• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why Did Canada Change Our Salute

do you think we should of stayed with the British salute?

• yes

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • no

Votes: 38 56.7%

• Total voters
Canuck_Jock said:
As an addendum to the forgoing debate on the saluting tradition, the palm down version is properly titled the 'Naval salute' and the palm forward version the 'Military salute'. The former is a sloppy karate chop-style movement to the head, the latter a smart military drill movement indicating respect to the recipient.

The Naval salute is generally used by the likes of the yanks, Greeks, Turks, Russians, etc. and a lot of other random countries with whom we have absolutely no historical connection with whatsoever. As a rule, it looks a bit goofy and tends to be used by armies that also think white shoe laces on black combat boots looks smart, but that is just my humble opinion...

The Military salute is retained by almost all Commonwealth armies and air forces and is indicative of the continuity of the British military ethos. It is also employed, interestingly, by the French armed forces, and by random individuals who wish to look smart (e.g. the late Yasser Arafat of the PLO).

There is certainly strong evidence that unification had 'kultur-kampf' against overt British traditions as a strong, secondary objective. The change of salute for the Cdn Army and RCAF is proof. The RCN (as with many other Commonwealth navies) had drill that was distinct than the other Services; it largely involved shuffling the leg around and not raising it off the ground (not a bad thing on a moving ship), different timings as well as the command 'Ho!' in lieu of 'Atten-sha!' Army drill was adopted for all Services with the exception of just one, single drill movement...the Military salute. Hmmm, what a coincidence.

A salute is just an outward show of respect for a higher rank.There's no need to change back to be more "British" and less "American". We have a Canadian salute, lets just leave it at that.

Wow :eek: Reopening a discussion from 2009. :facepalm:

That's got to be some sort of record.

Somebody merged an old thread to a new one of the same topic.  It is not that uncommon.

Is there an issue with reopening discussions?  I don't see it mentioned in the conduct guidelines.

Infanteer said:
Is there an issue with reopening discussions?  I don't see it mentioned in the conduct guidelines.

I use this as a guideline. It was posted by a Moderator.

Necroposting - Not always a bad idea
http://army.ca/forums/threads/87278.0/nowap.html

Infanteer said:

Certainly not. Just a simple observation on necro posting. I simply thought the amount of time was outstanding. IIRC, you've made somewhat of the same comments in the past.

Don't get your panties all twisted up trying to get something going where nothing exists.

Thanks for reminding me MCG, I'd forgotten about that. :salute:

George Wallace said:
And it definitely is not "American".

I have to agree.

Although, having served in the British Army, I'm partial to the palm out 'Big Five Eff You Jimmy', it's pretty clear that we have a pretty sharp, palm down salute... as compared to the Septic Tanks' version.

Which is just .. er... um...not right. ;D

I like this one:
http://youtu.be/13FcmlAZEAc

hmmm
we've gone bascvk to the distinctive uniforms
we've gone back to the distinctive element rank titles
we've "royaled" everything that can be royaled
One of trhe only thing still to be done, to dispose of liberal unification vestiges, would be to go back to the military salute...... :salute:

I have been thinking of the salute and would like to suggest that we use the pre unification salute when paying complements to our pre unification veterans.
After all, it's the salute they were trained to use and using it would be a powerful symbol of respect and show we do take them seriously.
I understand there may be a certain reluctance to do this.

SherH2A said:
I have been thinking of the salute and would like to suggest that we use the pre unification salute when paying complements to our pre unification veterans.
After all, it's the salute they were trained to use and using it would be a powerful symbol of respect and show we do take them seriously.
I understand there may be a certain reluctance to do this.

Carry on.

Don't forget to now salute Ladies as well.

George Wallace said:

I was instructed to do this during recruit training in the RCA Depot in 1958.

I seem to remember it was a potential question for our saluting test in 1988 in Cornwallis.

George Wallace said:
Ummmm?  What kind of salute other than a "Military" do we have already?
... Military salute (old preunification high five) vice naval salute (flat hand)

George Wallace said:
Carry on.

[/quote

That's always one of the fun perks.
But if you're the one having respects paid to.
I would prefer the drill movements from 1867
My troop sergeant and corporal had spent the summer 1967 as part of a period drill guard.
I had gotten them involved in a garden party for the officer's mess since I was responsible for the party, I came early
Along with my young lady. So my two ncos decided they would surprise me with the salute from 1867.
However the one who was most surprised was my. Young lady.  I had to explain their 1867 uniforms and drill

B]

Back