• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who'll be the next CDS? Speculation here, please!!

George Wallace said:
I think "trusted" is the word open to quite a bit of debate here.  Trusted by whom? 
By whoever hires him, I suppose ....

Northalbertan said:
.... Gen De Chastelaine was over 60 yrs old.  The only way they could bring him back was as a CIC officer, CIC officers being allowed to serve until 65 years of age ....
And I'm sure he was limited to the same 30-35 man-days per year that every OTHER CIC officer got, right?

The latest tea leaf reading, from Murray Brewster of CP via Twitter:
Andrew Leslie has NOT been interviewed to be CDS.

Northalbertan said:
That is correct.  Gen De Chastelaine was over 60 yrs old.  The only way they could bring him back was as a CIC officer, CIC officers being allowed to serve until 65 years of age.

Northalbertan

This strikes me as dishonest and circumventing the rules.

Do Mr Fisher or Mr Brewer ever define what each means by "interviewed"?

They can both be correct - an indirect approach and discussion about potential availability might be seen by one as an interview, while the other would defines an interview as a formal sit-down meeting.

There are always games within games at times like this... who are Mr Fisher's and Mr Brewster's friends?  Who is feeding them information?  What effects are those who are feeding information trying to achieve?

Always fun to try and interpret the tea leaves...

Jim Seggie said:
They can make their own rules as they see fit.
:goodpost:

dapaterson said:
Do Mr Fisher or Mr Brewer ever define what each means by "interviewed"?

They can both be correct - an indirect approach and discussion about potential availability might be seen by one as an interview, while the other would defines an interview as a formal sit-down meeting.

There are always games within games at times like this... who are Mr Fisher's and Mr Brewster's friends?  Who is feeding them information?  What effects are those who are feeding information trying to achieve?

Always fun to try and interpret the tea leaves...
Also :goodpost:

I don't know who the next CDS will be and, in most important, long term, military senses it may not matter all that much. The few rumours that filter down, way down, to my level suggest that no one wants the job.

The big, tough decisions (about policy, about equipment (ships and airplanes and weapons systems) for the next few years are in the province of a few civil servants, and even they may find their authority challenged by outsiders, contracted accounting/management consulting firms in them 'employ' of the Clerk of the Privy Council.

The role of the CDS is to operate the forces in being - if the government sends them to war he leads them; if the government says "stay home and stay quiet" he gets on with that task.

Selecting the CDS is not a popularity contest and, quite frankly, I hope that the powers that be (the PM and the Clerk, mainly) don't even consider, not for a microsecond, the views of the rank and file or of the NCO and officers corps; if they don't like the guy chosen they can all quit, with country's gratitude.

Right now, in my opinion the CF needs a manager; one who can oversee the cuts that will come so that they are made from the (considerable) C2 superstructure, protecting the fleets (naval and air), the field forces and the training system so that, we can rebuild (again, as we did over and over in the past) when resources permit.

Northalbertan said:
That is correct.  Gen De Chastelaine was over 60 yrs old.  The only way they could bring him back was as a CIC officer, CIC officers being allowed to serve until 65 years of age.

They could've brought him back as a Ranger.  Ranger CRA is the same as their date of death.  :blotto:

Adding to the rumour mill... I know of a fighter pilot that's been interviewed twice now  ;D

MORE tea leaves to read, courtesy of CBC.ca:
The search for a new head of the Canadian Forces has slipped more than a month behind schedule.

CBC News has learned Gen. Walt Natynczyk, Canada's outgoing chief of defence staff, has already held his own going away party — a cottage barbecue attended by close staff held in June.

Sources tell CBC News the military was planning for a late July change of command ceremony to herald the appointment of a new chief.

But, now it seems there will likely be no decision until at least the beginning of September. And even that date might be optimistic.

Natynczyk is said to have extracted from the Conservative government the promise of a month's warning before the top general will be formally ushered out the door, and no such warning has yet been issued.

It's not clear what is causing the delay. But CBC News has learned the process to select a new chief of the defence staff has become more formal than ever before, with a selection committee interviewing a large number of contenders for the job.

This is the second time such a process has been used.

The selection panel that chose Natynczyk was made up of Defence Minister Peter MacKay, his deputy, and a group of senior bureaucrats including the clerk of the privy council, according to a source familiar with the process.

That panel invited several candidates for interviews, and made at least one recommendation to the prime minister ....

ObedientiaZelum said:
notsureifsrs
Gesundheit.

Ohhhh......nintendo-speak for "not sure if you're serious." You kids are just so darn cute the way you fuck with the English language.  ;)

milnews.ca said:
MORE tea leaves to read, courtesy of CBC.ca:

So?  By this logic, anyone who gave a BBQ invite, or Beer Call invite, to their subordinates during the summer has announced their departure?  Must be a extremely large number of people jumping ship this coming few weeks/months/whatever.

