for so long (3 years) and the doctors did not know why they would not go away. Hated those things, tried almost every trick in the book.. I ended up just rollerblading instead of running, and when I lost around 40+ pounds they went away.. So the weight was the problem for me I guess.. I hope you get rid of them because I know how they feel and how discouraging they can be..

And @Beaver: Darn.. you win.

On the issue of shin splints, I have the same problem, but the main cause for it for me is the arch in my feet, my physiotherapist said she's never seen such arches, and the stretching of them is one of the biggest causes for my shin splints(I'm thinking the fact that I'm 210 pounds, compared to 165 in january might help too).

I've survived so far but I'm looking into custom insoles and such for the boots to get some arch support in the feet, I recommend this for anyone who has arches at all since it helps alot, plus from what I hear they're fairly cheap(30-40$)

For me, it was the pre-sec and being told at the CFRC, that it could take up to two years to clear.  :eek: Not that I didn't understand the need for a pre-sec but the thought of having to wait two years was a little discouraging.

However, it was cleared in just two months! I just had to stay patient and remain positive :) Within a week, I completed my medical and interview and now am waiting to see if I will be merit listed. All I can do now is wait! 

LoKe said:

I was wondering if you have tried running shoes that are made for runners with flat feet. You probably have, but here are a few links that might help someone else, if not you :)

1. The best running shoe for you: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319--4615-0,00.html

2. Wet test and what shoe is right for you: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-326-7152-0,00.html

3. Leveling with flat feet: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-326-532-0,00.html

4. Videos on over-pronation, under-pronation and normal pronation

Before, from when I was first  thought about joining while I was in the air cadets to recently, combination of emotional and identity issues at the time got in the way which resulted in poor marks in High School, lack of experience, and so on. Then even with that resolved, it was a concern of legal issue and lack of CF seriousness/practice in 'equal opportunity' (in comparison to now). So I was convinced it would be pointless trying, despite success with other government funded organizations that I applied and participated/worked for like Katimavik. Even after getting to the point of it being a non-issue wherever I go and work for, as well getting the legal issues resolved, I was focus on moving to Montreal and starting University, which was another thing I previously thought I would never able to do. Once in Montreal, nearly half way into University, and achieving the goal of getting into a sport previously blocked by legal issues, it was only in the recent past month that I realized I have the opportunity to achieve another goal and interest previously blocked or considered not probable.   

There was also the whole thing of being involved in anti-war, anti-globalization, feminist, and such groups, helping organize, marshal, and participate protests and marches. Overtime, I tone it down and limited to events I care about, as well to focus on other things in life. Even with the other interests and groups which I am still involved in, just seem huge contrast to even consider military. At one point I even considered applying for Ottawa Police, whom I have interesting relations  with (go against officers during a protest one day, and then work with the police the next day about something else). Always had a balance, centrist, middle of the road views of life, world, and politics, providing an unique perspectives on things with whoever I am involved or work with. After moving to Montreal and leaving behind most of my friends, I felt freer, despite continued devil advocate type contrast within Poli Sci and Women's Studies (appear as leftist in one, and right in the other, interestingly enough). Also allowed me to drop off much of my activist commitments by moving, and in turn focus on school despite being part of one student organization and doing roller derby, both of which would be at odds, receiving lots of raised eyebrows at me applying for the military, which I would appear odd in as well.

At present, there is still some obstacles, yet they can be overcome, or simply made a non-issue. Physically I am already half way there, and I am sure can pull off the upper strength of PT requirements before summer. I have a couple bad marks in University from the first year due to essay screwups which can also pose a problem, but I plan to redo those two classes at some point later on while hoping third term marks increases my GPA despite some complications this past Fall. I require glasses/eye contacts, but are not huge factor considering some of the occupations I am interested in. -2.75 for one and -2.25 for the other, so not sure how that translates the 'vee' ranks. I manage quite well with eye contacts which I started wearing this past year for roller derby, yet understand there can be situations where contacts are impractical in the military. Then is the allergy to penicillin and that other thing I had to deal with long before that is now a non-issue which may pose problems in medical. In the reliability side, credit check can pose a problem due to recent financial situation derived from juggling school, work, and finding another cheaper place to live with unexpected complications, something I intend to have under control by January anyway, and caught up before summer.

