• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What was your price Stronach??????

Hi Guys:
Sorry, been off for a while, Now, I DID sneak into the riding association meeting, and even a few other more limited gatherings...

For the Ottawa-West Nepean riding - Two rather large names have appeared: Penny Collenette and Jim Watson. JMcLeod... You were right about the Watson thing, but the Collenette one was something I had heard and placed little credence in...

Now she is an interesting candidate - both political and business backed...

Cheers...

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/Columnists/Matthews_Geoff/2006/10/21/2087012.html

Dog House antics all too Commons

By GEOFF MATTHEWS

Oh good heavens. I'm getting a migraine.

Here I sit, reading the latest chapter in the riveting story about what Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay may (or may not) have said in the House of Commons.
From the howling reaction, you'd think the minister had demanded public beheadings for jaywalkers or at the very least, the reversal of the code of human rights.

Liberal House Leader Ralph Goodale said MacKay's remarks were all too typical of "bullies, intolerant and vindictive," while the Bloc urged Prime Minister Stephen Harper to kick MacKay out of cabinet.
And what, exactly, did the mild-mannered Nova Scotian do to bring such vituperative attacks on himself? Well, he may (or may not) have referred to his one-time girlfriend Belinda Stronach as a dog.
According to a barely-audible exchange caught on audiotape, someone in the Commons asked "what about your dog?" and someone else on the floor responded: "You have her."

Speculation was that the questioner was asking MacKay about the well-publicized picture of himself at home in Pictou County with the family pet in the days after Stronach jilted both him and the Tories to win herself an immediate promotion to cabinet as a born-again Liberal.
And according to those who would make mountains out of molehills, MacKay, in response to the question, nodded toward Stronach's seat and issued the "you have her" response to the dog question.
On the Richter scale of insults that regularly fly in the Commons, his smart-aleck remark should have registered about 0.5.

Oh no. Not when there's political mileage to be made. Suddenly MacKay's remark was elevated from tacky putdown to sexism that should not be tolerated in a civilized society.
Stronach, who wasn't even in the House at the time, said she was "really disappointed that Peter MacKay would say something like that ... It is really a reflection of the character and of the attitude of this government toward women."
NDP MP Judy Wasylycia-Leis called the alleged remark "sexist and demeaning," adding: "I thought we were at a place in this House where women were no longer demeaned."

Such is the state of our political system. Is it any wonder the average Canadian is sick to death of the foolishness in Parliament?

"Teacher, teacher, he stuck out his tongue at me."
"Did not."
"Did too."
What is this? Kindergarten? Or a bunch of highly-paid men and women we elect, supposedly to have serious discussions about the affairs of the day?

The rest of us are wondering how we can find a family doctor. We're trying to scrape together enough to pay our taxes and enrol our kids in hockey and soccer and dance lessons.
We're wondering whether world war is about to break out and we're praying our brave soldiers will return home safely. We're sick to death about famines and disease outbreaks in far-off lands and the threat of terror attacks here at home.
And our fat-ass politicians have nothing better to worry about than whether one of them made a cheapshot joke about another.

Liberal MP Tina Keeper was right about one thing. Such behaviour wouldn't be tolerated on a schoolyard. But it wasn't MacKay's alleged remark that should have been the target of her attack. It should have been the childish, ridiculous, overblown reaction from members of Parliament who have to know better.

To all of them I say: Sit. Quiet. Don't speak. Bad dog.

How in the world did insulting someone of the opposite sex become sexist? 
I, personally, think it was the 'barb of the year' and worthy of a "22 minutes" skit.

Well done to Geoff Matthews.

I fear we are seeing a return to Rat Pack politics: with a McGuinty in the lead no less.....sigh...

Kudos to MP Tina Keeper for elevating the debate. The real question is when will the House, start getting serious. When will the Opposition stop engaging rabid attacks? When will Ministers start sitting down instead of answering barbs?

If I had one piece of advice to MP's it would be this, do not dignify attacks (from either side) once this BS starts, sit down and let the Speaker sort it out. Silence will speak many more volumes than an extemporaneous response. Mr McKay misstepped in a fit of trying to play one-up-man-ship with Mr McGuinty. Next time, sit down, Peter and STFU, your tormentor will look like a boob, not you...

Watch the PM's Question Period from Westminster some day, it can usually be found on CPAC. Gawd, I wish my tax dollars went toward that instead of what we get.

Oh, and Belinda, get over yourself..

cplcaldwell said:
Kudos to MP Tina Keeper for elevating the debate. The real question is when will the House, start getting serious. When will the Opposition stop engaging rabid attacks? When will Ministers start sitting down instead of answering barbs?

