• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

why I HATE future shop!!!!!!

Sf2

Inactive
Reaction score
I take my wife in there so she can look for a CD she wanted, and we walk out with this:

10051021.jpg

Harmon Kardon Dolby Digital/DTS 6.1 reciever, along with a Harmon Kardon 6 speaker + 10" subwoofer

10055325.jpg

DAMN YOU BOXING WEEK SALE....DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!!!!!

Well, you're gonna need something to play the CD with aren't you? ;)

please for the love of god tell me you didn't buy the Product Service Plan?  If you did you can kiss that money good bye as Future Shop rarely honours those.

Nice setup by the way.

I never buy those plans or extended warranties....

Paid just under 1200 taxes in.

Very nice setup. I love anything silver.

I've always been a "NO NO NO" kind of guy when they even remotely hint at the PSP.

I don't really like Future Shop since Best Buy has opened up near me. I had a car alarm and starter installed last October at Best Buy. One of those two way thingies.
5bcrx.jpg

I got the 4 year PSP for $44 dollars because I knew this thing wouldn't last 4 years being so small. The Remote started acting up and the LCD was going goofy on me, so I took it in today. Got a brand new one - price tagged $160. No hiden fees or anything. Didn't even need the receipt, they have it all on the computer. Another story, my buddy bought a DELL laptop with what I thought was the most expensive PSP - Around $200+. It's covered if he drops it and brakes it. Wish I had taken the PSP on my laptop, since it got completely mangled in the car accident recently. Now a days, I think about what I'm getting, and how easily is it broken and I make good use of the PSPs.

Another thing I found was that some sales people get more commission on the PSP then the product, and most of them can reduce the price of the product. So lets say they knock off $40 off the product price and the PSP is $40, you're still paying the same price, but you get the PSP, and they have their commission. Happend to me at The Sony Store with my Video Camera.

The psp's aren't always that bad, although I don't get them anymore... 

I know 'this guy' that had one on a digital camera and it took them too long to fix it, so they gave him a new one.  Then a few weeks after that they called him up and said that his camera was fixed. 

Two cameras for the price of one, even if the new one was not quite as good. 

But yeah, futureshop definately takes at least 50% of my paycheques.  I like stuff!

dk said:
I don't really like Future Shop since Best Buy has opened up near me.

???
The Future Shop is owned by Best Buy.

Is there that much difference ?

I go in to get a vacuum and the wife walks out with the top of the line iPod.

old medic said:
???
The Future Shop is owned by Best Buy.

Is there that much difference ?

That's mostly personal opinion. As far as I know, Future Shop employees are commissioned on everything. Best Buy employees only get Commission on PSP. When Best Buy first opened up, they sales people would come up, and the first thing would be, we're not commissioned, how can I help you. (I'm paraphrasing of course) They have a less Vulture Like attitude. But it's not like other places where you can't find a sales person even if you wanted to.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

Future Shop isn't commissioned either, at least, that's what the guy who sold me this system said....

short final said:
Future Shop isn't commissioned either, at least, that's what the guy who sold me this system said....

Maybe they have changed since Best Buy took over. But my buddy used to work there before and they were commissioned.
They still attack you when you are in each their section. It's personal preference, but I usually do some reaserch before I go in and then do some looking around, and ask for help when i'm done doing some comparison. But for impulse shopping that's a totally different story  :)

I was going to buy a Sony Vaio Laptop at the Sony Store,they asked me about the service plan. It kinda startled me. Should it not be under warranty for 2 years.

I then asked about the local support/service in Bedford (NS) or HRM. He told me they send it to the big TO at your cost for servicing.

I am confused and dissappointed with Sony or was it just the salesperson. I held off on the laptop.

Crow

short final said:

As of last week they were (I asked after they kept trying to push the expensive phone systems), I do not think there compensation and benefits plan has changed in the week.

I bough a big screen TV from futureshop a few years ago and got PSP.  Ended up being a good decision as it broke after about 3 years ( psp was 4 years then) and had absolutely no problems getting it fixed right away.  2 months before the psp expired i had it fixed again with no problems.

As for the Bestuy vs futureshop thing, i prefer best buy.  their stores IMHO are better organized and, even though its the same company basicaly, some stuff was cheaper at BB.

I just got a Plasma TV at Future Shop and brought in the Ad from Best Buy and got it at that price.  The next week the price had dropped $200 and I got a refund to that price ( only $100 because the Salesman had already given me a discount on original purchase).  Boxing Week sales, knocked another $100 off the price.  If this keeps up, in another 16 weeks I may have got a 42 inch Plasma TV for free.... ;D (If only  ;D ).  Now I will have to try out the PSP, as the audio inputs don't work with the DVI, Component Video, or S-Video modes (only when I hook up the RF Cable do I get sound out of the Speakers)  Thankfully, I am running the sound through a Home Theatre system.  Still would be nice if the TV speakers would work properly though.

Personally I don't like buying anything big from FutureShop or Best Buy (of course since I'm a poor, poor student, I have to if I need something cheap).  This past summer I needed to get a new printer as my circa 2000 one finally died on me.  So as per usual I did a whole bunch of research online and decided upon my model.  Once I finally got enough cash I headed up to Best Buy to purchase my new printer.  Intially I was somewhat impressed as I found a better printer (this time a 3-in-1) for about 40 dollars less than the model I wanted.  After a few moments of reading the little tags they have on the stuff - which tell you only the basics - a sales person approached and asked if I needed help.  I began asking him questions about the printer, you know basic stuff like "Whats the maximum DPI, how many sheets can it hold, how many pages a minute, etc etc etc".  He couldn't answer a single question, and with everyone I asked he looked down at the 'info sheet' which was also missing that information.  Of course I was being a bit of a dick as I had already researched this particular model, so I knew most of the answers.  So eventually i bought the thing, the guy was good enough to go looking for a shorter USB cable as the only ones they had were 10feet and I really don't need one that long.  He found one, but it was a USB 1.1 so I opted to go with the 10'...

And thats the story of how I got my printer.

In summation, Best Buy is okay.  If you want to actually talk to people who know their products I suggest going to a store like Bay Bloor Radio in toronto.

Shop at Staples for stuff like that, they have similar prices, and have people that know about the products.

I was going to buy a Sony Vaio Laptop at the Sony Store

NO!!!  I window shop there only.  I'd never buy anything from there!!

George, care to explain your sound problem in a little more detail?  You don't get any sound from the TV speakers when DVI or component is hooked up?

short final said:
George, care to explain your sound problem in a little more detail?  You don't get any sound from the TV speakers when DVI or component is hooked up?
Exactly...Speakers do work.  They give me sound when the RF cable is attached, providing both Video and Audio from the Sat Receiver.  DVI only provides Video from the Sat Receiver, as does the Component Video and S-Video cables, so I need to use Audio jacks to hook up also.  Audio isn't working from the Sat Receiver to the TV, but works fine to the Home Theatre/DVD receiver.  Audio jacks from the Home Theatre/DVD to the TV do not work either.  So I conclude that both Audio inputs to the TV are NS. 

Back