• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WHEN IS the next Naval Officer Assessment Board (NOAB) ?

I got a message from someone asking me if I had received a list of things to bring or something telling us what to wear while we are there.  So for the benefit of everyone, I thought I would write about it here.

I was not told anything about what to wear.  I did not get a list either.  I was told that I should bring a couple of copies of my CV/Resume even though you technically are not required to bring it.

I have the daily schedule for the whole week.  It shows every time, location and event that will take place for the whole week.

From what I can see from the schedule and from looking at pictures that others have posted from previous NOABs, I would suggest that we bring two to three different dress outfits (ie suits or at least shirts, ties and dress pants).  There is dinner every night in the Dining Hall, but on Thursday night, I gather that there is a more dressed up and formal dinner in the Wardroom.  There will be group photos on Monday at 1300.  It appears that they are breaking us into groups (1st and 2nd Port Watch groups and 1st and 2nd Stbd Watch are the names they have for the groups).  There will be different sittings for the MOST and for Board Interviews and certain tours too.  We are on HMCS Regina on Tuesday from 0800 to 1430.

All in all, I am thinking that two to three dress outfits and the rest of the time it would be appropriate to wear business casual.

On Sunday, we have dinner at 1700 - 1800 and then there is a Meet and Greet from 1800 - 2000.

I hope this helps everyone.  And if there is someone reading this who knows that I have made a mistake on anything, please correct me so we get things right.

Thanks,
Rob

Where is everyone from?

I know that a lot of poeple have said where they are from; but I thought instead of trying to read through all of the thread, we could just keep copying the list below and add where you are from to it so that at the end, it will be complete in one spot. (If I missed anyone, add your name and place to the list and keep it going)

Steve - Saint John, NB
Diesel
Rob
Plumber
Cody
Trish
Paul (SI)

T minus 7 days!

Here's my  :2c: worth of advice for all of you, for what it's worth (keeping in mind that not only do I CURRENTLY work in Recruiting, but I spent almost two years working at NOTC Venture, the Officer training school you are all going to for NOAB!)

Remember that NOAB is a week-long JOB INTERVIEW! You will be assessed at EVERYTHING that goes on during that week.

A lot of people "fail" out of NOAB for not being "officer-like material" due to extracurricular activities during "down time" supposedly away-from-Venture (The Carleton Club is just up the street and a notorious weeder-outer of non-officer material).

Also keep in mind that the senior officers questioning you and doing your boards have heard it all, done it all, said it all. Be honest in your answers to questions ... NEVER try to tell them what you THINK they want to hear.

If you are given opportunities to do things, TAKE them! THIS is the time to be that eager-beaver-teachers-pet-keener ... don't worry about what others may think of you, they're not going to pay your bills for the next 25 years ...

Good luck everyone, take it all in and enjoy it, but don't forget WHY you are there!

Otis

Thanks for the advise Otis.  Your  :2c: is always welcome and appreciated.  You are trying to help us and I, for one, hang on every word of your advise.  (OK, that may have been a little over the top; but you know what I mean).

Steve

Steve_D said:
Where is everyone from?

I know that a lot of people have said where they are from; but I thought instead of trying to read through all of the thread, we could just keep copying the list below and add where you are from to it so that at the end, it will be complete in one spot. (If I missed anyone, add your name and place to the list and keep it going)

Steve - Saint John, NB
Diesel
Rob
Plumber
Cody
Trish
Paul (SI) Guelph, Ont

T minus 7 days!

Also possible word to the wise.... a friend told me...  I gather we take a short hop flight from Vancouver to Victoria??  And that they lost his luggage for a day.  So he suggests that you carry at least your fist days clothes in your carry on.

