• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why a SigOp?

Being in Sigs you get all the field time you want.  I've logged a lot of miles with both infantry and artillery, been shot at, and shelled, and even knocked out of a tree by a tank (black hat sons of bit...).  You are in demand, and can practice trades from right down in the mud, or up in the trees, to playing with some really high tech toys stuck in HQ cushyland with the REMF (sorry, my predjudices are showing again).  As far as overseas deployments go, we go everywhere the combat arms go, and thanks to UN service, we go someplaces that they don't.  As some of our UN partners are less than technichly gifted, they provide the pongos and we provide the sigs ;D.  As an aside, you also have a better idea of the "big picture" of the opperations that you are involved in than similar ranks of the other trades, due to the nature of our business, and that has a thrill of its own.

Thats what is more appealing for me about becomming a Signal Operator now is the ability to experience alot more then I would have in the infantry. When I looked at the description, to tell you the truth it didn't capture my interest on the recruitment website, but now that I've heard the opinion's of alot of members of this trade on here I am looking forward to it. Hell, I might be happy in the end that my vision requirments fell short and that I am instead a Sig Op.

Hopefully within the next week the recruiter will call and tell me I'm going in for sure as a Sig Op. :salute: :cdn:

I got the call today that I am going in as a Signal Operator and will head to BMQ September 12 to December 9th.

Just curious, when and were will I be doing my SQ course, and what is Kingston like for training, accomodations, etc.

Anything I should know ahead of time to help me prepare for my training as a signal operator?

Congrats, FutureTrooper...I'm sure it will be a blast :)

Now, I just gotta do my medical and CFAT on July 21st...and hopefully I can be doing BMQ around October!

Best of Luck.

:salute:

Hopefully I'll see you there, we might be on the same course together at Kingston and SQ.

I guess they have instituted the 14 week BMQ, that was the date I was given by the recruiter, but hopefully I'll get more information when my recruiting officer gives me more information on swearing in, BMQ, etc.

That's about the most childish obtuse remarks I have read in  along time. Quite shocking it came from an infanteer. Most of those guys have their stuff together, except you I guess. I also amazed at your psychic ability and can tell so much from my comments and peg my personality through them. I am a tech because I like working on electronic gear and not slogging along on a route march or patrol. IE field BS. If you like it then that's great for you.
You have to realize MOST peolpe don't pick 031 as their first choice. A lot do here because a lot of reserves hang out here and that's not the same thing at all, doing it part time. Anyone can have fun doing it a couple days a month. That's not a slag to reserves people just the way it is. Reserves aren't full time, and aren't meant to be. 
To quote you...some of the best people I have met are great infanteers then some are pathetic ignorant 23 yrs in MCpls . Gee don't get all revved up..... No it doesn't work there either does it??

2 Cdo said:
Ref SigPigs, "field BS". I have more often then not met your type, the one who runs to the UMS whenever there is an exercise or does show up without the required kit and has to be RTU'd. You give members of the CF a bad name, and also give LCIS techs a bad name.

Just a sidebar but possibly one of the worst "soldiers" I ever had the misfortune to teach was a direct entry air force blue wearing, tech Corporal. This person was so pathetic that TWICE he broke into tears after being "corrected" for such soldierly skills as, lying, laziness, and insubordination. People like him and yourself are a burden to any unit that gets stuck with you!

Before any sigs types get all revved up, not all sigs are like this. Some are in fact good soldiers and are a credit to their trade and some of them are pathetic little whiners like the aforementioned!

Sigpig, first you insult the infantry with comments like field BS. Then you PM me with your childish comments about calling you out. I did notice that you ignored most of the comments from SIGS types that also summed you up! And now you profess that I don't have my sh*t together. Your post was a slag against both SigOps and the combat arms, but when a reply by the infantryman(not the PC infanteer) calls you down, you get all in a huff! Read the PM I sent you, I think it spells it out a little more eloquently! While you're at it maybe a few basic grammer lessons might be in order as well!

