• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why a SigOp?

scottyeH?

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, Well let me start off.. I'm a 17yr old male from Edmonton Alberta, and very interested in joining the military. I've always been an outdoors man, hiking, mountain climbing also computers.. which brings me to my next point.

I'm looking for a full-time position in the REG Force, that would be outside, physical, and great for advancement.

My 3 choices so far that I have got are:
-Infantry Solider
-Sig Op
-Combat Engineer

I'm heading to a recruiter tommorrow, and before I do so, I would like some personal opinions on being a Sig Op.(I've heard depends what recruiter you get, they might tend to lean to another position) I've done some research on these forums but don't really answer these questions.

Do you still undergo SQ?

What job's are available after, your military life? (that's my biggest fear, It's my dream to be an Infantry Solider, but the jobs after...i don't really want to be a security guard..)?

What are chances for advancement?

How much combat training, and also combat field time would you expect to see?

Those are just some general questions, I had to ask.

Thanks a lot.

Scott.

I'm in the process of waiting for my med file to come back from Borden, I'm going into become a reserve SigOp.

I'll just throw out a couple points. SigOps are employed in the field. They DO go through SQ. A large part of the SQ is dealing with C-9 (light machine gun) training, other further weapons training, recce training, etc. The primary objective for a SigOp on in the field is to relay information to and from units and the headquater. They are however responsible for being combat ready if required to do that type of work when it comes to overseas deployment. I've heard that there are a lot of opportunites for SigOps (better shot at going overseas on tours, etc.). SigOps' training can easily be applicable to civilian work as well...computer analysts, bla bla bla, a lot of technical jobs, I've heard it's good that way. Personally.... I was in the same situation you are. I was all about infantry for the longest time. I went to an open house for a comms squadron, and liked what I saw. The aspect of using your hands, being in the field is still there. I'm hoping to get into the Ontario Provincial Police when I'm older, and using my work as a SigOp to help get me there.

I'm still waiting for my call, I haven't worked as a SigOp yet. I'm going by stuff I've read, etc.

I'm sure Radop, or Canadian Sig, or other guys on here will have more than enough information to give you, more than I could give you anyways. Just thought I'd give you something to hold you over.

-Ross

Sig Ops HIGHLY deployed..............

I heard the JSR deployed 2100 troops in the last 5 years.
Considering that regiment has approx 800 - 900 soldiers...
you do the math... 

ScottyeH. I am a sig op with 2 Bde in Petawawa. I can tell you that sig-ops in any of the 3 bdes spend lots of time in the field. We do SQ and we do learn and practice patrolling technics ect, we do have guys who carry c-9 machine guns in each of our units and we are a very busy bunch. I was like you and wanted to go combat arms but was steered this way by some friends who were combat arms in Edmonton. We deploy alot on tours overses and we can have some prtty cool jobs while there. I spent Roto 0 in Afghanistan as a rover and dispatch rider so I was out and about in Kabul each and every day. All in all it's a pretty cool trade. Drop me a line if you have any more specific questions.

Just filling out the application now, I was talking to my recruiter yesterday and I guess Sig Ops are in high demand right now! ;D
And hearing great thing's about them not only from you guys and also my recruiter recommended the Signal Op's for me, even before I brought it up!.  I'm definitely putting Signal Operators as my number one choice. Just waiting for my 2nd letter of reference to get back to me and I should be good to go!.

Thanks.

Scott

P.S. Canadian Sig- You should be hearing from my questions down the road if you don't mind 8), once I get more into the process!

Sig Op is OK but if you really want to get some great courses and do lots of interesting things, hold out and go tech. Be 227 and you won't regret it. As a sig op you might get a course once every 10 years, but as a tech you can get several courses a year. Not that you will mind you, but you could! You will soon find you have enough field BS after a very short time and long for something more. Techs have a great course load to choose from and a wide area of employment. Sig Op is a weak sister to LCIS tech for sure. Sig op area of responsibility is about 10 degress, a tech is like 180. Look in to it.
Of course ultimately it's your decision.

Also I would like to point out that as a Sig-op I have had 1 tour and 4 courses in the last 2 years. Most Sig-ops I know love the "field BS" thats why we are sig-ops. If we liked sitting around drinking coffee and "flashing" kit then we would be techs. That whole 180 degrees crap is why I fix most probs in my rad van myself and am lothe to allow a tech to touch my kit! Every time I let LCIS guys in my truck they seem to make it worse and I lose it for weeks on end. I had an LCIS M/Cpl in my truck the other day and he asked me which radio was the HF radio! If he doesn't know which one it is then how can he "fix" it?

Hey now, that's not fair.  How's he gonna know where to put the N/S tag if you don't tell him which radio is the HF one?

ScottyEh - Hi, John A here. I retired 4 years ago, as a WO Rad Op 211. It was one hell of a ride. You will be in all kinds of units and do lots of time with the trees. But hell it was all great. Stay single, do tour after tour and make yourself a load of money. Do not worry about courses, if you want them you will get your share. Keep you nose clean and climb up the ladder. Remember the higher you are after 20-25 years the better your pension will be. I have been on exercise in Germany, Holland, Norway, and met most trees in every Cdn Trg area. Did OKA which was quite a time. 2 CDO you have some excellent points there. It was a sad day when our shitheads in goverment killed the mighty proud AB :salute. Scotty every trade will have its slugs. Just don't be one of them. Keep fit, and in shape and you will do fine. Email me any ?. VVV.... :salute:

I'm now going SigOp, and I'm wondering what being Signals Operator is like, and if a person will have trouble in the course if they don't really have much experience working with computers and whatnot. I'm up to typing, and maybe plugging some cords in and thats about it. Another question is that I'm interested in doing patrols with the infantry, and being on the front, can I do that as a SigOp. The recruiter steered me more towards that trade as he believed I would enjoy it the most of the ones I now qualified for.

Thanks for the help

Take a look in this thread.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/30261.0.html

Do people in the army have a grudge against Sig Ops? I work with 2 x-military guys...one was a combat engineer and one was infantry. They asked me what I'm going for and I told them:

1. Sig Op
2. Infantry

And they both laughed and shook there head when I said Sig Op, they told me they do dick all and all this other crap, one guy told me I'm better off going infantry cause you play with more toys and really both trades can't really get you a good job in civvie world. :(

Oh well, that's there opinion..I'll stick with Sig Op :)

Satisfy yourself and tell the rest of the world to get stuffed. Only you will regret your decisions.

The way I see it is that their is that kindof ribbing between all trades and combat arms. It seems to be huge in the military, so none of that would really bother me much, plus apparently you get to see some action as a SigOp so I would be happy in it. The more I hear about the trade, the more I like it. If I find that its not for me then I can just as easily re-muster to another in a few years.

Cheers

:cdn: :salute:

Some action? Like at the bar after work and a few pints? Count me in!!  :blotto: ;D

I was thinking more along the lines of getting close to the front line kindof thing in any war, you know, but the bar thing works for me too. ;D :blotto:

Back