• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Worldcup 2006 (Note: May contain spoilers if you are recording games)

yeah it was a stupid move , but was he provoked? mind you that doesn't mean you head-butt a guy but there's always two sides

806182973.jpg

1971043.jpg

8qz3.html

2768463803.jpg

That is all I will say!

dileas

tess

I am sure he was provoked, as you can see an exchange going on, but you think he could have waited 10 more minutes before doing so. Mind you he will likely be remembered for even longer now.

All the italians did after the first half was dive, walk around and fake alot. I'm positive Zidane got provoked but it was a bit of a overreaction from him. Italy didn't deserve to win
because of their poor play.

meni0n said:
All the italians did after the first half was dive, walk around and fake alot.

Nothing new there my friend....typical soccer.

Italy didn't deserve to win

Complain all you want gentlemen! I've been hearing it for 48 hours now.  26 consecutive games undefeated leading to the world cup, including the WC.

2-0 v Ghana
1-1 v US
2-0 v Czechs
1-0 v Australia
3-0 v Ukraine
2-0 v Germany
1-1 France
5-3 PKs

looks convincing to me.  Good ol'e Italian defence. ;D

From the rumours I heard, the italian guy called Zizus sister a whore........Bad form on both players part, If it hadnt happened. I think if he hadnt been red carded, the PK's would have turned out different.

I heard (another rumour, prob) that Zidane's mother is sick,
and that Materazzi told him that she's going to die...

EDIT:

But Materazzi denied speaking about his mother...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5169342.stm

I wouldn't give Materazzi much credit, though. The guy is an animal. One of the dirtiest players I've ever seen. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXJvnYBpFpY&search=materazzi )

If anything, Zidane didn't hit him hard enough.

Italy didn't deserve to win

Complain all you want gentlemen! I've been hearing it for 48 hours now.

26 consecutive games undefeated leading to the world cup, including the WC. Was there ever any doubt!

2-0 v Ghana
1-1 v US
2-0 v Czechs
1-0 v Australia
3-0 v Ukraine
2-0 v Germany
1-1 France
5-3 PKs

looks convincing to me.  Good ol'e Italian defence. And we actually put up more than a goal in almost all the games. Who says defence doesn't win games.
Cannavaro was spectacular during the whole tourney.....but I can see why they awarded the golden ball to Zizou. I congratulate him on a fantastic career, despite what occurred in the final match. Allez les bleus! but forza Italia..

Italy winning the world cup and Portugal and England finishing with nothing...priceless! (I apologize to my English buddy's, but I had to hear it from them for the last three weeks....oh the diving ,the acting, etc......it just doesn't matter anymore does it. ;D

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1152611583573&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064

Materazzi admits insulting Zidane
Zidane to explain himself in the coming days
Jul. 11, 2006. 11:12 AM
ASSOCIATED PRESS

MILAN, Italy — Marco Materazzi admits he insulted Zinedine Zidane before the France captain head-butted him in the World Cup final. Materazzi denies calling him a "terrorist."

"I did insult him, it's true," Materazzi said in Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport. "But I categorically did not call him a terrorist. I'm not cultured and I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is."

Zidane and Materazzi exchanged words after Italy broke up a French attack in extra-time of Sunday's final in Berlin. Seconds later, Zidane lowered his head and rammed Materazzi in the chest, knocking him to the ground.

Zidane was sent off, reducing France to 10 men. Italy won the game in a penalty shootout.

"I held his shirt for a few seconds only, then he turned round and spoke to me, sneering," the Italian defender said. "He looked me up and down, arrogantly and said: 'If you really want my shirt, I'll give it to you afterwards.' "

The 32-year-old Inter Milan player did not elaborate exactly on what he said to Zidane.

"It was one of those insults you're told tens of times and that always fly around the pitch," he said.

Media reports, based on interpretations by lip-readers, have suggested that Materazzi called Zidane a terrorist or insulted his mother or sister. Materazzi denies these claims, too.

"For me, the mother is sacred, you know that," Materazzi told the newspaper.

Meanwhile, according to a poll published Tuesday, 61 per cent of people in France forgive the now-retired team captain for the head-butt.

