• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WW1 - 46th Bn., Canadian Infantry (Saskatchewan Regt.)

D

Doug Eastman

My wife‘s great-uncle, William Robert HENDRY (1892-1917) died at Vimy Ridge, France, 5th May 1917. I realize that is about 3 weeks after the main battle of 9th-14th April, 1917. We would like to know about the 46th Bn., Canadian Infantry (Saskatchewan Regt.) role at Vimy and of course the circumstances of his death. Can anyone help? Family records are non-existent and no one alive recalls the circumstances.

We‘d like to know about the 46th Bn., Canadian Infantry (Saskatchewan Regt.) i.e.
When the Unit formed, the general background of the Units history, when / where they trained, date of departure, ships name, service overseas and the ship names, ports, and date when returned and demobbed, etc.

I recently wrote to the Canada National Archives for his Attestation Papers and Enlistment Form, hoping that it will tell us a bit more on his service. I am willing to share with anyone interested.

Thanks for any response, all assistance appreciated.

46th Infantry Battalion

Authority: General Order 86, 1 July 1915

Recruiting Area: Saskatchewan
Mobilization HQ: Moose Jaw

Service:

Canada: 1 Feb 1915 to 23 Oct 1915
England: 30 Oct 1915 to 10 Aug 1916
France: 11 Aug 1916 to 26 Apr 1916
Canada: Returned aboard “Empress of Britain” 28 May 1919

Officers Commanding:

Lieutenant Colonel H. Snell; 22 Oct 1915 to 29 Aug 1916
Lieutenant Colonel H.J. Dawson, C.M.G., D.S.O.; 29 Aug 1916 to Demobilization

Victoria Cross Awards:

Sergeant Hugh Cairns, DCM, on 1 Nov 1918 - VC won by Sergt. Hugh Cairns, 46th Infantry Battalion, CEF, at Valenciennes (awarded posthumously). When a machine-gun opened fire on his platoon, Sergeant Cairns seized a Lewis gun and single-handed, in the face of direct fire, rushed the post, killed the crew of five and captured the gun. Later, after killing 12 of the enemy and capturing 18 and two guns, he went with a small party and, although wounded, outflanked more field and machine-guns, killing many and capturing all the guns. After consolidation he went with a battle patrol to exploit Marly and forced 60 to surrender, but was severely wounded. He later collapsed and died next day.

Battle Honours and effective dates of actions:

SOMME 1916 – 1 July to 18 Nov 1916
Ancre Heights – 1 Oct to 11 Nov 1916
Ancre, 1916 – 13 to 18 Nov 1916
Arras, 1917, 1918 – 9 Apr to 4 May 1917; 26 Aug to 3 Sep 1918
VIMY, 1917 – 9 to 14 Apr 1917
HILL 70 – 15 to 25 Aug 1917
YPRES, 1917 – 31 July to 10 Nov 1917
PASSCHENDAELE – 12 Oct, 26 Oct to 10 Nov 1917
AMIENS – 8 to 11 Aug 1918
Scarpe, 1918 – 26 to 30 Aug 1918
DROCOURT-QUEANT – 2 to 3 Sep 1918
HINDENBURG LINE – 12 Sep to 9 Oct 1918
CANAL DU NORD – 27 Sep to 1 Oct 1918
VALENCIENNES – 1 to 2 Nov 1918
FRANCE and FLANDERS, 1916-18

Capitalized Battle Honour names are those authorized to be emblazoned on the Regimental Colour. The list of Battle Honours is not an exclusive list of every action in which the regiment took part, only those considered important enough to the regiment to have been sought for authorization as their Battle Honours.

Perpetuation of CEF unit

The 46th Infantry Battalion, CEF, is perpetuated by the Saskatchewan Dragoons.

See also Pierre Berton‘s "Vimy" for passages on the 46th Battalion.

Sources:

John F Meek, “Over the Top!; The Canadian Infantry in the First World war”, 1971

“The Regiments and Corps of the Canadian Army,” Prepared by the Army Historical Section, 1964

Battle Honour Dates:

(1) “Conditions for Award of Battle Honours for the Great War 1914-1919”, General Orders, 1 Feb 1928

(2) “33-1 Battle Honours – The Second World war”, Part “A”, Supplement to Canadian Army Orders, 10 Sep 1956

Mike

The Regimental Rogue
http://regimentalrogue.tripod.com
2001 canadian Military History Calendar

I am the grandson of Gordon Rae MacKay Private 46th Canadian Infantry Battalion, he was wounded at Hill 70 in June 1917, although he never really was fully mobile after the schrapnel damage, he lived until the summer of 1970. He was still picking little pieces of the stuff out of him decades after the shell landed and blew he and his buddies to hell :salute:. He was the sole survivor of his platoon, on that fateful day in June.

He wrote home 70 times, all of which are posted on the web. Do a Google search on his full name, and you can get an understanding of what was on his mind. The letters become much shorter as he gets into combat. He may have known your relative and referred to him in a letter? :salute:

If memory serves me correctly, there is a book call 'The Suicide Battalion' which is all about the 46th. In the Moose Jaw Armouries (built pre 1914), they have some display cases which house many WWI (46th and other locally rasied units) and WWII artifacts, and some WWI captured weapons, which are located in the Unit's Armoury. The Sask D's seem to be more consious of their heritage with artifacts than any other Unit in Saskatchewan. Also out front is a vehicle park with soft skinned and armoured vehicles from WWII to the 1980's. Very well done.

