• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WHEN IS the next Naval Officer Assessment Board (NOAB) ?

Yeah, cake is good.  Maybe I can get a cake shaped like a frigate, or something.

I just find ceriphed fonts more pleasant to read.

misanthropos said:

Yeah, cake is good.  Maybe I can get a cake shaped like a frigate, or something.

I just find ceriphed fonts more pleasant to read.

Save me a slice, I officially been Merit listed for MARs , recruiter said i should know within 1-2 weeks if I'll be on the may 25th NOAB.

Hi All,

I am glad to have finally found a conversation about the upcoming NOAB. I have applied to MAR/S and approximately 2 weeks ago I was declared med 3 fit. I have been bugging the people at my local recruiting centre about finding out here my file currently stands because I have not heard anything yet about the NOAB. Today (Apr 14, 09) I received an email that stated that the Production Officer in the Toronto location did not have any info as to when the next NOAB is. Earlier in this conversation someone said that the NOAB is being held at the end of May. Is there any chance this may have changed? Also has anyone received an invitation for an upcoming NOAB?

Someone has stated that they have been merit listed. What does that mean?

I am optimistic about receiving an invite to NOAB and therefore I am being proactive in furthering my learning about the navy. I wanted to share that I am reading a book called Operation Apollo - The Golden Age of The Canadian Navy in The War Against Terrorism, by Richard Gimblett. For me this book is quite interesting especially in terms of learning how multifunctional and flexible our Navy is. You can most likely pick it up at the library as I did.

As far as things stand right now for me I feel nervous because I feel I am only vaguely familiar with the Navy and the MAR/S trade. However I have chosen to compete for this for several reasons.

I believe that the Navy is a backbone to our homeland security and also the most efficient functioning arm of any military in terms of international presence. I'll quote the book mentioned above:

Our extended coastline, with broad approaches and isolated expanses, requires relatively large ships with good sea keeping qualities. And it simply would be impossible to build a navy that could be everywhere at all times. As a reasonable compromise, our Navy adopted the notion of a roving task group that does not need to return to port to refuel every few days. A direct consequence of that force structure embodying the trinity of capabilities - command and control, operational depth, and integral ascertainment - is a navy with global reach. And that fits precisely with the national strategy of forward security: that Canada is made more secure by seeing to the resolution of global problems at their source, before they can expand to threaten the Canadian heartland. This is not only a measure of the idea of 'the best defence is a good offence'. It speaks also to Canada's acceptance of a responsible role in the global community...Navies cannot hold ground to the extent that an army can. Nor can they reach as swiftly to the far corners of the globe as an airforce. But the ability of a navy to stand off a foreign shore for an indefinite period with substantial combat capability cannot be matched.

It is this required operational flexibility and presence that draws me to the Navy. It seems safe to say that the navy must have its nose in all issues, and this to me is opportunity for a plethora of operational experiences.

As for MAR/S the primary characteristic of the trade that most interests me is the required ability to lead. I believe a leader is born but has to be trained how to execute his/her leadership skills effectively. I believe I have leadership skills that I can highly develop with the appropriate training.

I will stop here. I would appreciate hearing the reasons why some of you have chosen the Navy and perhaps MAR/S. I would like to see if our interests are similar. You may also be able to further inspire me and others.

Please do not forget to metion if you have been invited to the NOAB. I am getting extremely anxious because I have not heard anything yet.

Cheers

boot12 said:
Does anyone happen to have an official website link that outlines/acts as a directive for the NOAB? 

I searched the DND site but was only able to find a brief mention of it in an old recruiting .pdf for NCSE, an article about HMCS Regina, and a court martial, none of which were very substantive.

Cheers.

No. Go there when you are told and do what you are told and you will be fine.  The CFRC/D should provide you all the information you need to give you a rough outline of what happens at NOAB.  Just think of how surprised you will be when they start talking about waterboarding.  Good Luck.

Well I guess it took closer to a month , but the CFRC called this morning and I am going in tomorrow to sort out all of the travel arrangements, then off to Esquimalt for May 25th.

I have also been selected for the NOAB in Vic, May 25-29th. I spoke with my career counselor Tuesday and confirmed that I would be available; she said someone will be getting in touch with me to arrange my travel itinerary.

My name is Jeff, anyone else heading to Vic for the May NOAB feel free to contact me--it would be nice to have a few names to put to faces when we finally all meet up. 

See you in Vic,

Jeff

I received my call up. See you guys in Victoria. I can hardly wait!

-Rohan

Just found this thread, and I'm glad there are so many in my boat (ship? ;) ) that are as excited as I am.  See you all out there!

Also, presuming candidates are successful at the NOAB, does anyone know when the Basic Officer training would be starting?  I've had no luck getting that one answered at the local Recruiting Centre.  I heard September thrown out as a tentative date, but nothing since.

~Kyle

I was told that it would be the Fall BMOQ starting on Sept 7th that we would be loaded on to.
I'm Rohan, I look forward to seeing you in Victoria!

Hey,  Just got word that I will be attending NOAB as well.  Looking forward to seeing you all in Victoria. 

-Dene-

Hey all,

I just got a package in the mail concerning my NAOB (may 25th - 29th) in Victoria. It contains a letter stating I must find my own way to Victoria (I am in Vancouver), an outline on how to complete my expense claim and an outline of the NOAB.

