• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Writing the Retirement Message

Rheostatic

Reaction score
Is there a standard that applies to retirement messages, aside from message formatting? I've seen enough of them to know there's a pattern, but is it based on a standard or is that just how it's done?

While we're on the subject I'd love to hear about some opinions on what makes a great retirement message (and what to avoid).

Never understood the reasoning behind a retirement message in our day and age. If people care enough that they will read your retirement message, they likely already know you are getting out.  Or just send an email to those you care about. 

Different strokes for different folks.  I'm not having a message or DWAD etc when l leave.  I'm just going to go.

I do understand, however, that for some it's important and necessary.

The best messages are funny/sarcastic ones, and all of them pretty much went like this:

Member joined this date (some joke about how old s/he is, esp if in a unit with young folks).  Some stuff about interesting postings/deployments and then what the retirement plan is. 

I understand why most people wouldn't care, but usually there's something to the effect of "if you want to send anecdotes to be read on the DWD, send to the contact person". 

Dimsum said:
The best messages are funny/sarcastic ones, and all of them pretty much went like this:

Member joined this date (some joke about how old s/he is, esp if in a unit with young folks).  Some stuff about interesting postings/deployments and then what the retirement plan is. 

I understand why most people wouldn't care, but usually there's something to the effect of "if you want to send anecdotes to be read on the DWD, send to the contact person".

I can't speak for other spots but here in Ottawa, they censor the message and rewrite what they don't like.  Which is another reason some folks don't bother.

Agreed, the best ones are the funny/sarcastic ones.  Some authors have talent.

Rheostatic said:
Is there a standard that applies to retirement messages, aside from message formatting? I've seen enough of them to know there's a pattern, but is it based on a standard or is that just how it's done?

While we're on the subject I'd love to hear about some opinions on what makes a great retirement message (and what to avoid).

The RCEME Corps actually has a Communique on the standard for retirement messages, not sure if other orgs do the same.

Jon

Rheostatic said:

These examples may, or may not, help,
https://army.ca/forums/threads/110732/post-1232548.html#msg1232548
https://army.ca/forums/threads/122035/post-1417080.html#msg1417080

Apparently everyone who ever retires has "completed X years of loyal and dedicated service."  One of the best messages I ever saw was one that started, "after 25 years of mostly mediocre and non-descript service,..."

I think it's ridiculous when I see that Cpl or Lt Bloggins is "retiring" after five years of loyal and dedicated service.  There is a difference between retiring and simply releasing.  This doesn't mean that we should recognize all people getting out, but I think the scale by which we do that should be based on the years of service (e.g. at least 25 years of service before getting a "retirement" message).

Pusser said:
Apparently everyone who ever retires has "completed X years of loyal and dedicated service."  One of the best messages I ever saw was one that started, "after 25 years of mostly mediocre and non-descript service,..."

I think it's ridiculous when I see that Cpl or Lt Bloggins is "retiring" after five years of loyal and dedicated service.  There is a difference between retiring and simply releasing.  This doesn't mean that we should recognize all people getting out, but I think the scale by which we do that should be based on the years of service (e.g. at least 25 years of service before getting a "retirement" message).

My counter offer would be: a completion of service at which an immediate annuity is earned and issued.

Back