• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wheelchair-bound Canadian man shot by Texas police

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
This happened last Friday:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/091124/canada/canada_newbrunswick_nb_texas_shooting_fredericton630

A Fredericton man in a wheelchair was shot and killed by police last Friday outside a motel in Texas.

Andrew Reid, 37, was shot by a police officer in the small west Texas city of Fort Stockton where he was staying. The Texas Rangers state police have been brought in to investigate.

The Pecos County Police Department received a call that said a man was involved in a disturbance in the motel's parking lot.

"We got a call from the motel advising that he was out in the parking lot in his wheelchair screaming and hollering and acting crazy and everything," said Sheriff Cliff Harris.

Harris said two officers arrived on scene and tried to calm him down.

However, the officers decided that Reid needed to be arrested and put in jail for creating a "big disturbance."

At that point a scuffle broke out between Reid and the police officers.

"He finally got the other officer's gun again, stuck it in his belly. When the other officer got her gun and fired two shots and fatally wounded him," Harris said.

Heather Reid, the sister of the shooting victim, said her brother was on his way from California to visit a friend in Austin, Texas, when he ran into trouble with the police.

Reid said she doesn't understand how the shooting happened considering her brother was in a wheelchair.

"My biggest question is how a man in a wheelchair got a gun from a police deputy, and ... he got it twice according to what the police sheriff said," she said.

"That is my biggest question, I just don't understand how that could happen."

Reid had been arrested the day before the fatal shooting, but he had been released to a family friend after having a mental health evaluation.

The original incident occurred while police were cleaning up an accident scene on Thursday.

Harris said Reid drove by in his wheelchair and accosted the officers.

"He was very abusive to the officers. He started weaving in and out of traffic," he said.

"At one point he almost ran over the fire chief."

According to Reid's website, he was paralyzed from the waist down in a 1999 surfing accident in San Diego.

He continued in sports as a wheelchair athlete, winning the Canadian Handcycling Championships in 2001.

But he also struggled, writing several accounts of his experiences as a drug addict.

His sister said he was courageous and that her family is hoping for strength to cope with their loss.

"Maybe in the future we can find out what happened, but right now we just have to get through what happened and there's nothing we can do to change it now," she said.

It'll be interesting to see what his tox screen shows...was going to say something disdainful about the abilities of the two deputies concerned, but will reserve judgement since I wasn't there.

MM

“He ended up getting one of the officer’s guns and fired one round off,” Harris said. “It was lucky it didn’t hit anybody. The scuffle went on ... (and) he had the gun stuck in one of the officer’s belly, fixing to pull the trigger when the officer shot him.”

Just reading his 'blog' ...

quite the ironic post by him here ...

Wednesday, Sept 23, 2009 20:22

The only swine shot I'm taking is over my dead body. For ye with ears to hear, voila: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH8O-wUpuyw

Gentlemen, I think we have a BINGO!!

:-X

Back