• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Worst choice..quitting the forces

CDN Aviator said:
How much longer is this hugfest going to go on.......

I agree.  Is this some sort of support group?  :p

Come on guys, you left, remember the good times, use the skills you learned in that short time (legally of course), then move on..

it took me about a month to miss the army after i vr'd (reg force). i was marching around my gf's house showing her shit and how to properly make a bed. lol, i took an hour out of one of my days and finally realized i missed it too much for the month i was there to be back in civvy life. now im going back in august. cant wait.  ;D

I look at it this way, if ya didn't like it the first time, chances are pretty good you won't like it a second time. Ya pulled off or got out for whatever reasons.  Thats your personal problem, not something that nees to be plastered over the internet, regardless of what type of forum.  It screams nothing more than 'poor old me'.  Enough hugging and butt slapping, the army aint meant to be nice!

Kiwi99 I couldn't agree with you any less. I  got out of the Forces after a couple years and within months I regretted my decision. it took me two years to get back in but 28 years later I'm still in and having a great time.

Hate to tell you but i know of MANY ppl that have gotten out of the Cf and are much happier for it . most are not "Well after my second year" types these are proffesional NCO's . 10 + yrs . I'm on the downhill slide and when I get out I'm  not looking back love my job hate the uniform... And before I get a flamefest going let me tell you I've already invested 20 yrs into this and wont miss it when i walk away ...

nothing about this topic seems like a "poor old me" topic, its more of a "if you are gonna vr, think long and hard or you'll be waiting a year or so to get back." i loved it when i vr'd, but i vr'd due to my moms medical problem so you saying people wont like it the second time goes in the trash. we're humans, we make mistakes.

Kiwi99 said:
I look at it this way, if ya didn't like it the first time, chances are pretty good you won't like it a second time. Ya pulled off or got out for whatever reasons.  Thats your personal problem, not something that nees to be plastered over the internet, regardless of what type of forum.  It screams nothing more than 'poor old me'.  Enough hugging and butt slapping, the army aint meant to be nice!

I'm glad your not in recruiting, your entitled to your opinion but I (and others) disagree with it... no one here was asking for symphony or a hug were just sharing our experiences (and past mistakes) that's what these forums are for... everyone makes mistakes that doesn't mean we can't learn from them... thanks for you service in the army, it's much appreciated.

My .02

TN2IC said:
I wish you the best of luck. Remember it is a game. They all have to stand in the line at Tim Hortons.

Well said.  :salute:

Quote from: Kiwi99 on Yesterday at 14:06:10

I'm glad your not in recruiting, your entitled to your opinion but I (and others) disagree with it... no one here was asking for symphony or a hug were just sharing our experiences (and past mistakes) that's what these forums are for... everyone makes mistakes that doesn't mean we can't learn from them... thanks for you service in the army, it's much appreciated.

My .02

Hard training has a way of instilling a "They're not one of us" attitude in troops. On my own BMQ, SQ, and BIQ I remember guys who quit being alienated, taunted, and generally treated like outcasts...

The troops on grad parade are a proud bunch. They've accomplished something difficult - something that not everyone can do. Its a feeling of superiority - you are Darwin's fittest, the strongest, and most determined. You survived what others gave up on. Its part of the necessary conditioning a soldier goes through in order to have a "never give up" mentality in a time of war. Its stress inoculation, knowing that "I'm a hard motherfucker, and I've been through worse." But with that comes the knowledge that "That guy couldn't hack it". Troops have a way of feeding off those who quit. The more guys who don't make it the more exclusive the successful group becomes. It's the reason for elitist attitudes and resentment towards those who hold them.  It's an unfortunate side effect of what I believe to be a necessary mentality.

I'm not taking sides on this issue or justifying one way or the other. Just thinking out loud...

Thats not my tone at all.  My opinion here is that no matter how long you were in for, once you're out its time to move on.  Dont mope over life's mistakes, don't sound like a bunch of Marlon Brando's moaning 'I couldda been a contender, I couldda been somebody..!"  What wrong with the life you're leading now?

Wonderbread said:
Hard training has a way of instilling a "They're not one of us" attitude in troops. On my own BMQ, SQ, and BIQ I remember guys who quit being alienated, taunted, and generally treated like outcasts...

The troops on grad parade are a proud bunch. They've accomplished something difficult - something that not everyone can do. Its a feeling of superiority - you are Darwin's fittest, the strongest, and most determined. You survived what others gave up on. Its part of the necessary conditioning a soldier goes through in order to have a "never give up" mentality in a time of war. Its stress inoculation, knowing that "I'm a hard motherfucker, and I've been through worse." But with that comes the knowledge that "That guy couldn't hack it". Troops have a way of feeding off those who quit. The more guys who don't make it the more exclusive the successful group becomes. It's the reason for elitist attitudes and resentment towards those who hold them.  It's an unfortunate side effect of what I believe to be a necessary mentality.

I'm not taking sides on this issue or justifying one way or the other. Just thinking out loud...

I agree/understand your point.. I felt like crap for awhile after leaving my platoon mates (seeing their grad pic online didn't help either).. but I knew that I could either continue feeling like crap/regretting my decision or actually do something about it, so I reapplied and hope to be back in soon...

greymatter, my life is fine now but my life in the CF will be much better...

