• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wrist Watch Recommendations - Merged Thread

Hi there,

I use a simple analog watch ( I quickly switched to this after basic when my colleagues' watch alarm went off during small party tasks...). The watch is a Hamilton Officer Auto. It's a little more pricey then some watches, but its been through a lot and doesn't run on batteries, so you'll always have the time. Good luck, it took me a while to end up with this watch.

Citizen Ecodrive Skyhawk-AT 600$+tx.  No battery, auto time synchronization.

forumdood007 said:
Damn, was I let down when after using my spanking new Luminox Men's EVO Navy Seal Watch twice, in a swimming pool only, it showed condensation on the inside of the crystal. I bought it online (mistake) and they tell me to send it to a Luminox service center in the US. ARGGGHHHH! I am a scuba diver and this watch is sold as a diving watch, sanctioned by the US Navy Seals and a host of others. It is rated for 200 Meters (660 feet).
Junk.....anybody able to recommend a great waterproof watch, suitable for the shitkicking we are likely to give it in the Forces? What are some good ones currently being used by our guys? (and where can we get them for a reasonable price)

The ones issued to SAR Techs are the Marathon GSAR or TSAR watches. They are dive watches that are extremely sturdy. Amazingly sturdy and go for about $600 each as well.  Hope this helps?

I Can not wear a watch. If it is digital...it dies. If Old School, it runs backwards after 36 to 48 hours....
Is something wrong with me? My Dad, his Dad, and my grandfather's Dad are the same way. along with my Fathers mom, her Dad, and her Great Grandfather. What's up with that?

Joe.

My sister and a few others that I have met are like that.  My sister got a watch recently that just wouldn't work, she took it into have it repaired and the repairman found absolutely nothing wrong with it, put it back together, and it worked fine for her.  It is the only watch that she got to work, and other than the repairman taking it apart and reassembling it, nothing was done to it, so we can't figure out what else it may be.  (I am not sure how long it worked for her.) 

It is your aura.  Seriously.  Some people have an electric/magnetic field that is stronger than most other people, that affects things like watches, hotel magnetic swipe card keys, credit cards, etc. 

On the bright side, you can proudly joke that you have a "magnetic personality".    ;D

Casio G-Shock GW9000A (3050) Mudman. 200m water resist, atomic time keeping (5 band), solar powered, 29 time zones.

Under US$100 on Amazon.com. $150 from Casio Canada, if they had them in stock.

It's funny, these Casio G-Shock watches, for around 100 bux are really quite amazing when you think about what they do. Lots of bang for the buck. I have seen some of these MTM Special Ops watches and alike for 2 grand that don't do nearly as much as the Casios. Can this be? Is it a case of "you get what you pay for"? I mean for 2 grand, I want the the watch to withstand my arm being run over by a tank!!! OK, maybe not my arm......

Timex expedition, $50. Got mine in 2005, and it's still ticking after a decent amount of abuse. Nothing too fancy about it, but I can always depend on it to show me the time.

http://www.timex.ca/EXPEDITION-Chrono-Alarm-Timer-SK77761-P263C166.aspx?l=e

I've had my Timex Expedition for the past 10 yrs and am only on my 2nd battery (2yrs old).  It has taken a lickin' and kept on tickin'
Good luck on your quest.

http://www.armitron.com/products.asp?product_id=10011&dept_id=10020

is the one i have only problem is it doesnt have dual time zones..

Quick, un-official, survey at break today showed 50% of us wearing Expeditions.  Must mean something.

My Expedition got caught once in a doorframe while moving heavy furniture and the cheap plastic around the glass cracked. Not sure if the water resistance was compromised there as well. Battery is failing slowly as well, only after four years of use. Numbers fade almost completely when I turn on the backlight. And only good for 100m depth (for the divers out there)
Took a kickin', kept on lickin', but like a 20-year old dog.

Hence migration to G-Shock. My jury is still out, but their reputation is based on the watches designed to take a serious beating.

Funny enough, I too have owned both the Casio and the Timex watches in question ...

I found the Casio slightly more bulky and expensive, but my main problem with BOTH watches was my ability to accidentally - but usually very quickly - destroy the plastic that surrounds and "protects" the face ....

Eventually, the faces get scratched enough that I have to replace the watch, but I've never had a problem with either brand when it comes to features, battery life, water-proofness or "core" damage-taking ability ... and crawling around spare parts and in freezers on a frigate in higher sea-states, MY watches have taken some heavy hits!

Otis

A few things I did forget to mention. There are at least three points of potential weakness in the Expedition watch over the Mudman model of G-Shock: the outer plastic frame (mine cracked and almost broke off as mentioned earlier, and it wasn't that much force applied); the glass is not recessed, prone to more scratches; and the two watch-wristband pins/rods are flimsy compared to the G-shock equivalent. It doesn't take much force to dislodge the Expedition watch from the wristband (esp if a velcro-style band is used) simply by pulling hard on the watch.

Just my $0.02

The St. Moritz Aeromax ti Field Watch is pretty solid and Canadian made.  Available @ MEC for under $300

BernDawg said:
Quick, un-official, survey at break today showed 50% of us wearing Expeditions.  Must mean something.

I know the St-Jean CANEX sells them, along with replacement parts, so they're likely bought by candidates wanting something decently durable without breaking the bank. I bought mine a year before I joined, but I can remember seeing the tell-tale Expedition-shape on the wrists of numerous candidates.

I use a green military timex that CP Gear used to sell years ago...... luminescent hands/markers, nylon strap and is water resistant.

4107.jpg

Well watches are a life blood of anyone on the line moving by foot sometimes just telling the time will not do; I recommend the Suunto Core or Vector I wear both of the these as my main watches. Giving me humidity along with elevation and temperature helps me collect data before any time at the sniper range.  Along with that I took wore the Suunto's through Iraq beat the hell out of the them, drowning in river water to just being smashed about. My back up watch in my kit is just a G Shock 'Mud Man' with a shoe goo'd compass attached to it.

Take care, MBP

Back