More than 50 per cent of the 802 respondents said they understood Zidane’s reaction, according to the poll conducted by telephone by CSA polling agency published in Tuesday’s Le Parisien newspaper. No margin of error was given.

Zidane’s agent said he would explain himself in the coming days.

The French overwhelmingly agreed with FIFA, which awarded Zidane the Golden Ball as the tournament’s best player on Monday, despite the brutal parting move. Seventy-eight per cent of respondents said Zidane — who became a national hero for leading France to its only World Cup victory in 1998, on its home turf — deserved the award.

More than 60 per cent of those polled said they were satisfied with the national team’s performance, in spite of Sunday’s defeat.

Also Tuesday, Algeria’s president defended Zidane and said soccer fans shouldn’t condemn him.

"We are just human beings, our duty is not to judge, our duty is to understand," Abdelaziz Bouteflika said in London after meeting with British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

how and the F**K does he not know what an islamic terroist is? where the has he been? no but he called him something else , which is all right ???

I can't believe a word of what he says now,
At first he denied saying anything at all to him and now he's saying that he did insult him just not as bad as everyones saying.

I read in the daily telegraph (or some other rag) that they had a lip reader and a translator figure out what he said and it was something nasty stuff.

Whatever you think of Zidane he sure made his last game memorable :D

hey hes a great player and if not for a great save by a great goalie( Buffon) no one would care who and why he head butted some dude.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1152698532527&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

Zidane: 'I apologize to all the children'
Jul. 12, 2006. 02:38 PM
ASSOCIATED PRESS

PARIS — French French soccer star Zinedine Zidane apologized for head-butting an Italian opponent during the World Cup final, saying Wednesday that he was provoked by insults about his mother and sister.

"I apologize, to all the children" who watched the match Sunday, Zidane said in his first, highly awaited comments about the act of violence that marked the 
end of his career.

Zidane did not specify exactly what Italian defender Marco Materazzi said that enraged him, but that it was insulting to his sister and mother, who is believed to be unwell.

"I would rather have taken a punch in the jaw than have heard that," Zidane said, stressing that Materazzi’s language was "very harsh."

Zidane and Materazzi exchanged words after Italy broke up a French attack in extra-time. Seconds later, Zidane lowered his head and rammed Materazzi in the chest, knocking him to the ground.

Zidane was sent off, reducing France to 10 men. Italy went on to win in a penalty shootout.

The France captain said he felt no regret for his act, "because that would mean (Materazzi) was right to say all that."

At nearly the same moment Zidane was appearing on French TV, excerpts from an interview that Materazzi gave to Italian sports daily Gazzetta dello Sport were posted on the newspaper’s Web site.

"I didn’t say anything to him about racism, religion or politics," Materazzi told the Gazzetta. "I didn’t talk about his mother either. I lost my mother when I was 15 and even now I still get emotional talking about her. Naturally, I didn’t know his (mother) was in the hospital, I give her my best wishes."

"He’s always been my hero, I admire him a lot."

For days, sports fans around the world have been riveted by the question: What could Materazzi have said to set Zidane off? Media from Brazil to Britain hired lip readers to try to figure it out, then came up with different answers.

Materazzi has acknowledged he insulted Zidane, without giving specifics.

Materazzi spoke to Zidane in Italian. Zidane, who played several years for Juventus in Turin, speaks Italian.

Despite the head-butt, Zidane was awarded the Golden Ball award for best player at the World Cup — though FIFA president Sepp Blatter has suggested Zidane could be stripped of the honour.

"The winner of the award is not decided by FIFA, but by an international commission of journalists," Blatter said in Italian newspaper La Repubblica. "That said, FIFA’s executive committee has the right, and the duty, to intervene when faced with behavior contrary to the ethics of the sport."

In France, many have already pardoned Zidane, even without his explanation. A poll published Tuesday in Le Parisien newspaper showed that 61 percent of the 802 people questioned forgave Zidane.

I think this ends the ongoing debate as to what Marco said to Zizou....unless you have too much time on your hands, that is. I can't believe the media attention that's been centred around this head butt. I've heard psychologists on the radio shows, anger management experts, etc, going on and on about what triggers such boorish behaviour. It just happened, Zizou snapped because he couldn't take the trash talking anymore, it happens to the best of us. However, because he is arguably one of the game's best ever, we have to get a huge psychological study done on his behalf - he is still is human , is he not?