Also see if you can contact MAJ C. Kieth Inches (Retd) of the Saskatchewan Military Museum located in the Regina Armouries. I have known him for almost 30yrs. He is curator, has a vast amount of local knowledge, and may have more information you want/need/desire.

Cheers,

Wes

EDIT:

PS I just had a squizz at Gordon's letters. Truly a treasure and thanks for puttting them up on the net for all to see.

Ah! another convert to the history of the CEF!  ;)

Go to this link http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02015202_e.html

Type in 46th Canadian

And the War Diary pops up - you can follow the action and where they went - if you have any questions email me at the BN HQ link here http://apollon_2.tripod.com/

Look at the bottom of the page where it says email BN HQ

I`ve done 50-60 of these files so its coming into pretty clear focus

I am the grandson of Pvt Gordon Rae MacKay 46th Canadian Infantry Battalion, wounded in action on or about June 3-4th 1917. I have over 70 of his letters home (all of which are published on the web - google his full name to review these). I have been trying to determine where he was "specifically" when he was shelled. It appears that he was already in hospital June 5, so just prior to the 3rd battle of Ypres. If anyone knows where the 46th Battalion was in early June 1917 I would appreciate it.

Thanks 

:salute:

Thank you so much for directing me to the Archives. ;D I have since reviewed the entire War Diary for 46th Batt. for the months of May and June 1917 and discovered that my Grand Dad was at Lens  :soldier: on the east end of Vimy Ridge in the Quarries region when he was wounded. While there is no specific mention of his name in the diaries as one of the wounded I have no doubt as to where they were, and the subsequent June 5th 1917 letter from the chaplain indicating he'd been wounded.

I was particularly amazed at how much detail there is in a war diary...a well documented killing machine. :skull:

IJM

Bonjour from France
I am trying to get in touch with relatives of Sergeant Hugh Cairns V.C. (born December 4th, 1896 in Ashington, Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, enlisted on August 2nd, 1915, with the 65th Battalion, Saskatchewan Regiment). Sgt H. Cairns died on November 2nd, 1918 in Valenciennes, France.

I live in Valenciennes and work at the Mont Houy university campus, Mont Houy being a place just outside Valenciennes which the Canadian troops - 46th Battalion - crossed when they liberated Valenciennes on November 1st, 1918. The exact spot where the Canadian troops entered the city is now called Canada Square ("Place du Canada"). A commemorative plate has been set on the front of one of the houses on the avenue that bears the name of Sgt H. Cairns.
I would be grateful to you for enabling me to get in touch with one of the sergeant's (great-)nephews or relatives, or persons searching about same subject.
I'm interested too by an other episode at La Coulotte, June 3rd 1917, near Lens, and circumstances ad the dead of Hugh's brother (Albert, september 10th 1918)
Best Regards
Alain

My name is Ken Stewart and my Great Uncle William C. Fyfe with the 46th Bn, he arrived in France August 11, 1916 and when directly to the Ypres sector.  He fought and survived  all of the 46th battles until  Valenciennes where he was killed November 1, 1918.

My question is how do I find out more about my uncle, I have read the war diaries on the federal website but I would like to find out more about him like which company he was in. Are these records with the regiment?

Identifying the Company a man served with in the First World War is a challenge.  Battalion records are seldom found that give that information, and even when found, offer only a snapshot in time. Men moved between companies and while they may identified as belonging to one company in any particular document, it does not infer he spent the war with that company.

Have you acquired his service record to see if there is any mention in those documents?

Guidance on ordering the service record (along with other information) can be found here: Researching Canadian Soldiers of the First World War

Has anyone transcribed the war diaries of the 46th Battalion, South Saskatchewan.  I am working on a history of two of my great uncles WWI experience both in the 46th and would like to include some of the descriptions in the diaries so it would save me time if someone has already transcribed them.  Also if anyone has any information on Alexander Ernest Sample Military Service Number 472814 and Chester Elmer Sample Military Service Number 474334 I would appreciate being contacted.  Alexander Ernest Sample was born on April 19, 1888 in Flesherton, Grey County, Ontario and moved west to Alberta.  Chester was born on Jan 26, 1897 in Springbank Alberta and the family moved on to Battleford, Saskatchewan in 1902.  Alexander was a tinsmith by trade and joined the Saskatchewan Regiment 46th Battalion on Dec. 13, 1915 in Saskatoon.  Chester joined on April 13, 1916.  The war diaries report Alexander wounded on Nov 3, 1916 which is also the date of his death so he must have succumbed to wounds almost immediately.  Chester said that his brother was hit by a shell and that he helped load him onto the Red Cross wagon before returning to the lines, where he promptly passed out.  A few days later Ches was gassed and was unconscious with shock.  He lost the power of speech and eventually was taken to hospital in Birmingham where he spent 9 months in recovery.  He told about being immersed in a bathtub and given electric shock treatment as part of the recovery process, eventually regaining his speech but not his sense of taste or smell.  If anyone can add to this information, I would appreciate it.

Back