• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WWII or cold war company level defensive doctrine?

rz350

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone have links to to a site with wwII or cold war company level defensive field manual. Western or Eastern bloc, doesn't matter. Just needs to be in English. Also, Battalion and Brigade level as well, if its around.

reason? Its silly, but I play some games and game mods that focus on realism and that era, and wouldn't mind learning the real life theory behind that stuff.

So if anyone has it, much appreciation.

I have some open source stuff, but I'm not sure if it's available on the net.  If you play the Assault series by GDW, it has an excellent synopsis of Warsaw Pact doctrine (mostly offensive) from circa 1985.

I'll have a look.

I'm using it for mods of popular computer games. (Basic arcady RTS's like CnC series, Company of Hero's and even starcraft ...starcraft for E.g. Just change the unit stats and ignore the sci-fi graphics) I'll check someof the tabletop stuff too. I already ended up learning basic WWII squad and platoon level to help my self out with Red Orchestra (its an FPS based on realism for eastern front WWII)

But much thanks for having a look for me. :)

From my experience with FPS games, "cold war" tactics won't help much if you get into the indepth planning and stuff.  For example, in "Red Army" defensives, the front for a battalion is 3 to 5 km wide and some 2 to 4 km deep.  But battalions never go defensive by themselves.  There is a lot to it, but it is very interesting stuff, and as I said, if I find stuff, I'll fire it this way (or point you to it)

Well for FPS. Its more the reactionary squad/section defensive. Just for example holding onto a house against another section sized unit. Where to put my two Degtyaryov 28 MGs? (or my one MG42) Where to put riflemen? Where to put the storm troopers/assault troops with the MP-40 or PPSH? that small unit/Infantry Minor Tactics stuff.

For RTS, its pretty much company sized and not bigger. 200 or so units is pretty much the limit in an RTS.

Have a look at this site.  http://www.lonesentry.com/index.html  It may not have have a link to a manual for "company in the defense" but some of the WWII era int/info products they reproduce may be of interest or assistance.

BA, thanks for the link. It has some good info.

Blackadder.
Wow. What an excellent find.  Thank you!

And a final batch!

Military Intelligence Service Information Bulletin No. 15, The German Rifle Company:  pdf 19.0MB  US Army reprint of “Die Schutzenkompanie” (in German)
SPECIAL NOTICE
1. The purpose of this bulletin is to facilitate and encourage the study of military German. To accomplish this end, instructions given German infantry companies, and typical German combat orders, are presented together with notes on the German language.

Military Intelligence Service Information Bulletin No. 18, The German Armored Division:  pdf 2.10MB
Foreword
This bulletin is a translation of a captured German training manual on The German Armored Division, which was published in December 1940. At that time the number of German armored divisions was being increased and their organization changed. Comments by German commanders in Libya as late as October 1941 indicate, however, that the principles expressed in this manual have proved satisfactory with little or no modification. The charts that follow have been added to the original German manuscript. They have been compiled from G-2 sources.

FM-E 101-10 Staff Officers Field Manual, Enemy Forces Organization, Technical and Logistical Data:  pdf 4.65MB

TM-E 30-451 Handbook on German Military Forces:  pdf 20.7MB

This site may also be of interest http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/General/site_map.htm

from the Introduction
So what is this site about?  I thought it best to start with what I know, and perhaps more importantly what interests me.  I’m not overly fascinated with Generalship.  There have been umpteen tomes written about Patton, Montgomery, Rommel and Eisenhower.  Your local bookstore and library can probably furnish you with a volume which describes in detail what breakfast Eisenhower enjoyed on D-Day, or what cigarettes Rommel preferred to smoke.  My interest lies in the men who served under such leaders.  Way under.  Right at the front actually: The Infantryman.

It has an extensive amount of info about the organization, equipment and (some) tactics of some of the nationalities that participated in WW2.

Use the search function at the link below for more articles.

Infantry in Battle circa 1939.
http://cgsc.leavenworth.army.mil/carl/resources/csi/iib_iji/iib_iji.asp

Also:
https://www.infantry.army.mil/monographs/content/wwii/STUP2/AdamsJonathan%20E.%20MAJ.pdf

re: the bayonet strenght link. I do disagree with him on one thing.

I think anti tank guns, mortars and machinegunners are as much part of the infantry as are riflemen. (I mean here in Canada, they are all the same MOSID!) They fought, killed and died at the front, regardless of having Mosin or a DP-28, or a Garand or 60mm. Machine guners where indeed attached at the squad/section level, meaning they are right up there with the rifle sect. So I think that article should recount them as being "bayonet strenght"

Also, ty for link t6

Back