• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Would you like to put a ‘Support our troops’ ribbon on your own vehicle?

How the magnet etc helps,

Ah the money you pay for it goes to support military families

http://www.mfrc-ncr.org/english/merchandise.php

Those magnets common as dealer tags here in Kingston, but I notice how infrequently I see them in Toronto and other places. But if one-upmanship is the thing, I've seen these:

7292037v29_240x240_Front.jpg

gcclarke said:
It appears that I'm the only person on this forum who is willing to admit it, but I do not have a "Support our troops" ribbon on my vehicle, not do I want one. Quite frankly, doing so would end up making me feel like a hypocrite, as it's basically telling everyone who sees it that they should support... me and my coworkers. To me, it seems just so self-serving for CF members to be displaying those ribbons.

Of course, this doesn't mean that I have a problem with friends and family showing their support.

I agree.
As with me I will not put one on my vehicle etc.I do however have a ribbon in memory of a good friend who was killed.However I find it sort of weird,sorta like putting a sticker saying SUPPORT ME.That whole quiet professionalism I guess.
My mother and in laws all have them of course.

One thing that really annoys me and many of my friends is the "feel free to stand in front of them" stickers.I find it really rude.And besides why would people stand in front of us?Didn't you ever hear of geometry of fire? ;D

But seriously I hate that sticker....on anyones car.Yellow ribbons are quaint and it's nice to see around.Just not on army peoples vehicles.

As for the vet license plates I despise seeing 20 yr olds driving around with it.Your not a vet.When your retired your a vet IMHO.

Go ahead....I'm ready for it.

On the whole supporting myself line of thought,

That's why I took down the support me sticker and replaced it with the support our troops one as in my line of thinking I am just one of many troops and I can still do my part for those that are deployed etc. (like I posted before the money goes to support the families of troops etc.)

This is in no way meant to say anyone else is wrong or any of that, just my way of looking at it.

I agree with you about the "Feel free" stickers. Seems hypocritical (to me anyway) to wear the uniform and fight with the purpose of giving non-supporters the freedom to voice that opinion and at the same time say if you choose not to support us, get in the front. Again, just my opinion.

I disagree about the vet licence plate. While I am sure there are 20 somethings who may not be necessarily the most deserving of the title, I would argue that a friend of mine from our basic training 3.5 years ago who has completed two 6 month tours in Afghanistan (and got injured) before I was even 100% QL3 qualified without question deserves to have such a licence plate. (He doesn't have one) I know he has seen more things in those two periods overseas than I likely will in the next twenty years as a MOC 500. Not all people deserving of the VET title stay in for 20 years and hang out at the legion. On the other side of the coin I asked my father who was in for 30 years as a support trade why he did not have one and he said he did not feel like a VET compared to others and does not feel the need to display the fact he was "in" to feel proud of his career in the CF. Same reason I don't put magnets on my car. Who am I to tell someone what to believe/support?

That is just another perspective....

Teflon said:
How the magnet etc helps,

Ah the money you pay for it goes to support military families

http://www.mfrc-ncr.org/english/merchandise.php

Yeah if purchased from the MFRC or the Canex, but what about the hundreds of other places that sell that crap?

You said you didn't see how purchacing a magnet helped, well I pointed out a way it does

and as to your consideration of "support our Troops" items as "crap", to each their own, your idea of "crap" is my idea of a nice sentament

I don't think I'd be deserving of the "Vet" plate, however I would feel comfortable with a "Legion" plate, as I am in fact a member. If I ever go overseas, then my thought on the "Vet" plate would change.

As for the ribbon, I had one on the car before I even left the lot. The sales girl had a chuckle when I wouldn't leave the lot until I had it on. Not that I'm bucking for the "support me" angle, I support those that have a harder, more dangerous job than I, and I want to show it.

Chapeski said:
I don't think I'd be deserving of the "Vet" plate, however I would feel comfortable with a "Legion" plate, as I am in fact a member. If I ever go overseas, then my thought on the "Vet" plate would change.

As for the ribbon, I had one on the car before I even left the lot. The sales girl had a chuckle when I wouldn't leave the lot until I had it on. Not that I'm bucking for the "support me" angle, I support those that have a harder, more dangerous job than I, and I want to show it.

Ive been on a few tours,all combat arms.And I will not get a vet plate till I retire.But again as I said thats just me.Some people have a different outlook on what a vet is.I say leave it for the old lads.

X-mo-1979 said:
Ive been on a few tours,all combat arms.And I will not get a vet plate till I retire.But again as I said thats just me.Some people have a different outlook on what a vet is.I say leave it for the old lads.