SomethingImportant said:
Steve - Saint John, NB
Diesel
Rob - Sudbury
Plumber
Cody
Trish - Montreal
Paul (SI) Guelph, Ont

Thanks Otis.  Like Steve, I appreciate all and any advice you give us.  I look at it this way, people like you who have lots of knowledge and experience could just let us find out the hard way.  Thanks for the heads up.
Rob

SomethingImportant said:
Also possible word to the wise.... a friend told me...  I gather we take a short hop flight from Vancouver to Victoria??  And that they lost his luggage for a day.  So he suggests that you carry at least your fist days clothes in your carry on.

Agreed.  I took that flight once and literally half the passengers had no luggage when we landed.  It arrived at something like 0300, presumably on a later but less crowded flight.

Steve - Saint John, NB
Diesel - Name is Jay Finlayson - London Ont,
Rob
Plumber
Cody - London Ont,
Trish
Paul (SI)

Steve - Saint John
Diesel - Name is Jay Finlayson - London
Rob - Sudbury
Plumber - Jared, Winnipeg
Cody - London
Trish - Montreal
Paul (SI) - Guelph

Thanks again guys for starting this forum, and thanks to the CF members for providing some valuable information. Looking forward to meeting you all (this is going to be a long week at work!).

Just got our flight plan and itinerary from the RC... Flying from London to Calgary to Victoria.

Have a question for everyone about the "curriculum vitae", just not sure what all I am supposed to write.  Letter says for it to be no more than 2 pages and only gives a few musts: Civy jobs, military exp, and other activities. If i just write "briefly" about those that gives me maybe a paragraph, someone at the RC called it an auto-biography, so not sure if I write about my whole life and make sure those are added?? All help will be appreciated

The curriculum vitae is a formal resume. A quick search on Google brings up some examples of how they would look. As you noted, remember to include the items the RC has indicated must be mentioned in your CV.

Thanks Kratz, I did google it after my last post and realized it is a resume that is more directed to just that one particular job, the RC had me thinking i was writing a story about myself... That would have been bad!!

Well, my day got alot worse... It was my birthday on friday, so naturally i got pulled over today on my way to work for an expired plate sticker.  And just to boost it up my insurance card had expired and didnt have the new one in the car.  So I steamed off to work trying not to let it all get me down about this amazing week coming up.  There I got pulled into the office and was told that I was laid off, and they picked me only because they knew Id be getting a new job soon.  So, now I have alot of pressure to get ready for next week and will be in the hunt for the Oct 19 BMOQ too.  Wish me luck!

Diesel

That really sucks!  I can truely empathize about being laid off.  Better things await.
Remember, at one point in the very near future, this day won't matter diddly.

Enjoy a better one tomorrow and keep looking forward to next week.

Steve

That does indeed suck. I'm not going to lie, the job stability inherent in service in the Canadian Armed Forces was a major factor in my decision to enroll after I graduated.

You have to wonder with all of the loyalty inherent in the private sector why the military has any trouble at all finding ready recruits.  They take take take and never care one iota for the resource's...  And they wonder why people quit with no notice, leaving them high and dry.

Jay, sorry to hear about the lay-off. With the Navy on the horizon, I believe you've been presented with what Homer Simpson calls a "crisi-tunity". :)

As regards the issue of the Curriculum Vitae (CV), common knowledge, Kratz's post and google searches leave me with style guidelines which include details such as 'detailed synopsis', 'point-form', 'summary', 'bulleted' etc.. These all suggest that this CV is NOT to be written in prose form. Yet (in the same document Jay referred to earlier), assessment criteria are listed whereby "...the Board will review the candidate's written assigment..", which suggests that something in prose is to be expected after all. Can anyone clarify this situation for me? Thanks in advance. 

SomethingImportant said:
You have to wonder with all of the loyalty inherent in the private sector why the military has any trouble at all finding ready recruits.  They take take take and never care one iota for the resource's...  And they wonder why people quit with no notice, leaving them high and dry.

Paul...sounds to me like you and I are going to have some fun and interesting conversations next week (and into the future).  I could not agree more with your comment.

Back