• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Worldcup 2006 (Note: May contain spoilers if you are recording games)

primed in 9hrs, 45 min when England begins retaking the World Cup against Paraguay

That's the spirit! Oioioi!

That 5th official gets paid a load of cash for being on standby.

Torlyn said:
Oh, and after the replays, what did you think about that second Costa Rica goal?  I was convinced he was offside...

Yes I agree both players from Costa Rica looked offside, but it would not have made a difference, Poland looked outclassed. Costa Rica could be a spoiler team they looked good except for the goalie. I think he is their weak link. If the D, lets the other team shoot at him like the Germans did today then Costa Rica will be in trouble.  :)

Waking up early tomorrow for the England vs Paraguay match, should be a great tilt. ;D

1-0 England off of a Beckham free kick that nicked a Paraguyan player.
It was all Becks though, the Paraguayan barely touched it..

From Latin American refs, good Lord deliver us.  A competent Mexican referee is like an honest Haitian cop,  about as rare as unicorn poop.

Crouch should have stepped on him!!  Poor bastard kept getting called on everything by that slick haired ponce!

dileas

tess

Reffing?  I was too busy watching him call EVERYTHING against Crouch...  That was a sloppy, sloppy game.  We'd best be stronger.  Well, back to the rum, and the 24 hour Naval Westie World Cup Party.  :)

Close, but soccer matches often are, so I'm not too worried yet.

Positives: The normally questionable English Defense looked very good. Becks didn't choke, the midfield in general didn't choke. David James wasn't on the pitch. That OG is misleading, I think it woud have gone in anyway. Despite the tempo of the game being sketchy at times, England controlled possession for the majority of the game.

Negatives: Strikers not agressive enough, cutting out rather than in, not going that extra inch that a striker HAS to go to be great. I think it had something to do with fitness and the heat because their play dropped off after the first 20 mins where they were playing agressively and dominating.

Fair enough, but you're missing the biggest problem...  Sven.  WTF was he doing putting on Downing?  I mean...  Honestly.  If you need a bit of life in a team, throw on the kids.  But on Walcott.  No he hasn't been proven, but England will not make it past the first round of knock out stages without showing a bit more heart.

Wow...  True England fan here.  We win, and I'm still complaining.  :D  Happy with the result, but I'm hoping we work out these issues prior to Sweden.  BTW, if any Navy boys are here looking for a place to watch the game, and for a few tequila sunrise parties for weekend games, fire off a PM.  Che, where are you posted again?  ;)

T

I figured he was trying to shake up the strikers a bit, but Downing was a really strange choice and to take off Owen, arguably the best striker England has seen in a while, was even stranger.
I think young Theo will get in vs. T&T, though I would have loved to see him go in against Paraguay when Owen and Crouch went stagnant.

Not posted anywhere, but I am on the East coast so you'll have to drink one for me.

One?  Hehe...  I'm pie-eyed loaded in the break for Sweden and T&T, BBQ'ing steak at 10am.  Haven't slept since Thursday night...  Good training for being at sea, I hope.  :D  Right, I'll stop typing until Tuesday.  :D

Sweden looking worse than England did this morning...against TnT who are down a man.

GA NEDERLANDS GA!!!!

and then deutchland :) but I support my country all the way to number one. 

Ah!
I've seen every game so far!!!! I'm so tweaked on coffee to stay up so that I can do my course work and watch the games that my hands haven't stopped shaking for 3 days.
Iran blown away by mexico in the last ten minutes, Japan lost to the aussies in the last 3 minutes!
My favourite game so far still has to be the Sweden and Trinidad game, a tie game to the very end but what a nailbiter; Might also have been the Netherlands/Serbia game.

USA opener starting soon, vs. the Czech Republic.
I'm thinking a Tie is most realistic.
I think the CONCACAF teams are well overrated but the US is a reasonably good team and the Czechs are about evenly matched.

Goal by the Czechs!
I might have spoken too soon about the US being good, they look lacklustre right now.

3-0 Czechs,
The US were a team to watch in my books before that game, that was absolutely atrocious and I'd be surprised to see them win a game if they play like that against anyone else in their group.
That was the most dominating performance by any team in the tournament so far, not even close.

Italy v. Ghana coming up!
I think the Italians are another overrated team and we're due for a tie today.

I think holland will take it.  i am a die hard fan i got the symbol tattooed on my chest. but if not I want germany or england... England has a very good chance, with or without wayne rooney. I think Edwin van der sar will come up big for holland, and Van nistelrooy will give it his all 2. the only country that i REALLY dont wanna c win is brasil

I have never played organised soccer nor do I watch soccer games on t.v until now,

However I have found they are entertaining to watch. Since I don't have any sports channels I have to watch the Omni channels, which kinda sucks because being new, I need some of the commentary and my Portuguese and Cantonese language skills are none.

I did watch the Mexico/Iran game, but the ABC commentary in my opinion, wasn't very good.

edited for grammar and P.S

I'll add my name to the Netherland mob in this thread

Italy v. Ghana,
Ghana looking exceptional, if they tie this game it will put the group into disarray.

Make that 1 win for my Azurri  ;D though I thought Ghana played pretty good as well.

That first goal was suuuuuperb, I saw a shot from behind Pirlo and he shot it through ...8 players and it railed into the side.
Bad play by the Ghanian defender at the last there, there is no such thing as a soft pass that close to the penalty box.

I think quite obviously the Czechs and Italians will go through, but if there's one thing the cup has taught us until now, anything happens.

Back