Dear George,

I am afraid, in this instance, you're a little too quick to criticize (and I'm not sure why).
I wrote that Natynczyk has already held his own going away party.  It was a BBQ. 
I said it in a straight up fashion. 
There were no lines to read between. There was no extrapolation going on.
Nantyczyk has already held his own going away party. 
It was a cottage BBQ attended by close staff.
It was held in June.
I did not write, as you suggest, that Natynczyk held a summer BBQ, therefore it must have been a going away party. 

Look at the words:
"CBC News has learned Gen. Walt Natynczyk, Canada's outgoing chief of defence staff, has already held his own going away party — a cottage barbecue attended by close staff held in June."

Best,
James

It's not clear what is causing the delay. But CBC News has learned the process to select a new chief of the defence staff has become more formal than ever before, with a selection committee interviewing a large number of contenders for the job.

This is the second time such a process has been used.

The selection panel that chose Natynczyk was made up of Defence Minister Peter MacKay, his deputy, and a group of senior bureaucrats including the clerk of the privy council, according to a source familiar with the process.

That panel invited several candidates for interviews, and made at least one recommendation to the prime minister ....

This indicates a subtle shift in direction by Prime Minister Harper: allowing panels of senior bureaucrats or outsiders (contractors) is seen as a good way to depoliticize an issue (big ones like the shipbuilding contracts or the F-35 debacle and small, but still newsworthy ones like picking the next CDS). I expect to see more and more of it if, and it's still a big IF, they are able to find a good outside contractor to rescue the F-35 contracting process.

E.R. Campbell said:
Selecting the CDS is not a popularity contest and, quite frankly, I hope that the powers that be (the PM and the Clerk, mainly) don't even consider, not for a microsecond, the views of the rank and file or of the NCO and officers corps; if they don't like the guy chosen they can all quit, with country's gratitude.

You have to be careful.  If too many of the rank and file don't like/cannot work with the new guy and quit, that'll be counter productive to the CF too.  While I'd maybe not go out the door straight away my 10/30 will be cocked and locked within the next couple of months.  There are many others out there nowadays too.  It's no good having someone that the great unwashed don't want to follow in the catbird's seat.

Right now, in my opinion the CF needs a manager; one who can oversee the cuts that will come so that they are made from the (considerable) C2 superstructure, protecting the fleets (naval and air), the field forces and the training system so that, we can rebuild (again, as we did over and over in the past) when resources permit.

He, whom many of us here don't care for.  Is not IMHO, friendly towards the Blue kids.  I would not trust him to protect the Fleet(s) in any way.  I cannot comment on the green kids and how safe they'd feel with him at the helm. But the thought seems to make the stomach lurch with many of us here.

Given that "The Press" is speculating and running on all cylinders attempting to keep this front and centre and attempting to politicize it, I feel justified in doing the same.

I could comfortably conject that this whole thing is a tempest created by 'The Press' trying to manufacture a teapot to put it in. Nothing has been proven as far as Gen Leslie being interviewed. However, that hasn't stop our 'journalists' from spinning every small conjecture they can come up with.

It would not be the first time that certain information agencies have tried to drive the national agenda to secure favour from a certain party or embarrass the sitting government by intimating, subtly hinting or manufacturing information suitable to their cause.

The adage of 'lips moving and lying' is no longer the pervue that has been attributed certain professional and political subjects.

Unless they are a local 6'oclock news agency that is providing reasonably up to date facts, without commentary or slant, I have no faith in what passes today as journalism, to intelligently inform me of national, or international, matters. Especially when it comes to politics.

Caveat emptor applies equally to todays journalism as it does to the sale of real property.

:2c:

recceguy said:
Caveat emptor applies equally to todays journalism as it does to the sale of real property.

Based on the most recent Reader's Digest survey of MOST trusted professions, journalists once again failed to make the list.

1. Firefighters (88)
2. Emergency medical technicians (85)
3. Pharmacists (83)
4. Nurses (82)
5. Doctors (81)
6. Airline pilots (79)
7. Dentists (71)
8. Teachers (68)
9. Armed forces members (66)
10. Veterinarians (66)

However, according to a survey on a job/career website of the 10 LEAST trusted, what do we see right up near the top of the most untrustworthy?

10. Police Officer
9. Journalist
8. Celebrities
7. Handymen (with sticky fingers)
6. Agent/Manager
5. Telemarketers
4. Lawyer
3. Mechanic
2. Politician
1. Used car salesman

I believe that on your Least trusted list, that #3 and #1 tend to bank on each others buck.

Well, for clarity, it's not actually my list; I merely cited it.

Writing it would make me.........a journalist.  ;)

Back