• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Yet another pilot thread

d3boy2002 said:
Hahaha But I'm telling you, its true. Atleast, outside of the military anyways :p...

EDIT:
Okay I know that the problem has been solved but I just want to expand on my previous ideas before you guys send me to a mental hospital.
People who have played instruments before or for a long period of time would have showed perseverance, and if they won awards or achieved anything of the sort, they would be able to show that off in a resume. People that have played music have statistically been shown to do better in math (though that might just be marketing where I'm from) and by now you guys probably are still thinking "WTF" so I'll quit now ;).

Good day,
Benedict Park

You've convinced me!  As I am free today with not much to do, I am making my way over to the Pilot Pit to ask around. 

It could go something like this:

EITS: Hey sir, I was wondering, do you play the flute?

Pilot:  Who?  Oh, *sir*, you mean ME!  Ha ha ha.  Goddammit, can't you read?  My name is Roger!  You're a real card EITS!

EITS:  Ya I know.  Wait for my next joke...its about when you are getting a haircut!

Pilot:  Stop!  You're killing me here!  (laughing so hard it hurts)

EITS:  So seriously, I know you are a pilot so...fess up!  What is it?  Flute?  French horn? 

This HAS to be the most comical thing (that was meant seriously) I've seen in a long time.  My dad was aircrew (not a pilot, though) with 15,000+ hours (or it might have only been 10,000+ hours, can't remember) and he did well to get the stereo to work.  I'll have to buy him a violin or something for Christmas  :blotto:

Hmmm.  I'll stop now before I get "extras" from the Mods.

trev98 said:
Are there any people here directly involved in the air force or even better pilots in the air force

You've unknowingly been talking to many people who are of the light blue persuasion - just none of them want to outright tell you.

I am a CF Pilot and I like to call people by their first name. <There, I have admitted it.  Admission is the first step to recovery.>

Anyhow - about strengthening your application in 4 years time.  Join the Army Reserve while going to school.  Forget about ROTP, you are already in University, stick with it and apply for DEO when you have one year left to graduate.  Drink beer at school, don't smoke anything illicit, fraternize with women <or men, up to you>, study hard enough to get decent marks, learn how to throw grenades, take some flying lessons if you can afford it, grow a wicked goatee while in between Army training weekends, shoot guns while getting paid and have fun!

Anything else?

Zoomie said:
I am a CF Pilot and I like to call people by their first name. <There, I have admitted it.  Admission is the first step to recovery.>

THAT is my Friday Funny!  Merci!

*golf clap*

Zoomie's advice is very sound, the financial benefits are also significant when CTing to the Regular force since your pay rate must be higher or the same as your reserve pay - which means you'll be a 2LT IPC 3 or 4 vice 1.

The only instruments that count are the ones scattered seemingly randomly all over the flattish board stretched across in front of the seats in the little room at the pointy end of the aircraft, in which the pilots sit.

Hello, Zoomie. I, too, am a Pilot and like to call people by their first name.

Unless they are twits.

I recall reading on an American site, the responses of members of their various services to an order from a commissioned officer:

Army - Yes, Sir.

Navy - Aye Aye Sir.

Marines - Sir! Aye Aye Sir!

Air Force - What the hell for, Bob ?

Just a couple of things I don't agree with Zoomie over, First joining PRes then doing a CT when your finishied school does not allow the CF to pay the whole shot. RETP only gets you 2K a year. Second if you try to apply DEO when you finished school you will run into the same problem we are having now. No positions for DEO Pilot. The only way we are hiring anyone for Pilot is through ROTP. Last year was the same and there is no way we can tell about next year. So you can look at DEO when you finish school or you can look at ROTP while your in. Chances are if you still have more than 2 years of your degree left you will be looked at. No promises of course.

Bottom line is right now you stand a better chance of being a Pilot by going ROTP than you do DEO. Of course in 3-4 years that may change but for the past 2 years thats how it's been.

Canada's military peers into future, and it's scary.

Toronto Star

"As for the flying wing of the Canadian Forces, the future lies in the North and high in the skies.

