• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wishing to speak to someone who career changed

Hieneline

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New member to army.ca and aspiring RCAF Pilot. I have (what I think is) a unique situation, but maybe its not. I am looking to speak with someone that changed careers to become a Pilot in the RCAF if possible. I am really just looking for more information than what a recruiter or the website will give me. I am a CPL holder with group 1 IFR but only have a diploma, not a degree. Not sure if that helps with recruitment or if its completely irrelevant. If someone is willing to chat, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

How long of a career before switching? I have a friend who didn't joing as an RCAF pilot until he was either at or very close to 30, so not much of a "career" before that.

Lumber said:
How long of a career before switching? I have a friend who didn't joing as an RCAF pilot until he was either at or very close to 30, so not much of a "career" before that.

Thanks so much for the reply! You're 100% right with not much of a "career" as I'm only 5 years into it and I am almost 30, like your friend. . I think when I say "career" I'm more meaning that I would be leaving a long term type job (firefighter) to pursue this dream.

Hieneline said:
New member to army.ca and aspiring RCAF Pilot.

This may help,

You Want To Be A Pilot : 2018 - present 
https://navy.ca/forums/threads/130657.0
3 pages.

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

Hieneline said:
Thanks so much for the reply! You're 100% right with not much of a "career" as I'm only 5 years into it and I am almost 30, like your friend. . I think when I say "career" I'm more meaning that I would be leaving a long term type job (firefighter) to pursue this dream.

I can't speak to the pilot aspect, but many people have left the military at a similar age and successfully transitioned to civilian careers (government, industry, self-employment)

No reason that you can't do the opposite and successfully transition from a civilian career to the military. Personally, I think it's great when someone has some maturity and life experience, especially if they're going to be a leader right off the bat. 30 isn't THAT old, you can still easily do 25+ years if you want.

If you don't have a degree, maybe you can see if the CEOTP entry plan is still an option. Someone else should be able to provide some insight.

Hieneline said:

PM me your contact info and I'll see about putting you in touch with him.

mariomike said:
This may help,

You Want To Be A Pilot : 2018 - present 
https://navy.ca/forums/threads/130657.0
3 pages.

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

Thanks for this. Appreciate it

Back