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&pubid=968163964505&cid=1153389186074&col=968705899037&call_page=TS_News&call_pageid=968332188492&call_pagepath=News/News

Zidane, Materazzi suspended, fined
Jul. 20, 2006. 12:43 PM
ASSOCIATED PRESS

PARIS — Zinedine Zidane was banned by FIFA for three games Thursday for head-butting Italy defender Marco Materazzi during the World Cup final. Now retired, the former France captain will serve his punishment by doing community work.

Materazzi was suspended for two matches for provoking Zidane with insults.

World soccer’s governing body also fined Zidane $6,000 and Materazzi $4,000 after a disciplinary committee heard the French player’s account of what led to the incident.

Zidane, who retired after his team’s loss in the July 9 final in Berlin, was sent off for ramming Materazzi in the chest with his head.

He agreed to complete three days of community service with children as part of FIFA’s humanitarian projects.

“Community service is not something foreseen in the regulations,” FIFA spokesman Andreas Herren said. “It is a gesture, given the special circumstances involved.’’

Zidane has said he attacked Materazzi because he insulted his mother and sister, while Materazzi denied insulting Zidane’s mother.

FIFA said Materazzi was punished for “repeatedly provoking Zidane.”

“Both players stressed that Materazzi’s comments had been defamatory but not of a racist nature,” FIFA said in a statement.

The players apologized to FIFA for “their inappropriate behaviour and expressed their regret at the incident,” FIFA said.

Materazzi will miss Italy’s opening two Euro 2008 qualifiers against Lithuania on Sept. 2 and France on Sept. 6.

Zidane, who had already submitted written testimony, spent about 90 minutes in a private hearing Thursday morning before a five-man FIFA committee. Materazzi appeared before the FIFA panel last week.

“We respect the definitive verdict by FIFA’s disciplinary commission,” Italian soccer federation commissioner Guido Rossi said. “But the episode was captured on television and (any opinion) is up to the judgment of people throughout the world.’’

Former Italy captain Paolo Maldini said: it was “scandalous to ban a player for having said something.’’

“It’s the first time that it’s happened and it’s only because Materazzi is Italian and because they want to justify the gesture of a great champion, who made a mistake,” he said at AC Milan’s training camp.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter had suggested Zidane, widely considered one of the greatest players of his generation, could be stripped of his Golden Ball award as the World Cup’s best player. The issue was not addressed by the disciplinary panel, FIFA said.

In a French television appearance last week, Zidane apologized to children who watched the match, but said he didn’t regret his actions because he was provoked by repeated harsh insults about his family.

Playing in extra time in his farewell game, Zidane and Materazzi exchanged words as the two walked up field. Zidane appeared to be distancing himself from the Italian, but then turned, lowered his bald head, and drove it into Materazzi’s chest — knocking him to the ground.

Italy went on to win its fourth World Cup, 5-3, on penalties after a 1-1 extra-time draw.

The Italian soccer federation said it hasn’t decided yet whether to appeal the decision on Materazzi.

FIFA made a mistake IMHO. Although what Materrazi said was distasteful, unprofessional, and downright rude, it is not grounds for fine/suspension. Let me also state that I am NOT an Italian fan, in fact they are on my 'Teams I Love to See Lose' list. Materrazi made disparaging remarks about Zidane's Mum and Sis. That happens in virtually every sport and is tolerated in virtually every sport. (Anyone see Slapshot?) Had it been a racial remark (like the rumoured 'Terrorist' remark), ok, fine/suspend him. But normal trashtalk is a common practice and is intended to knock your opponent off his game (which it did in this case). I don't like it, but it's between the players and should be left alone. 

It's kind of funny for FIFA to take such a morally superior attitude towards this when it seems to allow outright cheating (diving, lying). So let me get this straight...it's ok to fake injury/contact, but don't call your opponent's mum a prostitute? C'mon.

Oh, and if you're gonna headbut someone, do it right and knock his teeth in.

Back