• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WHEN IS the next Naval Officer Assessment Board (NOAB) ?

Galahad

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been doing a fair bit of reading in this site over the last few weeks, and I have a few remaining questions that I hope someone can help me answer.

Just to put them in context, I'm currently in my final year of mechanical engineering and I am planning on applying for Marine Systems Engineering after I finish school.

What I would like to know is when is the NOAB usually held? I gather sometime in June/July and October, but could someone give me anything more specific?

Further to that, is where does the NOAB fit in the overall admissions process? Like is it the last thing you do before your BMQ, or does it depend on when you apply? Suppose I apply in May (after graduation), would this be early enough for me to attend the NOAB in June/July, followed by BMQ possibly in August/September. Does that sound remotely realistic?

I hope this is not too much to ask, but the recruiter I talked to in Halifax already was not particularly helpful about this, and I want to be able to make the process as smooth as possible.

Cheers!

Galahad,

First, I'm not sure why you are waiting to apply.  Since you are likely a Direct Entry Officer you will have to wait until you have your degree completed later this year, but you don't know what else might delay you - something in your medical history for example.  You have said you are interested - go an make your application either at the Centre or online.  That way you complete your processing in parallel with your qualification (rather than in series) and you maximise your chance of hitting your gateways, like NOAB, the earliest you can.  While what you have suggested for a timeline is possible, I would not recommend planning on it -even a cursory scan of the posts here will show you that there can be unanticipated delays.  So, the earlier you start, the more likely you will be to enrolled and start training smoothly if you have a particular timeframe in mind.

For the Naval Officer Assessment Board, this is an evaluation of your ability to successfully complete naval officer training and is required prior to your consideration for selection into a naval officer occupation.  The Boards are scheduled relatively regularly, before our basic officer courses although the actual timing is subject to ship availability.

Good luck!

ComdCFRG, thank you very much for your reply.

I suppose there really isn't any reason for me to wait, I'm sure I will be doing lots of that later on anyways. Learning what I have from these boards the last couple weeks has been extremely helpful, and now that I have found the information that I have been looking for, I think it is time to get the process started.

I guess that means I will be stopping by the recruiting centre this week to get my application started, hopefully everything goes smoothly!

Thanks again,
Galahad

ComdCFRG said:
For the Naval Officer Assessment Board, this is an evaluation of your ability to successfully complete naval officer training and is required prior to your consideration for selection into a naval officer occupation. Good luck!

In addition to the above purpose of the NOAB, it is also an opportunity for the candidate to be sure the Navy will be a good fit for him/her.  The bottom line is, it's better to be sure you want what is being offered rather than decide in BMOQ, or in any phase of classification trg that you have made a mistake and want out.

My 2 cents.

Hi all,

I did my interview at the local CFRC today and those who want to know about it, there isn't any specific info I can give out. Just be honest and know your trade or trades thoroughly. If you lie, they WILL find out and you WILL fail.

Now, the recruiting center was unable to tell me when the next NOAB dates are, but I am supposed to attend the next one.

Does anyone know a DND or a CF source which lists these, or potential ones? I tried searching, but very vague information comes up with no specifics.

Any help would be nice.
Thank you!

NOAB are scheduled as required and generally occur before the major concentrations of Basic Military Officer Qualification courses.  There is a NOAB being run at this moment.  While I do not have the dates for the next one, I would anticipate that it will be held sometime in the May-early July timeframe for the courses that start in August.

Good luck!

The next NOAB is presently scheduled for the week of 25-29 May.  Good luck.

MARSBA said:
The next NOAB is presently scheduled for the week of 25-29 May.  Good luck.

Sir, I mean absolutely no disrespect, but how do you know this? Thank you for the info.

Uh oh, I thought it would be later than that, this is no good.

My convocation is on the 27th of May  :-\

OK, two independent sources have confirmed now that the NOAB will occur from May 25th - 29th, and that it will be at CFB Esquimalt in Victoria, BC.

Anyone else looking at possible attendance here? Galahad, thinking of graduating in absentia to get in to the Navy?

Wow, that sure would be a tough call...

I don't think I will have the choice though unfortunately, they won't enroll me until after I graduate, so I might have to wait for the next NOAB after that, which could be a long time...

Actually, there are a few choices.
That your graduation falls at the exact time of the NOAB is a cruel co-incidence. Ask your school for an "Eligibiity of Graduation" certificate. It's a piece of paper that tells whosoever concerned that the only thing remaining for you is the technicality of a graduation ceremony.

See if the CFRC accepts this letter (they did for me) as proof of graduation. You will only be sworn in AFTER you've gotten an offer at the NOAB, but not attending it at all means no offer anyway.

I would rather graduate in absentia and attend the NOAB, than wait 4 more months for the next one (which would likely be in September).

boot12 said:
Candidates usually sit the NOAB after they complete BMOQ, correct?

NOAB is part of the application process so they are done prior to BMOQ....IIRC.

This post seems to support this :
ComdCFRG said:
NOAB are scheduled as required and generally occur before the major concentrations of Basic Military Officer Qualification courses.   There is a NOAB being run at this moment.  While I do not have the dates for the next one, I would anticipate that it will be held sometime in the May-early July timeframe for the courses that start in August.

Good luck!

Does anyone happen to have an official website link that outlines/acts as a directive for the NOAB? 

I searched the DND site but was only able to find a brief mention of it in an old recruiting .pdf for NCSE, an article about HMCS Regina, and a court martial, none of which were very substantive.

Cheers.

romeokilo said:
confirmed... the NOAB will occur from May 25th - 29th, and that it will be at CFB Esquimalt in Victoria, BC.
Anyone else looking at possible attendance here?

If all goes in a timely fashion, I could be there.  It would be an amazing birthday (May 25th) present form the forces, getting flown to the other side of the country. 

misanthropos said:

If all goes in a timely fashion, I could be there.  It would be an amazing birthday (May 25th) present form the forces, getting flown to the other side of the country. 

That WOULD REALLY be an amazing birthday gift! I hope you're there, as I hope I am there so we can celebrate your birthday with cake. Yum....cake. I love cakes.

PS: Curious font.

Back