• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why is my occupation of choice not listed on occupations selections?

canadian32

Inactive
Reaction score
I started researching the Imagery Technician position and it is my dream job. However when I went to fill out my online CAF application and I had to select my preference occupations it was not listed. Is this a hard occupation to get into? One of the other occupations I selected was an "In demand" job. Does that mean they're going to get me to do the in demand job? Or do I still have a chance to do the occupation I really want to do, even though it is not listed. Can you switch careers within the Forces? Or are you stuck doing the job you were selected for.

canadian32, Image Tech was not listed as the CAF does not plan to hire any RegF Image Techs during Fiscal Year (FY) 2020/2021. It is a small trade and the number of positions available each year varies. This year (FY 2019/2020) there was a total of 9 positions, which have all been filled.

It is possible to change occupations after joining but members are not eligible to apply for a "Voluntary Occupation Transfer" until after 4 years of service. It is not recommended to join in an occupation unless you could see yourself staying in that trade.

winds_13 said:
canadian32, Image Tech was not listed as the CAF does not plan to hire any RegF Image Techs during Fiscal Year (FY) 2020/2021. It is a small trade and the number of positions available each year varies. This year (FY 2019/2020) there was a total of 9 positions, which have all been filled.

It is possible to change occupations after joining but members are not eligible to apply for a "Voluntary Occupation Transfer" until after 4 years of service. It is not recommended to join in an occupation unless you could see yourself staying in that trade.

Thank you for the reply, that was very helpful!

winds_13 said:

wait you need to be in for 4 years for a VOT I've never herd that I seen people go to different trades after BMQ (unless your talking about after someone does there DP1/Main trade )

Yes, 4 years for a regular VOT. It is possible to do a VOT-U prior to becoming trade qualified but it is a reduced list of trades that is offered.

The CAF is currently over-strength for IMAGE TECHs, so the likelihood of transferring through a VOT-U is extemely doubtful.

winds_13 said:
(...) the CAF does not plan to hire any RegF Image Techs during Fiscal Year (FY) 2020/2021. (...) This year (FY 2019/2020) there was a total of 9 positions, which have all been filled. (...)

I beg your pardon!
I've posted a question here, and then I've found another topic, then I've moved my question to there:
https://army.ca/forums/threads/130459.50.html

TheSnake said:
wait you need to be in for 4 years for a VOT I've never herd that I seen people go to different trades after BMQ (unless your talking about after someone does there DP1/Main trade )

Actually, for a VOT, you can be combat arms and apply after 3 years (LOTP).  The term VOT-U comes from a draft 5002-series DAOD that was supposed to supersede 6 x CFAos, but never happened.  VOT-U is technically a MOC Reassignment (refer to CFAO 11-5, Occupation Assignment and Reassignment of Non-Commissioned Members & CFAO 11-12, Occupation Transfer of Non-Commissioned Members for current reg's o).

The 16 page draft DAOD (5002- Occupation Transfer) actually did a good job of breaking OTs down:

Categories and Sub-categories
An OT is categorized as follows:
• voluntary occupation transfer (VOT) which includes:
- voluntary occupation transfer – untrained (VOT-U); and
- voluntary occupation transfer – trained (VOT-T); and
• compulsory occupation transfer (COT) which includes:
- compulsory occupation transfer – untrained (COT-U); and
- compulsory occupation transfer – trained (COT-T).

The untrained sub-category refers to a CF member who has not attained the:
• Basic Military Qualification; or
• Basic Military Officer Qualification; and
• Basic Occupational Qualification and reached the operationally functional point for the assigned military occupation.

The trained sub-category refers to a CF member who is qualified in the assigned military occupation and has attained the operationally functional point.

Note – The operationally functional point is defined in the military occupation specification.

Back