This topic/ thread is just some people sharing their regrets about releasing from the CF.. also telling others that are thinking about it "DON'T QUIT" some of us (many others) have regretted it and you probably will too...  Some of us are rejoining, but I don't recall ever asking anyone on these forums "How do ya think I do this time around?", "Do you think I should rejoin?", "Do ya think I'll quit again?" "Do ya think I'll make a good CF member, even though I VR'd in the past?"  I'm confident I know the answers for myself, or else I wouldn't be reapplying.. if people that don't know me wanna disagree that's fine I guess.. but it's doesn't make a difference to me or change my plans/views.

My .02    

I know I'm "beating a dead horse" but I too released in 2003 after my BE.  I didn't VR, but I didn't resign.  I left for a woman, like a lot of us guys do and once I was out, I wanted to get back in sooooo bad, I even joined the reserves as a Med A just to keep me involved "so to speak"  Though my woman hated the idea I still joined.  Well our relationship lasted about seven months after my release and I'm proud to say I was in the recruiting centre that week.  To make a long story short, I've been back in for about 2 1/2 years and loving it once again, sure there's some BS in the Military, but there's BS on Civy street too, just a different kind of BS  ;D  So I agree, don't get out unless you're really sure it the right move for you.....and for god sake, don't leave for a WOMAN.  ;D

Cheers  :salute:

sure there's some BS in the Military, but there's BS on civvy street too, just a different kind of BS  ...so true, released after 24 years last aug. Now, all the 'T's are crossed and 'i's doted I start in the reserves this aug or sept. Friend I knew, released after 20+ last fall because of the BS. Got a civvi job at a bank and lasted about 2 weeks; he said he couldn't believe all the whining, back-stabbing and BS at the job. He's now back in on a class 'B' contract.

'The grass may look greener on the other side, but it's just a another shade and fed a different kind of crap'

xo31@711ret said:
sure there's some BS in the Military, but there's BS on civvy street too, just a different kind of BS  ...so true, released after 24 years last aug. Now, all the 'T's are crossed and 'i's doted I start in the reserves this aug or sept. Friend I knew, released after 20+ last fall because of the BS. Got a civvi job at a bank and lasted about 2 weeks; he said he couldn't believe all the whining, back-stabbing and BS at the job. He's now back in on a class 'B' contract.

'The grass may look greener on the other side, but it's just a another shade and fed a different kind of crap'

"The grass"  You couldn't more right  :salute:

Greymatters said:
I agree.  Is this some sort of support group?   :p

Come on guys, you left, remember the good times, use the skills you learned in that short time (legally of course), then move on..

Sorry for digging up yet another oldy but I must say I agree with your opinion but this thread is good, whats so bad? Telling your story about the biggest mistakes of our lives ( at leaste thats how I see it) helps those who have to keep thier motivation and for those thinking about it not to quit. It really sucks going from having a 7 on your shoulder to getting a nice big P (of course representing PAT) and watching your platoon graduate...So learn from us, dont do it!

Argh to the Zee said:
Me best friend is still on course (reserves weekend BMQ) and every weekend when my friend comes back and tells me about it, is like having a mallet hit your stones as they are on an anvil.

Will, I will say one thing, quitting and feeling like shite for it will sure make your resolve to do it next time really really high. SO hopefully soon, I can be back in it.

Honestly, above my PC desk I just have the two important documents framed that I got when I signed up back in 2004.  The Canadian Forces Oath of Allegiance, and the Certificate of Military Achievement.

Here I now sit, 4 years later...regretting leaving and wasting 4 years of my life while I could have toughed(SP?) it out and been a higher rank now and having a good career.

I plan to be back late 2008 or early 2009 Reg force this time, no reserves and to stay in it!

Hi, my name is Bart and I miss the Army  :(

I released in July 2005 during IAP and life is good.  I fell from that almost directly into a great job, I work with excellent people, and make really good money.  I own a house, car, truck, motorcycle, and more firearms than the arsenal of some small countries;  I live a pretty darned good and very comfortable life.  Leaving the Army treated me really well, if I had stayed in I would be a third year civvy U OCdt. making less than stellar money and living in considerably less posh accomodations than I am writing you from today.

But,

Leaving the forces is always the rub for me, the one thing left undone.  Leaving is one of very few things that I've done in my life that I'm not proud of.  I can't remember the last day that went by when I didn't think about where I would (should) be.  I still find myself logging on to this website as much as I did when I was a prospective OCdt. looking for info, and on the recruiting site once every couple months at least.  So I'm plugging away at my degree in my spare time (My hat is off to those entering via CEOTP, doing a degree while working full time is a big challenge).  So if I ever get that piece of paper I'll be back to finish what I started.

Brodie

I_Drive_Planes said:
I released in July 2005 during IAP and life is good.  I fell from that almost directly into a great job, I work with excellent people, and make really good money.  I own a house, car, truck, motorcycle, and more firearms than the arsenal of some small countries;  I live a pretty darned good and very comfortable life.  Leaving the Army treated me really well, if I had stayed in I would be a third year civvy U OCdt. making less than stellar money and living in considerably less posh accomodations than I am writing you from today.

But....

Well thats good I mean when I left all I ended up in was a dead end job, sure I got more schooling under my belt now but its been a hard 3 years. Im glad things werent as easy going for me, its kindve my punishment for being so obtuse now I know what i want in life and am striving for excellence every step of the way. Cheers!

Back