With climate change, melting Arctic ice and the possibility of up to 80 per cent of the global transportation market moving through Canadian waterways, the air force plans to better protect Canadian territory, deter unfriendly visitors and rescue those in trouble in the unforgiving territory.

Dwindling global fuel stocks, and unstable oil prices, also make it more likely that the pilots of the future will have two feet on the ground, controlling surveillance and attack drones by remote control. It's unlikely the air force will ever purchase another fighter jet to replace its CF-18s, the report says. "In the future, smaller, cheaper and expendable unmanned combat aerial vehicles ... will have unsurpassable advantages over manned platforms in both performance and costs."

Edit:
The above quoted report is produced by "the Canadian Forces Aerospace Warfare Centre."

LINK

Baden  Guy said:
With climate change, melting Arctic ice and the possibility of up to 80 per cent of the global transportation market moving through Canadian waterways

Maybe. Maybe not.

Baden  Guy said:
Dwindling global fuel stocks, and unstable oil prices, also make it more likely that the pilots of the future will have two feet on the ground, controlling surveillance and attack drones by remote control.

If it's a drone, it's not remotely controlled, and if it's remotely controlled, it's not a drone. Lazy press.

Baden  Guy said:
It's unlikely the air force will ever purchase another fighter jet to replace its CF-18s, the report says. "In the future, smaller, cheaper and expendable unmanned combat aerial vehicles ... will have unsurpassable advantages over manned platforms in both performance and costs."

Way in the future, maybe. Not for a while.

I won't be buying any stocks in companies relying upon their "drone" division for profit any sooner than I'll be buying any stocks in companies relying upon their Arctic shipping division.

It varies according to need and the ability of the training system to train them.

Now, read as I suggested and post in an existing appropriate thread as much as possible, please. It keeps this place tidier and saves work for us poor, suffering mods.

And...punctuation, punctuation, punctuation.

Thanks.

FDO said:
As a recruiter I can tell you that right now unless you are already a skilled military pilot you are NOT getting in the CF as a pilot until April 2010. And even then we may not have any positions.

Although I realize this is true, I wish it weren't.  Particularly the last part.  I'm still hoping (perhaps against hope), that there will be DEO Pilot spots come next April, and that I will get one of them.

biggs said:
Although I realize this is true, I wish it weren't.  Particularly the last part.  I'm still hoping (perhaps against hope), that there will be DEO Pilot spots come next April, and that I will get one of them.

Given the significant training backlog, this is extremely unlikely.

The backlog isn't anything longer than it has been in the past.  I would argue that in some streams there really isn't any delay at all.  Ab-initio pilots that take the Phase 2 (Grob) route are being loaded on AFT days after finishing BFT.

That being said....

Fighter community and helos are still short pilots.  Multi-engine is full, and we still train 40 pilots a year.  Most multi pilots are getting short tours and may or may not upgrade on their platform.

Now I'm just confused.  :-\  I don't know whether to be encouraged or discouraged by all this.

The file manager I've dealt with here seemed quite optimistic about my chances for FY2010.  Now, I'm not so sure. 

I've been sitting through this for going on a year now, and know that I can fully expect to continue doing so for at least another six months.  That, I'm totally fine with. 

However, if next April comes and goes and I'm looking at waiting another whole year, that would seriously test my commitment to sticking it out.

Sorry for the necro post here, but I was wondering if the CF takes many CEOTP pilots? I am in the corporate world, at the moment, flying business jets, and previously flew turboprops up north. The only post secondary education I have is the flight training that I have received over the past 7 years.

Thanks in advance.

CEOTP is an entry method that is sporadic at best.  If the CFRCs cannot meet their DEO numbers - they may open that specific trade to CEOTP on a limited time.  It is definitely not an entry plan to be counted on.

Zoomie,

Just wondering if CEOTP - Internal is used as a last ditch effort to meet recruiting targets as well?  Or are there CEOTP - Internal spots allocated every year?

Thanks,

trev98 said:
I recently found out laser eye surgery is accepted its back.

If your looking at getting laser done like the other person on here said your going to want to stick with something like PRK..My boyfriend is in the pilot trade and thats what he had done.

Hope this helps

Back