• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What would you do?

rmc_wannabe said:
Oh don't let me be any deterrent for coming to CFJSR. We always need people with fresh perspective and experience.

Don't mind him, he's always this grumpy

It is/will be/would be in your best interest to look at a Brigade Posting, if you have managed to dodge that particular bullet up until this point. While Garrison experience is great for developing technical skill-sets, a Brigade position with give you the opportunity to not only work on that side, but as a new MCpl, it will provide the chance to hone & develop your leadership and man-management skills. Not only that: The Brigades tend to result in faster career progression (usually, if you are a strong Mcpl). That said: All of those positions have something to offer, but at that rank, in JSR: I hope you're single, or don;t have kids, because you will pretty much always be on your way "somewhere" for "something"...

LCIS-Tech said:
It is/will be/would be in your best interest to look at a Brigade Posting, if you have managed to dodge that particular bullet up until this point. While Garrison experience is great for developing technical skill-sets, a Brigade position with give you the opportunity to not only work on that side, but as a new MCpl, it will provide the chance to hone & develop your leadership and man-management skills. Not only that: The Brigades tend to result in faster career progression (usually, if you are a strong Mcpl). That said: All of those positions have something to offer, but at that rank, in JSR: I hope you're single, or don;t have kids, because you will pretty much always be on your way "somewhere" for "something"...

As an IST, you will often find yourself going "somewhere" for "something" but "something" typically is a 2 week install or fix and you'll be back again.
It's like 10,000 parts moving in ordered chaos. Ones and twos being flung over everywhere but the tasks are varied, interesting and most importantly short.

Hey All,
So looks like a wrench has been thrown into my plans. Family/kids aren't holding me back, but after fighting a TCAT, I have now been put on a PCAT with a G3 restriction incl. enhanced pre-deplyment screening :mad: I suspect that this may be an issue for JSR, which needs their pers to be deployable on short notice, and likely will mean that operational units aren't going to want me either. I suspect, whether I want to or not, I will be posted to a garrison/"baseside" unit. I was hoping to apply to Cansofcom, but now that I don't meet ACISS req of G2, that is out the window too. The restriction is making it so that I need a minimum 6 months notice before even being eligible for deployment  :( I suspect Ottawa may have a spot for me somewhere. Better than release anyway. I talk with the CM at the end of the month so I'll know more then. Thanks everyone for your input.

There are a few in Ottawa that are G3, which is outside our Med standard.  Talk with your CM.  I'm sure he can find you a spot where you can be employed.

There's very few units that require short-notice deployments all the time. So what if you need an extra 6 months? That just means you won't be on a TAT or Roto 0.

PuckChaser said:
There's very few units that require short-notice deployments all the time. So what if you need an extra 6 months? That just means you won't be on a TAT or Roto 0.

Won't be in JSR at all most likely, you need to DAG green before they'll issue a posting message.

That said, there are more places than just JSR in Kingston (if K-town is high on your list) there's significant positions at base, CFSCE shop, CFJOSG, RMC, CDA.

March to the sound of the guns

That is all.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wavre

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:
Won't be in JSR at all most likely, you need to DAG green before they'll issue a posting message.

That said, there are more places than just JSR in Kingston (if K-town is high on your list) there's significant positions at base, CFSCE shop, CFJOSG, RMC, CDA.

The CDA is a good go, especially if you are coming off or getting off of a TCAT. It will put you into a position to move into JSR cost free.

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:

2 ASG Det Kingston as well.

As to the needing to DAG green to have a posting message cut, I have very recently seen that is not always the case. Mbr had dagger red for nearly 2 years and was posted from CFSCE to JSR.

Knowing that this thread is asking about IST positions in Ontario here's what I can offer as a CST working in an IST position at CFS Leitrim. There are very few billets for actual IST MCpl's at CFS Leitrim but that doesn't mean anything for us currently. Upon clearing into the station your background is taken into account and you are placed in a shop where you will be best suited to work or until you get the necessary security clearance. The CoC doesn't "care" if you are IST/CST they perform what they call "man-management".

Back