• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What were the proudest moments in your CF career?

• Thread starter Veteran`s son
  • Start date
Hello everyone:

Thought that I would mention this topic again as there may be others who would like to reply! :)

I was once awarded a number of gold medals for pistol shooting and made the 1 CMBG pistol team as a trooper...A very proud moment!

Hmmm...proudest moment....well haven‘t been in the CF very long (a few months) so my proud moments aren‘t that great compared to some of these up here :)
Probably my grad parade on basic....and finishing all those **** ruck marches...not quitting even though it was ever so tempting.

My proudest moment was on my basic, when we went on a five-day defensive ex in which we only got three hours of sleep in the 5 days. It rained 3 of those days and my trench was all clay so it kept the water in pretty well. My trench partner got hypothermic (or close to it), so I had to take care of him. From the long nights of being at stand-to whilst hallicunating and the hasty withdrawal in which we had to run the last 500m with full rucks, getting myself and my fireteam partner through it was my proudest moment.

I would have to agree with Pte. Scarlino, My proudest moment is just about the same, minus the hypothermia, instead I had a guy who decided he didn‘t want to be in the army on his last night.
My proudest moment of that particular event was when were finished and I looked back at the length which we had ran and smiled realising it was done.

I thought that other members may want to share the proudest moment(s) in their CF career! :)

mine was finishing a  march 32 kms long as a reservist. it was down in california as a work up for bosnia . i remember a who;e bunch of ppl dumping on me for my stature {stout would be a good term} . in the end after i crossed the line it was turn around to sweep the entire MOUT site and most of those who hacked on me were still tricling in on the bus as they didnt finish the trek .... 

On my QL2 grad in 94 my grandfather(former WO2 in the "old army,veteran(33-59)of WW2)came to watch me grad.He was front row centre in his legion uniform,compleate with medals.chatin away to my Hon.Col.who had a rack the size of your left arm,who he had served with in Italy.All through the ranks I heard people wispering about the guy with all the medals and I didd'nt clue in till afterwards that they were talkin about my grandfather.
That day I put a little extra"up 6,down 12"in my drill.....

Wow-there are some really great posts here. Most impressive. It makes you think hard to read through them all. Obviously, despite all the negative things that bother us these days, we can still reach back and point to moments that give us some pride in our service. I have had a few of these moments over the years, and I hope I can have a few more before I'm done. Cheers.

Rememberance day Parade 2003.

My daughter, who was one years old, was pulling at my gongs in the mess after the parade.

I dreamt about that day since I was 17.   I used to see it all the time with the older memebers and vets, and I couldm't wait for my day when i had a little one come see her pops on parade.

tess

Several (try as I might, I simply couldn't settle on just one ... which is probably a good thing, since to do so would be an implicit admission that I'd reached a pinnacle of some sort ... chuckle):

1.  Wearing full dress for the first time, for my family (first as a private, and then again as an officer - my grandfather was a private in the Boer War, and my uncle was a sergeant during the Second World War).
2.  Receiving a letter from LGen Belzile stating that I was a credit to the Army.
3.  Flying home in uniform from CABC with my jump wings sewn on (followed many moons later by having my German jump wings pinned on in Altenstadt - Danke Schein, Oberst-Leutnant Engel).
4.  Courses:
a.  Passing BOTC (and having my first platoon comd come up to me at the course party, shaking my hand and saying he didn't think I was going to pass but that he had to hand it to me for doing so - that simple gesture meant the world to me at the time).  Getting an "A" on my Young Officers' Tactics course, top student on my Senior Officer Staff Course, passing my cbt tm comd crse, passing MCSC as a mere captain (when majors failed); and
b.  Instructing on any course that I once took as a student (I won't bore you with the list).
5.  Officially being granted the designation of DS (Directing Staff) at Staff College in Toronto (yes, I've got it in writing).
6.  When a tiny, frail, elderly woman walked up to me and said "Thank you for bringing peace to our village" (on Op AKWESASNE), and years later when I met an elder at a conference and he told me how this history was now being passed down.
7.  Every time I have the opportunity to speak in public, in uniform.
8.  Op ATHENA (everything, right from pre-deployment trg to when I was back home and my five-year-old son told me one day in a teensy, tiny voice ... "Daddy, I wanted to go to Afghanistan with you").
9.  Wait and see ...

The look in my Father's eyes whenever he had the chance to see his former oft-troubled and wayward son in uniform and
for things I did I would say the two SSF Ironman competions I finished.

Proudest Moment would Have to be Finishing My 3's And on parade the Clouds Parted and The Sun Shone and I Knew My grandfather was Watching me From Above

Im Proud To share the Same Rank as My Granddad

Passing the dreaded Cornwallis when so many said I wouldn't make it...Somehow Battleschool was easier, don't know why!?

Being presented with my gold shooting Medals in front of the entire brigade back in '92 after winning a shooting match with a beat-up old browning high-power. (Five rounds and one handed at fifty meters - I got 41 out of 50) as a junior trooper.

Slim

I had two, the first one was just before I left for Bosnia my step dad who is a Vietnam vet and knows the crappy side of defending country's said to me keep your head down and see you back in a few months. not sure why but from that day on things changed between us for the good. The second was when I went into the airforce (from the Reserves). My Grand Mother said she has never been prouder of anyone in the family. She is a very patriotic person and is happy of what we all do. Those two days my chest swelled out and it made me proud of what others and I do for our country. Although their are many examples of why I am proud of why I am and I do in the military, I think it is suffice to say it has to do with the freedom we all enjoy. That sounds corny but its true

I think I had two that standout, even now ... the first involved me, a few other young would-be heroes and the Minesing Swamp; folks of a certain age will remember that place, back when the school of foot was in Camp Borden.   I was raised on a farm and I was a pretty fair athlete etc, but that was, to that point, the hardest thing I had ever done.   I think everyone who went through that exercise remembers it â “ and is proud to have completed it; there was so much at stake - especially our barely post adolescent personal pride, and so much to be learned â “ especially about working as a real team and about enduring.

The second involved presenting my father's sword to my son, at the start of his MARS 4 graduation parade.

Being presented my Regimental Cap Brass and being told "Welcome to the Regiment."

Having the RSM pull me aside once to ask my opinion (This was much later in my career!)

During an ex with miles gear, I lead the first section of the first platoon of the first company in a massive obua attack.  I had only three of my guys 'killed.'  Considering the standing joke was that my Sect wouldn't even have time to work up a sweat before we got hit, I'm extremely happy with the performance of my team. 

My proudest moment so far?

The day I became a Queens York Ranger and got my Capbadge during the badging ceremony.

[edited, thanks jungle]

J. Gayson said:
My proudest moment so far?

The day I became a Queens York Ranger and got my Capbadge during the bagging ceremony.
Bagging ? Does this have anything to do with a Kilt ??  ;D

Back