• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Which Cap Badge to wear?

cda84

Inactive
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I have a quick question, I am finishing my ROTP program this semester, and am being posted on OJT after that. My posting message stated 2Lt, me. (currently I am still an OCdt until I graduate obviously). I have been given a BOTC bypass due to previous Reserve service. So I have not completed the whole, 'BOTP grad parade', and never will. I have seen other OCdts (Pilots, like me) with the Air Force cap badge having completed their BOTP.

Since I have completed the BOTC level, am I entitled to get rid of the cornflake?

Cheers

Chris

One usually doesn't take it upon themself to change their hatbadge/award themself a hatbadge, without some serious repercussions.  As you are in the ROTP program, it would be best to check with your Advising Officer and do as they instruct you to do.  To take any advice from us would only get you into someone's bad books.

Good point. Perhaps I should rephrase the question then.

Am I likely entitled to one if I go ask? (Which, I will!) I am basically curious when everybody else who has gone AF ROTP has gotten theirs?

Cheers

once you are qualified beyond 0, you might very well be.

For the Infantry recruits, they wear the "corn flake" tri service badge thru their BQ & SQ, they wear the Infantry corp badge thru their trade course & are awarded their Regimental cap badge upon completion of battle school..........

cda84 - you won't likely be given any direction about when to put up your cloth capbadge. 

Here's what I want you to do:

Next time you are in clothing stores, ask for x2 Air Force cloth capbadge (Vern can provide the NSN). 

Next, go to your local base tailor and get him/her to affix said capbadges to your beret and wedge. Ta-da, you are done.  Do not show up anywhere wearing the Cornflake.  With your prior service and your BOTC bypass you should never have even worn the cornflake.

Zoomie said:
cda84 - you won't likely be given any direction about when to put up your cloth capbadge. 

Here's what I want you to do:

Next time you are in clothing stores, ask for x2 Air Force cloth capbadge (Vern can provide the NSN). 

Next, go to your local base tailor and get him/her to affix said capbadges to your beret and wedge. Ta-da, you are done.  Do not show up anywhere wearing the Cornflake.  With your prior service and your BOTC bypass you should never have even worn the cornflake.

For my two cents.... when I was on IAP and BOTC, members with previous military service wore the cap badges they earned. For myself I was Arty, going to Air Force, so I could not wear my army cap badge with the blue beret. A few former Air Force NCM members had the NCM air force badge on from day one to grad parade, as well as one MP, and an infantry NCO. Our staff did not care, and nobody got jacked up for having them on. For myself, and everyone else that did BOTC in the Air Force, we all wore our Officer Cap badges on our berets and wedges for second lang. training that commenced 4 days after BOTC, with no issues.

hope this help

Zoomie said:

Or even better yet, go to Canex and get the gold-threaded one: they look about a million times better ...

9. Personnel commissioned from the ranks to a
different CF element and issued the uniform of the
new element, are entitled to wear the branch insignia
of that element.

10. Officer cadets of the Royal Military College
(RMC), other than UTPM cadets, shall wear RMC
badges during the academic year until they are
commissioned. They shall be issued branch badges
as appropriate on commencement of military
occupation training, for wear only during the period of
this training. Upon commissioning, they shall wear
the insignia of the branch or regiment to which they
are assigned.

12. UTPM cadets shall continue to wear their
environmental uniforms, branch or regimental
insignia until re-assigned.

Not sure if this applies to you or not, but this is all directly out of the Dress instructions cheers

Thank you all for the responses.

The RMC rules do not apply to me no, I have been Civy U. I do know all the other pilots I know post BOTC have the Air Cap Badge.

Therefore, as Zoomie (thank you for the reassurance), stated, I will make the trip down to the ASU to pick some up.

Cheers all

I've got a question for those more experienced than I...

I was a reservist med tech; and was thus issued an NCM med tech cap badge for my beret.
Then I commissioned through MOTP and I'm a 2Lt and my SEM instructions say "MOTP students will be issued the distinct cap badge upon enrollment". I have this too.

BUT I am going on Phase II of BMOQ in June and I have no idea whether I should wear a cornflake (I have this leftover from being a med tech); my old med tech cap badge (since that's my level of military training) or the medical officer one (since I've been issued that too).

Or should I just order 2 more berets from logistik unicorps and take 3 with me and wear whatever I'm told to?

thanks!

You were issued Med officer capbadge. Reading between the lines that means throw it on your beret. The CF wouldn't issue you something you're not supposed to wear yet (normally).

MB2B

Officers in the Canadian Forces Medical Service (CFMS) are "taken on strength" with the CFMS when they commission.  As such you are entitled to wear, and should wear proudly, the Medical Branch, Officer (silver snake) cap badge. When you get to the Training Centre in Borden buy a few of the nice ones from the kit shop, but in the mean time the issue one will do.

The only time you will see an officer wear a NCM CFMS capbadge (gold snake) is if they were a CFMS NCM and now are an Officer Cadet. 

If you did not have previous service and were not commissioned yet (still an Officer Cadet) then you would wear the good old tri-service capbadge.

I hope that helps.  Good luck at BMOQ.

MC

Thank you Puckchaser and MedCorps for the clarification! I appreciate it!

Hi all,

I am an army reservist and recently signed my acceptacnce offer for EME officer through the SCP and accepted a position as 2LT-2. Currently I am authorized to wear the logistics cap badge. Do I continue to wear my log NCM badge or change to cornflake/EME? My next career course is CAP from what I was told. I tried reading through the CF dress instructions and searched the forums but couldn't find anything relevant. Does anyone have access to the EME standing orders as there might  be something in there?

Thanks!

If you were a straight remuster then the answer would be much easier. Tradition suggests that you would continue to wear the Log cap badge until you're qualified in the new MOC. Seeing as this is a remuster combined with a SCP, then I would suggest that you wear the Log badge until you put your bars on, then switch over to EME. The branch adviser for EME might be able to shed better light on the subject.

Plus, you may wish to hold off on switching until you receive your EME badge from your new CO.

Have fun on CAP. Baby Cap or Gagetown?

I went the other way, from EME to Log when I commissioned. I was told to switch my capbadge when my rank was changed (as were all the other UT's that I went through the next 3 years of courses with until I was trades qualified).

Wook

Thanks for the replies!

@blackberet: not course loaded yet, but I've heard nice things about aldershot.

@wook: are you referring to the trade cap badge or the cornflake?

Globemaster said:
but I've heard nice things about aldershot.

That must be the first time in history that those words have been uttered in the same sentence. ;D

When my then CO and RSM "promoted" me to OCdt, I was also handed a brand new Log cap badge and sent directly to the tailor shop to get it put on.

Wook

Back