• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Would being in the reserves help me toward my future in the forces?

TheHunter

Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry about that I wasn't too specific. What I was trying to ask is if I were in the reserves for a certain amount of time would that help toward my future career in the army? I know it would give me experience. I'm only 15 so I still need to wait a few more months, (it might not even happen as I would need to move back with family in New Brunswick because there's no base where I am) but I'm thinking about becoming an officer because my parents are making me go to university no matter what. Would being in the reserves through highschool help me toward being an officer?

TheHunter, I had some difficulty trying to understand your intentions especially given your thread title.

Give the experienced forum members more to work with so they can help you find the answer you're looking for. If you at least narrow down what you'd like to do in the Reserves, the website forces.ca will tell you the which education a certain trade requires. This could help you choose the right university program if you do want to go the officer route. http://forces.ca/en/jobexplorer/browsejobs-70

These are the age requirements to apply: http://forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100

I did this before I started my application for the Reserves:
1. Research the trades I found interesting (e.g. combat engineer) http://forces.ca/en/page/careeroptions-123
2. Found (the closest) Reserve unit of that trade under the Part-Time Option tab
3. Contacted that unit to book an appointment to come in for a tour. They answered my "ins and outs."

I haven't looked back on my decision to join, but good luck on whatever you decide! Remember to review your post and try to be more specific about what you are seeking.

TheHunter said:
Sorry about that I wasn't too specific. What I was trying to ask is if I were in the reserves for a certain amount of time would that help toward my future career in the army? I know it would give me experience. I'm only 15 so I still need to wait a few more months, (it might not even happen as I would need to move back with family in New Brunswick because there's no base where I am) but I'm thinking about becoming an officer because my parents are making me go to university no matter what. Would being in the reserves through highschool help me toward being an officer?

It absolutely would be a bonus.

1) It gives you a taste of what the military is about without making the larger commitment in the regular force.

2) It may allow you to complete your BMQ (which would write off portions of your BMOQ). This gives you a little boost as you may avoid some of the waiting for the basic training that some people encounter.

3) It would give you a pay advantage over what it would be if you went straight into ROTP as an OCdt. This is especially so if you make it to Cpl (2 years in with initial trades training).

4) Experience working with the reserves gives you a heads up over other candidates with no military experience. The CT process is quicker and easier than the recruiting process which is quite competitive now.

Thanks a lot. Another question, this is probably a stupid one but I'm just curious. During highschool would you be able to join the reserves as an officer in anyway? What you said about becoming a cpl?

If I remember correctly you must be enrolled in or have a valid acceptance to a accredited university program in order to enroll as an officer.

Given how quick the promotion is to Corporal (Cpl) in the reserves (two years with trade qualification), which maps nicely to the last two years of high school before going to university. It was a common tactic for motivated young persons such as yourself to join the reserves, do the part time and full time summer work, and once you reach the rank of Cpl you are just graduating high school. Then when you transfer to Regular force officer under the Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP) you would maintain the pay rate of Cpl instead of that of officer cadet (OCdt). This would give you quite a step up from the pay of most Royal Military College  (RMC) cadets.

Firstly, do you want to go to university or is that something your parents want you to do?

Secondly, do you only want to be an officer because you will have a degree? As it's a position that bears a lot of responsibility and maturity.

While it's important to respect you're parents you should come to these decisions yourself. That way you'll be motivated to complete these tasks with your full attention and ability. Let your parents know these things in a respectful manner as I'm sure they only want the best for you.

That said the reserves would be a great step.  For reasons pointed out by radop. Not to mention paid schooling and paid while attending school. In turn though you will give time back. Even if you choose not pursue a career in the forces your experience with them will help in the future.

If it's possible you should head on over to a recruiting center to speak with them about your options. Take your parents with you as I'm sure they'll have questions too. But remember whatever route you go you have to choose for the right reasons. And some of those reasons might get pointed out to you by your parents. Take it from a guy who didn't go to university because he didn't want to waste spend 4 years at school... So officer isn't really at route for me. And would have been nice to have that option. Plus it will help you after your time in the forces.

Good luck

My stepdad served 10 years in the infantry and he was injured. He told me that I should always have something to fall back on because you can't always count on your body. I completely agree with that so university is my decision.

And yes I understand that there is a lot of responsibility with being an officer. So far with sports (I know not the same thing) I have felt I've been a good leader. Joining the forces is something I really want to do

As for going to a recruiting office, I am going to Oromocto this weekend to see family so I will most likely stop by the one in CFB Gagetown. Thanks to everyone for the information I really appreciate it

You could always just keep the ROTP option on the back burner. Join the reserves now and see how you like it. When it comes time to apply for ROTP, decide if you really want it. If you are happy being an NCM then stay NCM if you want to commission, commission.

When I brought up the joining the forces and ROTP my mother was quite supportive, when I got declined I wanted to just skip university and join right away as a Nav Com. My mother wouldn't "let" me , I was 18 at the time and could of made my own decision but I decided to listen to her.

I'm fairly happy with how my current situation is, but honestly I can't wait to get this degree done so I can go reg force.

Your mileage may vary

Back