So yes, about the only things I can think of being possible and most likely problems in my application.

hmm...biggest obstacle?
I'd have to say push-ups. I know, I know, 'why are you trying to join the military if you can't even handle push ups!?'
is what comes to mind...I can do the sit-ups, I can do the running, hell even the ruck march doesn't scare me but I struggle with 'girly' push-ups let alone the CF standard. I'm not worried though, time is all I need to show improvement, and time is all I got.
Everyone's got a mountain to climb...bonne chance to all!

My non life-threatening, easily avoidable shellfish allergy. The best part is, my father had it too and it didn't hold him up one bit when he joined the RCDs 20 years ago :mad:

Times have changed.  His CFAT wasn't electronically recorded for eternity.  His alergies may not have been tested for or found at the time of enrolment.  Medicals may not have been as detailed, or reviewed.  Numerous reasons, why someone 20 years ago may have got into the CF, but would not be able to now. 

The "Information Age" and "Medical advances" were not the same in 1988 as they are in 2008.  He had hardcopies of his docs.  Today, everything is electronic and more easily accessed (  :-\  ) .

George Wallace said:
Times have changed.  His CFAT wasn't electronically recorded for eternity.  His alergies may not have been tested for or found at the time of enrolment.  Medicals may not have been as detailed, or reviewed.  Numerous reasons, why someone 20 years ago may have got into the CF, but would not be able to now. 

The "Information Age" and "Medical advances" were not the same in 1988 as they are in 2008.   He had hardcopies of his docs.  Today, everything is electronic and more easily accessed (  :-\  ) .

Oh I am fully aware of why it is holding me up and the logic behind it (though in my case it could quite safely be disregarded, were such things done) but it's kind of the straw that broke the camel's back. Even by CF standards, my application process could best be equated to pouring molasses in january...in siberia.

Making everyone around me understand that Army doesn't necessarly mean War and Death.. Plus there ain't any brainwash or things like that..  When you dream or want to do something but everyones around you is blaming or shitting on your dream, that's pretty messy.

Hey Big Burn,
you're going to find some people object to the idea of you joining up but it's your life and you have to do what's right for you.
Trust me, I've had many a heated debate with family and friends over applying (one friend thinks i'm volunteering to go to a glorified prison, my sister thinks I'm wasting my life and my mom is scared I'll become an alcoholic) and all you can do is know what you're getting into and convince them that this is the right thing for you to do.
For or against the CF, in time, your family will support you if you show them that you've made an educated decision.
Don't let anyone discourage you, not even yourself
good luck!

Big burn said:
Making everyone around me understand that Army doesn't necessarly mean War and Death.. Plus there ain't any brainwash or things like that..  When you dream or want to do something but everyones around you is blaming or ******** on your dream, that's pretty messy.

Ive heard that this entire time waiting for ROTP. Ive convinced a lot of people with facts since then. But it can be a pain. Ah well, worth it. :)

I sure ain't gonna stop working for the army only because the people around me don't think that's a right decision but as you said it is my responsability to show them they were wrong and what is good for me is good for em'. But you know, sometimes it is just appreciated to hear from its family and friends that your job ain't so bad. It is just because the army is more mediatic than other "normal" job and by the way more critisized by mr and miss everyone that knows everything about the army...

Considering I signed the dotted line in 1976- my biggest obstacle was putting up superiors who didn't have a clue what was going on and then having to do their job while covering up for them. Whew that was a loaded answer....

In the other thread you said you had over 37 years service. Which is it? If you're going to go around here ranting, giving bad advice and......whatever else, at least try keep your story straight.

Back