It is missing an address (although on the "flex schedule" it says 1800-2000, Sunday May 24th - Meet and Greet, Gunroom). I am wondering if maybe I am missing something. Was anyone else told any information concerning what to bring or any other info... I haven't even got a phone call. Just this package...

In any event I look forward to seeing you all there and congratulations...

Stephen.

Boudreas said:
Hey all,
I just got a package in the mail concerning my NAOB (may 25th - 29th) in Victoria...
It is missing an address...
Was anyone else told any information concerning what to bring or any other info...
In any event I look forward to seeing you all there and congratulations...

Stephen.

Hullo Stephen,
  The information I received tells me that I need to go to the main entrance of the Naval Officer Training Centre, but doesn't give a street address.  I'm flying in from Fredericton, NB (13 hours of flights and stop overs!), and was told to take a shuttle from the airport that would take me exactly where I need to go.  I don't know if you're driving or flying, but at worst, you could chase the shuttle like an excited puppy.  Another document I have says, 'candidates will be housed in quarters at the CFB Esquimalt Wardroom.  I looked up the 'Wardroom' and came up with http://www.wardroom.ca, which gives it at 1586 Esquimalt Road.

As for what to bring, I was only told that business casual dress was appropriate, and athletic clothing, if you're so inclined.  It's essentially a week long job interview during business hours.  And we're free to explore the city, or whatever, after 1800 most nights.

Hope this helps, and I'll see you there.
Michael

I'll be flying from Sydney , Nova Scotia. My letter said there should be someone waiting there at the airport, and if not to hop the $20 shuttle or grab a cab. Does anyone already have their tickets and know what time they will be arriving in Victoria?

-- Kyle

I'll be landing around 6:30 on the saturday evening.  On the topic of getting there, is anyone else arriving the day before?

~ the other Kyle

I'm also arriving at 1830ish on the 23rd, flight 191 from Toronto.  Pity we won't have uniforms to identify each other.

Michael

misanthropos said:

Hullo Stephen,
  The information I received tells me that I need to go to the main entrance of the Naval Officer Training Centre, but doesn't give a street address.  I'm flying in from Fredericton, NB (13 hours of flights and stop overs!), and was told to take a shuttle from the airport that would take me exactly where I need to go.  I don't know if you're driving or flying, but at worst, you could chase the shuttle like an excited puppy.  Another document I have says, 'candidates will be housed in quarters at the CFB Esquimalt Wardroom.  I looked up the 'Wardroom' and came up with http://www.wardroom.ca, which gives it at 1586 Esquimalt Road.

As for what to bring, I was only told that business casual dress was appropriate, and athletic clothing, if you're so inclined.  It's essentially a week long job interview during business hours.  And we're free to explore the city, or whatever, after 1800 most nights.

Hope this helps, and I'll see you there.
Michael

First off, congratulations on your selection for NOAB. It hopefully should be a rather fun week.

I'd like to help clarify some people's concerns regarding addresses and locations. The NOAB, unless things have changed significantly, isn't held at the Wardroom location on Esquimalt road, nor do you sleep there. The instruction you received to show up at the Naval Officer Training Centre certainly seems to me to be proof that this is so.

So, how to get to NOTC. Arriving at the airport, your best bet is to take one of the shuttle busses that routinely leaves from just outside the baggage claim. Tell the driver that you want to go to "The Naval Officer Training Centre at Work Point." He should know where that is, as these shuttles routinely drop people off both there, and at the dockyard.

If they require more information, it's located at the corner of Lyall St and Head St. When heading westbound (Towards the dockyard) on Esquimalt road, take a left on Head Street and follow it till you reach the gate. It's just past the Marina.

If there are signs / people there to direct you, obviously you should follow them. If they have room, I imagine that you'll be spending the week in the Kingsmill building, which is the shiny newer accommodations that are immediately in front of you as you enter the gate, just across from the parade square. If not, you'll likely be staying in the older barracks style building that is immediately to your right as you enter the gate, off the parade square.

Just past the Kingsmill building is the cafeteria where you'll likely be eating most of your meals. Don't worry, the food quality there tends to range from "Quite Good" to "Excellent".

Past that building, next to the big lawn, is the main NOTC administration building. This building also houses the Gunroom, which is a smaller mess, technically an extension of the main CFB Esquimalt Wardroom. This is where the meet and greet that Boudreas mentioned will take place.

So, yeah. Go on, relax, have fun, feel free to enjoy yourself. Have a few Rum n' Cokes at the Gunroom, get to know your fellow candidates and the NOAB staff. While I have no proof of this, I am firmly convinced that your social interactions weigh at least as heavily upon your eventual selection for a position as the various official tests and essays.

Thanks for those directions Gcclarke, I am definitely going to write them down so I can tell them to the shuttle if need be . I don't arrive till 1323 on Sunday, I imagine I'm one of the later arrivals.

px90 said:
Thanks for those directions Gcclarke, I am definitely going to write them down so I can tell them to the shuttle if need be . I don't arrive till 1323 on Sunday, I imagine I'm one of the later arrivals.

At my NOAB less than half had arrived on the saturday. Of those, one of the guys decided to leave on the Sunday as well. But that's a different story.

You'll still have time to unwind a bit before the meet n' greet though. Good Luck!

Hey,
          I fly in on Saturday as well around 10:30pm from the arctic.  Looking forward to some sunshine and plus temps.  See you all in Vic.

-Dene-

Back