• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

This from right here in Canada:

Woman denied government job because of race

OTTAWA - A stay-at-home mother trying to re-enter the workforce after nine years away says she can’t understand why the federal government would stop her from applying for a job simply because she is white.

Sara Landriault, a sometime family activist, says that with her kids in school full time she decided to start looking for work outside of the home.

While surfing on the federal government job website, Landriault says she found a position at Citizenship and Immigration Canada she felt she was qualified for but was blocked from submitting her resume because she was not an aboriginal or visible minority.

“I was flabbergasted,” Landriault said in a telephone interview from her home in Kemptville, Ont., just south of Ottawa. “It was insane. I’m white, so I can’t do it?”

Landriault says she has seen job postings in the past that encourage certain groups to apply.

“Which is fine, it’s an equal opportunity position,” Landriault said. “But an equal opportunity employer does not stop one race from applying.”

A CIC spokeswoman takes a different view.

“We are under-represented by aboriginal employees in our work force,” said Melanie Carkner. “At this point in time, the department does meet requirements for visible minorities; however, given the department’s mandate, we make a concerted effort to hire individuals in this group.”

::)

I am split in deciding to post this here or in the Dumbest Criminal thread.

from timminspress.com

Thief armed with poutine steals purse
Posted By THE DAILY PRESS
Posted 7 hours ago

Only in Canada would a thief use poutine as a diversion to snatch a purse.

David Birch, 25, has been sentenced in Timmins provincial court to four months in jail for theft after dumping poutine over a woman's head and running off with her purse.

The woman was an ex-spouse.

Court heard Birch entered a business in Timmins May 20 at 3:30 a.m. where he encountered his former spouse.

Due to previous convictions, Birch was prohibited from having contact with her at the time.

The two argued but then afterwards the victim asked Birch to hold on to two poutines. Birch subsequently dumped one poutine over the woman's head.

He then snatched the victim's purse and fled the establishment. The purse contained valuable items including bank cards and house keys.

Birch was apprehended by police several days later and ordered to return the items to their owner.

Duty counsellor Calvin Ferrier, who represented Birch during the proceeding, advised the court that the couple would like to reconcile.

"I've spoken to the victim, who would be happy to have the accused back in her life providing he pays her the money he owes her," Ferrier said.

Assistant Crown attorney Dale Cox pointed out that the accused is still prohibited from contacting his former girlfriend.

"He's been in court with alarming regularity," said Cox.

kratz:  There's always worse diversions:
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100528/feces-theft-bank-machine-100528/20100528?hub=Toronto
:p

My personal fave of the day - lawyer "insulted" over, gasp, having to follow immigration rules:
Born and raised in New York, Dodi Robbins graduated from Harvard University and has been practising law for 13 years.

Her first language is English. Yet like all other skilled immigrants applying to settle in Canada, the American corporate lawyer must now take a language test to prove her English is good enough to settle here.

“I was outraged, insulted and floored,” said Robbins, who obtained her law degree at Benjamin N. Cardozo Law School in New York. A mother of two, she has been working in Toronto on a work permit for four years as compliance and regulations counsel for an international financial services company.

“I almost fell off the chair. I’ve been practising law here for years and I have to prove my proficiency in English?” ....
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/838085--all-immigrants-face-mandatory-language-test?bn=1

Dissident said:
"MCpl! I swallowed my tongue ring."

"Good, {insert rank here}!  You aren't supposed to have one on in uniform anyway!"  ::)

Dissident said:
"MCpl! I swallowed my tongue ring."

Tell him to wait a day or so and it will be returned....then he can put it back in.... ;D

A recent one after an ND

"I didn't fire the weapon, Warrant, I just pulled the trigger by accident!"

???

I work at a collection agency, so I hear the dumbest comments from the debtors on a daily basis, but I think this next comment which will be coming from a co-worker takes the cake.

