• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wrist Watch Recommendations - Merged Thread

I just measured, 9" around the wrist. Same as Hulk Hogan. No, I'm not even close to the big show, however if you look up the stats on Rhyno (the man beast) that would describe me.  ;D.

Just remember to take off the feild watch when going to the bars. Un tuck the T-shirt, and for gods sake man take off your dogtags.
Is that a CF belt you are wearing?
Are you wearing your wallet on a string around your neck?

"nice shirt..... Recce PL..... is that like the peanut butter cup?"

Ladies if you see these fashon faux pas pleas stop them before they go out, or laugh hysterically at the bar.

I've been wondering about watches too.  The question I have is: Which watch doesn't have a casing that breaks?
I've had several watches with great features and ingiglo and what not, but the weak point is where the casing meets the pin.  I've told people "I have a great watch, except I cannot wear the bloody thing" ( so it is a small clock and no watch.) :(
I've not worn a watch for several years for this very reason.  Any suggestions for tough casing?

Remember, you get what ya pay for. Go to Ebay and search for 'Traser P6500'. Thats what I have for my daily watch. Shop around and you'll get a good deal. They retail here for around $380AUD, and I got mine for $285AUD. 

Casio makes a great watch called the Pathfinder. I wore one for years and years in the infantry. It has all sorts of functions. I still wear everyday and bought about it 8 years ago and its going strong. But if you want a basic field watch that just tells the time, the Navy Seal watch (you gotta look past the name) has tritium in it and works great too.

Something simple...you need to be able to turn the alarm and sounds off. Also, make sure it has indigo and it's not expensive so you won't be mad when it gets lost or damaged. A nice feature is a stopwatch to time yourself on PT.

water resistant, decent warranty (you will most likely kick the crap out of it in the field), easy to adjust the minutes (for "time checks") night light, good strap (not like the new velcro ones for the field), and 24 hr ability.

I have a Timex Expedition from CANEX on sale for about 50 smacks, does the trick for me. 

Mud Recce Man said:
water resistant, decent warranty (you will most likely kick the crap out of it in the field), easy to adjust the minutes (for "time checks") night light, good strap (not like the new velcro ones for the field), and 24 hr ability.

I have a Timex Expedition from CANEX on sale for about 50 smacks, does the trick for me. 

BUT..... does it have a Garrote?

no??

Nor does it have the glass-shattering noise maker 007 had on his either...I checked  ;D

I have an Timex Ironman...have gone through one strap...the original...replaced it with a Velcro and it is still going strong...has to be 6 or 7 years old and I have never replaced the battery.

It has spent many hours on my arm...

HL

I like the Timex Expedition. It's reasonably durable, reasonably priced, and has all the features you'd need (within reason ;D).

IMHO don't waste your cash on anything super-fancy. You can buy a decent watch of a quality brand name for 50$ - 75$.

I had a Timex expedition,http://www.Timex.ca/en/jcatalogca/Detail?item=048148964631 and that was basically bombproof. Lasted me thru many an outdoor adventure and hairy spot. I had to change the band twice, once to put on a stupid covered tactical watchband, then again to remove a stupid tactical covered watchband. Then I took it off to wash up after work, turned around to use the facilities, and some rubby took off with it (I'm Part Time at the edm downtown greyhound).

Now I use of of these http://www.timex.ca/en/jcatalogca/Detail?item=753048217922. Its half digital half analog, all the features, has a ring to tell time elapsed whilst sleep knackered, and is generally a tough good watch. Strap might need replacing relatively soon, as I can see the Velcro wearing out, but I'm not too concerned about it.

OK people. Here is what you really want in a watch.

Something cheap and reliable that tells time reliably.
It should be easy to operate so you can synchronize them easily. Usually a watch with hands is best, and be sure its one you can loose or break without crying over the cost.

Do not buy the Velcro bands for them. They stink after a while, and become uncomfortable or bulky.
If you are not a NAVY SEAL/JTF/TRUCKER COMMANDO then you don' need a watch with all the bells and whistles designed by them for them.

Watches only need to tell time.

mover1 said:
Do not buy the Velcro bands for them. They stink after a while, and become uncomfortable or bulky.

I find that leather or the plastic/nylon straps stink as well. Metal's horrible if you're going to be going in the woods.

mover1 said:
If you are not a NAVY SEAL/JTF/TRUCKER COMMANDO then you don' need a watch with all the bells and whistles designed by them for them.
So true. Spend 20-30 bucks for a Timex with indiglo and you're set.

Usually a watch with hands is best

Why do you say that? A digital set in 24 hour time seems to me like the easiest to read. I guess you could potentially use an anologe watch as a makeshift compass, but a real compass is usefull enough that you'd want to have one anyways.

I'm going to throw in a pitch for Suunto (yep, the same company that makes our compasses) digitals.  I bought one a couple of years ago and haven't had one ounce of problems.  They're relatively expensive, but they're built like a tank (one piece stainless body, composite strap), you can change the battery with an ordinary screwdriver, it's easy to set, the backlight is easy to find and lasts for 10 seconds after releasing the buttion, and mine comes with a compass (that you can actually set the declination on), altimeter (very useful for navigation), and barometer.  Synchronizing watches is sh*t simple, and it comes with a variety of timers.

Some models are the size of a small TV and are a bit much for my taste, but I have a smaller version that works just fine.  Before all the groaning about Gucci watches starts:  I have used mine on operations and have made tremendous use of the compass a number of times.

I agree with Mover1 on one thing, though.  Buy a nice watch for wear with civvies, one that doesn't shout "army geek".

Teddy Ruxpin said:
I have used mine on operations and have made tremendous use of the compass a number of times.

Who says armoured guys don't get lost....  ;)

A good Timex has never steered me wrong!

Back