• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

When is using first names appropriate?

NATO Boy said:
Appropriate Use of First Names:

1. Addressing others while off-duty in your respective mess (the mess is referred to sometimes as a place of relaxation, thus this should be a given.)

With the exception of the CO and RSM. That is a line no one should ever cross.

Haggis said:
With the exception of the CO and RSM. That is a line no one should ever cross.

I don't know about the CO, but I've seen most Sgts and WOs call the RSM by first name (since they've known eachother since training.) But this is rarely done in front of junior ranks (I was invited in the Sgts Mess when I saw this.) It's a line that shouldn't be crossed but, like I said, in rare occasions you can get away with it.

NATO Boy said:
I've seen most Sgts and WOs call the RSM by first name (since they've known each other since training.) But this is rarely done in front of junior ranks (I was invited in the Sgts Mess when I saw this.) It's a line that shouldn't be crossed but, like I said, in rare occasions you can get away with it.

What I should've added was "unless permission is granted".  I've been in the company of CWOs from other-than-Army units who have said "call me Bob".  My response has always been "OK, sir."

In my (mostly Army/Cbt Arms) experience calling the RSM by his/her first name in the mess is universally a bad thing to do.  Many, many Senior NCOs and WOs have earned hockey socks full of extras for that, usually at Mess functions.  Call me "Old School", but I would never do it.

Outside the Mess, the RSM is ALWAYS the RSM... anywhere and any time. :salute:

In my (mostly Army/Cbt Arms) experience calling the RSM by his/her first name in the mess is universally a bad thing to do.  Many, many Senior NCOs and WOs have earned hockey socks full of extras for that, usually at Mess functions.  Call me "Old School", but I would never do it.

I rarely called anyone by their first name. I was a Snr NCO and different from everyone else. I don't want to call Officers "Tom", nor am I inclined to call the RSM "Rod". Maybe, in an informal setting, long-known Bdrs and M/Bdrs I might call by their first name, but thats it. Heck, I met a Major from this site for coffee, and I still called him "Sir", and do even now, in correspondence. It just seems "weird" to do otherwise....

its a kinder and gentler army in today, but i am still old School as well and if the RSM calls me by my first name i will answer with Sir

Rocky 88 said:
its a kinder and gentler army in today

I agree, but it doesn't tie in with why members of the older generation of army would use first names (even with the RSM!)

Back