• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Would you like to put a ‘Support our troops’ ribbon on your own vehicle?

I had my arid CADPAT SOT magnet disappear so I've taken my 2 SOT magnets from the fridge and taped them to the inside of my car. I have no reason to take them off and now they won't "fall" off.  ;D

My CADPAT magnet made it through two years of living in Toronto, only to be stolen within two weeks of moving to Belleville.

My current magnet is stuck to our front door, which acts as NDP repellent.  ;D

i have a "Support The Troops" pin on my hat and i also have a "Support The Troops" T-shirt i wear once and awhile.

My wife and I wear red on fridays, and we(my family) all have a magnet on our cars and trucks. the boys I work with have asked for the magnets, and I had my sister in law send home a couple of dozen or so and I have sold all but 1 in four months. there are even magnets on the trains we drive for C.P.! My brother is overseas and we all miss him very much...considering the toll we have paid this week(16aug-21aug2008). I am as patriotic as the next man, and proud to wear the ribbon! Ubique

Haggis said:
I also have a "Support Our Troops" and "Army" stickers on my ATV.
YES! So do I. I have the Support Our Troops window cling on the windshield and an :army: ARMY sticker on the back.

Up The Johns!

hmmm that's a really good idea  ;D

Already chased an individual off my doorstep the other day...

"Are you aware that Stephan Harper and the Conservatives lied about the Agent Orange compensation package..."

Me: "Are you aware of which party it was that sprayed us in the first place?"

:eek:

Wook

I used to have one in my car until someone stole it. In fact, this is the second time someone stole the "Support our Troops" ribbon on my car. I wonder why would someone take it away  ???

anyway, the good thing is , I have 3 more and I'll put them on.

They say no good deed goes unpunished...

Some time ago, I placed an order through Canex for a few hats, magnets and plastic decals.
The theory was 2 hats for me (no, I don't have two heads -I ordered one blue and one red: for Fridays) and a plastic decal for my car (not enough metal in the back for a magnet). The remaining hats were to be given to friends who I knew were pro military and I planned to make it known at work that I had some magnets available (free) in case anyone wished to display one on their vehicle. For some reason, such things were hard to find locally at that time.

In short order, I received a great bloody box from Canex. It turns out I was their umpteenth-thousand customer and therefore they had added a number of things to my order. this included two red fleece jackets, the Julian Austin CD, dog tag keychains, luggage tags and extra stickers. All of which (including my original order) were free of charge.

The vehicle magnets, by the way, were immediately snapped up by co-workers and promptly put on display.

I'm in a new town now, at a new job and a new vehicle (with lots of metal in the back) is in the works.

You know who'll be getting my business for the next order of 'Support our Troops' gear... 

Can you buy these magnets at a legion or do you have to order them from somewhere?

Smirnoff123 said:
Can you buy these magnets at a legion or do you have to order them from somewhere?

In some towns/cities, many retailers sell them as well.  Last time I checked, Canadian Tire was still selling them on consignment for the Legion, I believe.

I have license plate covers front and rear. I picked them up at the CNE two yeas ago.

It appears that I'm the only person on this forum who is willing to admit it, but I do not have a "Support our troops" ribbon on my vehicle, not do I want one. Quite frankly, doing so would end up making me feel like a hypocrite, as it's basically telling everyone who sees it that they should support... me and my coworkers. To me, it seems just so self-serving for CF members to be displaying those ribbons.

Of course, this doesn't mean that I have a problem with friends and family showing their support.

doing so would end up making me feel like a hypocrite, as it's basically telling everyone who sees it that they should support... me and my coworkers.

Do you not believe you are worthy of support?  Or, do you not believe that the Canadian military, who is engaged in operations on our behalf is worthy of support?  Or do you not believe that the ideals that led you to join the military are not worthy of support?

I understand not wanting to look like "Hey, look at me, I'm a soldier, aren't I kewl", but at root, this is the reason we support our troops --because you are the enforcement arm of Canadian ideals, and when you support the troops, you support the reason they are put in harm's way in the first place.  If I pick up the tab in a restaurant cuz I happen to see you in uniform, it's not because you and your co-workers are so kewl, it's because you are Canadian soldiers doing a hard job--for Canada, and for me.

Alternatively, you could always get a t-shirt like this:

http://www.tshirthell.com/funny-shirts/support-our-troops-except-ron-that-guys-a-dick
;D

Gunnar said:
Do you not believe you are worthy of support?  Or, do you not believe that the Canadian military, who is engaged in operations on our behalf is worthy of support?  Or do you not believe that the ideals that led you to join the military are not worthy of support?

I understand not wanting to look like "Hey, look at me, I'm a soldier, aren't I kewl", but at root, this is the reason we support our troops --because you are the enforcement arm of Canadian ideals, and when you support the troops, you support the reason they are put in harm's way in the first place.  If I pick up the tab in a restaurant cuz I happen to see you in uniform, it's not because you and your co-workers are so kewl, it's because you are Canadian soldiers doing a hard job--for Canada, and for me.

Alternatively, you could always get a t-shirt like this:

http://www.tshirthell.com/funny-shirts/support-our-troops-except-ron-that-guys-a-dick
;D

It's not that I don't think that myself and my fellow service members aren't worthy of support. It's just that I think I myself displaying a decal asking for said support seems… tacky. Which is why I am fully in favour of other Canadians displaying their support, and would gladly accept a free dinner should you happen to want to buy me one. I just don't go out asking for it.

Also, that's an awesome t-shirt.

I don't have one on my car to support me, I have one to show my support as a tax payer/citizen for the men and women who chose to serve their country, whether at home or abroad. 

I also take the time to personally thank every soldier/sailor/aviator I meet who has recently returned from operations.  It's nice to hear a thank you from a citizen, but folks seems surprised to hear a thank you from another serving member...but then they often comment that it was also kind of nice to receive.

G2G

Well I guess I am in the minority, because I will not place a support magnet on my vehicle.  I just don't see how a flag, magnet or clothing item can be seen as any indication of troop support.

Anyone can put on a T-shirt that says "Support our Troops", but what are they really doing to support the troops?  Are they volunteering?  Are they offering support to the families left behind? 

The "Feel free to stand in front of them" magnet should never be displayed, we live in a free country and everyone is entitled to their opinions.  If they don't support the troops, then who cares?  I know I don't, and they shouldn't feel pressured to do so.

Anyway that's my  :2c: on the support ribbons and stuff.  Here is a magnet for those who keep getting their magnets stolen by Hippies http://www.bewild.com/soasstmysuma.html

Back