Note: The co-worker in this story, sitting next to me is from Afghanistan

During my shift, I was having a conversation with my supervisor about the Canadian Forces, the war in Afghanistan and the recent death of Sapper Brian Collier. In the middle of the conversation the agent sitting next to me blurted out: I am glad they don't come back alive, they shouldn't have stepped foot in my country to begin with.

I was speechless.

Should I report the agent to the HR department for the outrageous and out of line comment?

Nope.  Opinions are everyone's right, and there's no law against being an asshole.

rezz said:
I work at a collection agency, so I hear the dumbest comments from the debtors on a daily basis, but I think this next comment which will be coming from a co-worker takes the cake.

During my shift, I was having a conversation with my supervisor about the Canadian Forces, the war in Afghanistan and the recent death of Sapper Brian Collier. In the middle of the conversation the agent sitting next to me blurted out: I am glad they don't come back alive, they shouldn't have stepped foot in my country to begin with.

I was speechless.

Should I report the agent to the HR department for the outrageous and out of line comment?

Throat Punch.... Repeatedly.... Whatever is left of him after can be shipped back to his Beautiful Homeland which he is so clearly Pining for....

rezz said:

I was speechless.

Or CSIS.

Ask him what the f*ck he's doing in Canada and why isn't he home protecting his land.

rezz  said:

I was speechless.

Interesting view.  Did you think to ask him what he was doing in our country?

"People in this country are so stupid. If they knew their arses from a hole in the ground, they'd elect the Green Party to a majority, or at the very least, the NDP. I'm sick of being oppressed by the Conservatives, it's like I'm living in Pakistan or something. At least with the Green Party, our troops wouldn't be in Iraq anymore, and I'd get more money for school, AND I could probably get away with not paying it back."

Spoken by a 6th year philosophy student from St. Thomas University (still working on his B.A.). He was upset that the Gov't didn't give him what he wanted for loan money. Apparently it was only enough to cover his tuition, rent, and food.

Kat Stevens said:
Nope.  Opinions are everyone's right, and there's no law against being an *******.

The right to free speech guarantees someone will make an a$$ of themselves on a daily basis. That pretty much includes me as well!! ;D

Sapplicant said:
"People in this country are so stupid. If they knew their arses from a hole in the ground, they'd elect the Green Party to a majority, or at the very least, the NDP. I'm sick of being oppressed by the Conservatives, it's like I'm living in Pakistan or something. At least with the Green Party, our troops wouldn't be in Iraq anymore, and I'd get more money for school, AND I could probably get away with not paying it back."

Spoken by a 6th year philosophy student from St. Thomas University (still working on his B.A.). He was upset that the Gov't didn't give him what he wanted for loan money. Apparently it was only enough to cover his tuition, rent, and food.

Sounds like he is a regular contributer to CBC Comments.

Driving in Rush Hour on Yonge St, I ended up stopped next to a Traffic Stop in progress, this is what I heard Verbatim (yay for phones with voice recording)

"Sir, please stop using profanity and show me your proof of ownership and insurance"
"*****, I gave you my mother#*%*@ing licence, now f&@k off!"
"Sir, this is the last time I'm warning you, watch your language and produce your ownership and insurance or you'll recieve a ticket"
"frig YOU 5-0" - at this point, the guy trys to throw the driver door open, at which point the cop takes 2 steps back, takes out his ASP and in about 3 seconds has the guy on the ground
"BRUTALITY, BRUTALITY, HE DOIN IT CAUSE IM BLACK, Y'ALL SEE THIS? Y'ALL SEE THIS?"

and some random guy with a STRONG accent from his car:

"NO, IS CAUSE YOU STUPID"

I almost hit the guy behind me I was laughing so hard I came off the clutch a bit

While working at a LCBO (Liquor store run by the government across ontario) undercover, 2 guys go into the beer fridge and 1 guy grabs a 6pack of Dos Equis and goes, "I never f*** fat chicks, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis".

Back