Hey there scottyeH and Futuretrooper. I am in Kingston atm doing a course. I am training for LCIS. But what I can say from the SigOps I know, and have worked in the field with in my prior trades is they are the "Infantry" of the Communications/Sigs branch. They are pretty much involved in all aspects of the field from setting up the Command Post Comms System, to the Quick Reaction Force for their field bivouac( the section that initially reacts to enemy attacks), as well as lots of off road driving in their Sigs trucks!
All trades have their good and bad points/times...WELCOME TO THE MILITARY!

Bitc#ing is the universal right of all soldiers.  No matter what trade you are in, you know in your heart of hearts, that your trade is the hardest working, the most demanding, and those bleeding (insert name of any other trade you see but have never done) just sit on their butts all day while better men do the real work.  Its all BS.  I was good at my trade and busted my butt.  Most of the people I worked with did the same, but we had our share of slackers and real dimwits too.  If you want to point the finger at any trade, I can show you one or two complete wastes of oxygen, who could be replaced with a figure 11 target with no loss of function at all.  I could also point to the dozens of men and women around them working harder, smarter, and faster than anything you will see outside emergency services in the civvy world.  Soldiers will always bitc#, but most of us are aware that every trade is required, and that only through the hard work of all of us can we achieve anything.

Thanks for the info guys.

The best thing is to suck it up and live for the good things, if there's bad thing just work threw them.

:D

Then there are some of us who are working hard to get into the combat arms, realizing early on in training that CFRC screwed me.

But other than that sig is a nice job.

I originally applied for a combat arm and was instead given Signal Operator, I hope that since SigOp wasn't my original choice it won't hurt me down the line.

Say Aries, what do you like about being a Signal Operator so far, especially since your fresh out of training and all, what do you dislike about it???

Aries...Don't forget that what you do as a Sig-Op at CFJSR is totally different from what Sig-Ops do at a brigade. There is way more to the trade than what you see at the regiment.

Does anybody have a picture of a Signal Operator's dress uniform, I've been trying to track a picture down but can't find any?

AAAAH, the exuberance of youth!

Hey guys, a lot of ppl with a lot of expierence have given good advice.  Listen to it.  If you are put into a trade & find you do not like it after giving it a good shot, re-muster.

The one thing I can say about my couple or 3 days in, was simply it has been a lot of fun.  Over the years, I was lucky to be able to train & cross train in different trades.  It was a required part of my job.  I through neccesity, was exposed to a large cross section compared to the average Grunt.  I have been in the field (first love) & worked in positions right up to HQ Grps to command HQ.  When I look back it was the greatest time I ever had.

Be adventurous, give it your best shot, maintain your self discipline & you will find it will open doors.  It is great to be 031, but any body that spends their life in it, will tell you that it takes a heavy toll on your mind & body.  Eventually your body will show the wear & tear.  If you have other trades, & want to stay serving, you then have options.

All the trades contribute to the overall effort.  The grunt on the line, can't survive without the REMF's.  They supply groceries, Ammo, etc.  Sigs provide a way to talk to the other arms eg Arty, Air force, Navy.
These guys provide cover & Intel, & fire support, drop groceries etc.  The RCEME types fix vehicles, on & on ad nauseum.

The Inter Svc/trades rivalry helps keep morale.  The grunt is the pointy end of the stick, the rest are the shaft of the stick.

So no matter what trade you choose (?), enjoy it, give it your all.  You are part of the bigger picture.

Cheers

It's a good trade, lets you use your brain quite a bit.  Good for deployments too, I'm on tour for the 2nd time in 3 years.  Same place though.  :boring: I like it because you get to do the radio stuff, the computer or satcom stuff, but you also get to do the basic soldier skills.
If you keep up on your soldier skills and remember them youre gonna be fine.  I forgot a lot of mine and had to get re aquainted with them quickly on a course last summer.  So try not to get too wrapped up in the "I'm a Sig, we dont do that" attitude that seems to be floating around the unit quite a bit.  Youre gonna be fine.

Cheers buds,
Andrew

Or come to the Squadron or Brigade (2CMBG) where they push us to never forget our soldier skills.  :salute:

A couple of great points have been made here

1.  Every trade has it's slugs - don't be one of them
2.  Inter - trade rivalry is great for morale

You know what, make the best of whatever trade you choose.

Personally, I like the "spec. pay" comment.  Always seems to surface at one point or another in these forums!

Back