If I had one piece of advice to MP's it would be this, do not dignify attacks (from either side) once this BS starts, sit down and let the Speaker sort it out. Silence will speak many more volumes than an extemporaneous response. Mr McKay misstepped in a fit of trying to play one-up-man-ship with Mr McGuinty. Next time, sit down, Peter and STFU, your tormentor will look like a boob, not you...

Watch the PM's Question Period from Westminster some day, it can usually be found on CPAC. Gawd, I wish my tax dollars went toward that instead of what we get.

Totally agree, first day in question period I would make enemies a'plenty telling EVERYONE to sit and STFU so I could listen to whomever was speaking.

cplcaldwell said:
Oh, and Belinda, get over yourself..

....carefull Tie doesn't come over and hockey fight ya....

It is a bit ridiculous for the liberals to be saying that women have been insulted by Peter MacKay's (alleged) remark about Stronach. That  assumes that we all feel that that lady personifies us, and I for one certainly don't. I don't think much of her and  actually find it insulting that the liberals are supposing that we are so much like her that we are offended as well. Belinda Stronach is not the figurehead of womanhood. The insult was directed at her and her alone.
I actually thought the comment to be funny but it should not have been uttered in such a public setting, very stupid if it turns out he actually said it, and Mr.MacKay would deserve some flak for being such a nit.
Just to be clear, I am only calling Mr.MacKay an (alleged)nit not all men. ::)
;D

I find it funny that the conservatives are being criticized for one person allegedly calling old Belinda a dog when the only so called evidence of the word was actually used by a liberal "what about your dog?"

Its also nice to see that major political decisions are being sidelined for a he said/she said pissing match.

neko said:
It is a bit ridiculous for the liberals to be saying that women have been insulted by Peter MacKay's (alleged) remark about Stronach.  ;D

I agree. A lot of the dogs I know are men. And I'm a girl.

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
Its also nice to see that major political decisions are being sidelined for a he said/she said pissing match.
AGREED! Then again they did cut funds to the status of Women in Canada... >:D

Message to Mr.Harper.......I would ask the Liberals if they would be so upset if Mr. McKay had called the male questioner a "dog" and when they answer 'well no, of course",  I would then ask the nation which party has REALLY shown it is sexist.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Message to Mr.Harper.......I would ask the Liberals if they would be so upset if Mr. McKay had called the male questioner a "dog" and when they answer 'well no, of course",  I would then ask the nation which party has REALLY shown it is sexist.
+2

Who is making this a mountain out of a ant hill? The media. The liberal/Liberal media. And the opposition, seeing they are getting sound bites, are piling on. On Thursday's CTV Mike Duffy Live, guest host Jane Tabor spent the whole hour bubbling over this story, as if this was the most important political news in the world. Do not forget that Bell owns CTV, MacLeans, Bell Express View, various radio station chains, speciality channels. CTV's, I believe director of news, took a leave of absence twice to work high up in the Liberals election campain.  Do not forget, BS has been NAMED as the other women in a divorce. She is/was fooling around with a married man with school aged children. A couple of weeks ago, the two of them were seen out for dinner in Toronto. Some ethical example. She feels bad because of the remark? Give me a break. As some bloggers state, it is an insult to dogs to compare her to a dog.

Well, personally, my 2 rough collies are up in arms over the alleged comment. They are both off writing up letters of protest to the Government over its over use of canine-ism.  They are demanding it stop.  My male is ready to create protest placards and march on the Hill.  My female is affronted that a human female is considered even close to being dog like, after all my female says, it takes generations of fine pedigree and breeding programs to come up with a face like hers (my dog's not Stronach's).  I'm not sure how I'll live with them until this is resolved... ;)

niner domestic said:
Well, personally, my 2 rough collies are up in arms over the alleged comment. They are both off writing up letters of protest to the Government over its over use of canine-ism.  They are demanding it stop.  My male is ready to create protest placards and march on the Hill.  My female is affronted that a human female is considered even close to being dog like, after all my female says, it takes generations of fine pedigree and breeding programs to come up with a face like her (my dog's not Stronanch's).  I'm not sure how I'll live with them until this is resolved... ;)

Dakota gives you a +3

niner domestic said:
Well, personally, my 2 rough collies are up in arms over the alleged comment. They are both off writing up letters of protest to the Government over its over use of canine-ism.  They are demanding it stop.  My male is ready to create protest placards and march on the Hill.  My female is affronted that a human female is considered even close to being dog like, after all my female says, it takes generations of fine pedigree and breeding programs to come up with a face like her (my dog's not Stronanch's).  I'm not sure how I'll live with them until this is resolved... ;)

And dogs are  more loyal than Stronach too, they must feel extremely insulted. My lovely boy is deaf so he hasn't heard all the rucus or he'd be a bit snarly too.

Back