Agree 100%.  I have 20 years in coming up this July, Reg and Res, but have never served on a mission overseas.  My "rack" consists of the good 'ol CD.  I would, personally, not consider putting a Vet plate on my car.  I worked with a Sgt at one of the CBG HQs who also only had a CD and hadn't even been out of Canada before who had a NS Veterans plate on her car, and I asked her once "don't you think that plate is a bit of a stretch?"

Her reply?

"No, I get my clasp in 5 years".

*sigh*

While I understand those who may choose not to get a veteran's plate, the provinces each set the requirements to obtain one of those plates, and should someone meet those requirements, I see no reason why they should be looked down upon for availing themselves of the opportunity. Just because someone hasn't been deployed out of Canada, doesn't mean that their contribution was necessarily lesser. Operations overseas don't happen without support from home.

My father served 30 years in the CF (AD Tech).  He never went overseas (just to Great Falls, Montana on a NORAD exchange) and he has a veteran's plate.  If Cpl "Bloggins" who is only 20 wants to get one, that's his prerogative.  I, too, will not get one until I retire.

In Ontario you need to send your proof of service to the Legion Command for written permission, which you then take to the Ministry.  So I suppose that if the Legion had an issue with a "20-something" having a Vet plate, then they wouldn't let them get one would they?  Seems to me they are sort of authorities on this sort of stuff.

Keep skirting the troll line, Dolphin Hunter.  Someone will bite eventually. 

Eligibility Criteria for Ontario Veteran Plate

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/veteran.pdf

Application for a Veterans' Licence Plate in AB

http://www.ama.ab.ca/images/images_pdf/Veterans_Application_Form_0208.pdf

They are different for each province.  We had them in ON, can't get them here in AB as hubby is still a serving member.

Age doesn't really enter into who is eligible, as long as you meet the requirements and the Legion says it okay.

PMedMoe said:
My father served 30 years in the CF (AD Tech).  He never went overseas (just to Great Falls, Montana on a NORAD exchange) and he has a veteran's plate.  If Cpl "Bloggins" who is only 20 wants to get one, that's his prerogative.  I, too, will not get one until I retire.

I agree.
In no way was I saying that a member needed to serve overseas to be a Veteran.In my eyes I just believe in leaving it for the retired guys.I don't think anyone still serving should use one.But again it comes down to personal preference.No matter what my background I will not get one till retirement.

Teflon said:
You said you didn't see how purchacing a magnet helped, well I pointed out a way it nd as to your consideration of "support our Troops" items as "crap", to each their own, your idea of "crap" is my idea of a nice sentament

I'm assuming he's talking about the countless knock-off ribbons, some intentionally meant to look like the ribbons sold by CFPSA, some which look nothing like the CFPSA ribbons...

There's lots of third parties selling "real" support our troops merchandise (The only one I can think of off hand was irving, not sure if they still are), and the money still goes to CFPSA, but there's also plenty of people looking to make a buck off it, and plenty of people who buy the "knock-off" ribbons not realising the difference.

I'm not going to completely discount the idea of getting one while still serving. Mainly due to one XO's story of never having gotten a parking ticket since he got his veteran's plates.

Mind you, this was of course in Halifax, where the fast majority of parking tickets are given out by Commissionaires.

But any way, I'm still going to abide by the rule of "if the province sets the requirements, and someone meets them, well then good on them."

If you have a problem with someone, still currently serving, who you feel hasn't served "enough" to warrant veterans plates, you need to take it up with the provincial government, not the person in question.

I'd get em, but I'm not sure where to get a hold of them. Last place I saw them was at the War museum in ottawa which is a really amazing place in my opinion. anyone have links?

Cluett,

You can order them online from the CANEX support our troops link:
https://www3.cfpsa.com/wyn2/en/sot/shopList.aspx?Lang=en&Site=sot&DepartmentID=6&CategoryID=23&CartID=d92882cb-ae82-4e9d-81a6-e85a88e5a924

Or you can just go to your local CANEX, assuming you have one, no point paying $2.50 shipping and handling for a $1.99 item.

We have support paraphernalia on both vehicles (window clings on both, and a license plate frame on my car).  I don't see it as being hypocritical at all as there are far more service members than just my husband and soon myself.  Why shouldn't we show our support for them?

The stand in front stickers/ magnets are cheesy and inappropriate. It's akin to saying that we condone using a human shield. 

As for the faux support magnets and accessories, well, I appreciate the sentiment but those items do nothing really to provide support in the way the original ribbons and accessories were meant to.  Really, if you're going to spend the money anyway, go to the Canadian Tire (they sell the Canex ones there) and pick one up instead of going to the bloody dollar store. 
My  :2c:

Back