• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

You Want To Be A Pilot : 2018 - present

CF_TOR

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Gentlemen, learned quite a bit from this Forum, awesome source of information.

I am a 45 year old candidate, just applied for Pilot (DEO), and would like to clarify a few issues with you, hope you can help.

Have you ever heard of older candidates pursuing a Pilot career? Is it too late? Around 20 years ago I received my Commercial IFR Multi-Engine licenses but never pursued a civilian career, my licenses are expired but I will bring a strong basic knowledge to start.

Last Friday I stopped by the Toronto recruiting center in North York and the recruiter informed me that it might take up to 5 years for a candidate to receive his/her wings from the start of application, is that correct??

My understanding, from this Forum and CAF's website, is that the total training would add up to approximately 21 months. Basic Training (15 weeks) plus the complete pilot training (around 17 months). Is it taking over two years to go through the whole application process?

My main option is to pursue a multi-engine (fixed wing) path, so how seriously do they take our first option? If I could pick only one option would be that (that's where my passion is), not too excited with rotary wing and I guess I am too old for jets anyway.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
 

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
108
Points
780
CF_TOR said:
Have you ever heard of older candidates pursuing a Pilot career? Is it too late?

Some of the threads in this search discuss,  "Am I too old to become a pilot?"
https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&ei=pU3qW4SnFamL5wLQ7K2IDQ&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22too+old%22+pilot&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22too+old%22+pilot&gs_l=psy-ab.3...23590.30561..32058...0.0..0.92.555.7......0....1..gws-wiz.twj78YsWcVo


CF_TOR said:
My main option is to pursue a multi-engine (fixed wing) path, so how seriously do they take our first option?

"Can you choose what kind of aircraft you'd like to be trained in/fly full time?"
http://army.ca/forums/threads/12744.990;wap2

"so you can choose which airplane you want?"

Uncertain about going either multi or helo 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/69059.0

How is a Pilots aircraft chosen?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/120167.0

Do you have a choice between fighter/helo/multi ??? 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/73253.0
2 pages.

Uncertain about going either multi or helo 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/69059.0/nowap.html
2 pages.

How is a Pilots aircraft chosen?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/120167.0

etc...

Ditch said:
There is also zero guarantee that you will get to fly the airframe of your choice (ie. Griffon, CF-18, Hercules).  It‘s all a matter of timing and your overall skill level.




 

Zoomie

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
8
Points
430
I can’t believe the time that has passed since I wrote that post...
 

CF_TOR

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Great, thank you.

To be honest the age issue is what concerns me the most... the dream to become a RCAF pilot is bigger than anything else.
 

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
108
Points
780
CF_TOR said:
Great, thank you.

You are welcome. Good luck. :)

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

 

Tennisball

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
My interviewer told me that I scored a bit above average on the CFAT and that will help me out on my application.

I emailed him to ask for details about my CFAT scores and he could only say that my application is "competitive" but couldn't tell me how good a chance I had against other applicants.

I did very well on ACS but he told me that ACS scores are only pass/fail and don't add to your competition list scoring.

Do I have a chance?
 

Spc_Cdt

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
60
CF_TOR said:
Last Friday I stopped by the Toronto recruiting center in North York and the recruiter informed me that it might take up to 5 years for a candidate to receive his/her wings from the start of application, is that correct??

Not a recruiter but I recently came back from aircrew selection, where the pilot giving the Realistic Job Preview presentation said "there's one very important thing that recruiters fail to mention: it can take 3-4 years to get your wings AND THEN you add the 7 years of mandatory service". So it's at least a 10 year commitment. By no means should that discourage anyone from applying, but it's just a reality check that they wanted to give us... cuz they don't want people quitting halfway. If you really want to be a pilot, then this doesn't matter. But for me, as an older applicant (36) that was humming and hawing between pilot and ACSO, it solidified my resolve for pursuing the latter.
 

CF_TOR

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Spc_Cdt said:
"there's one very important thing that recruiters fail to mention: it can take 3-4 years to get your wings AND THEN you add the 7 years of mandatory service". So it's at least a 10 year commitment.

Personally I have no problem with the 7-yr commitment, as long as I am flying and enjoying it.

My issue is the "3-yr" process until you get your wings.
 

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
117
Points
680
Two of those three years will be spent training.  Only 1 year of wait being paid 40k+ a year.  Not too bad.
 

CF_TOR

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
SupersonicMax said:
Two of those three years will be spent training.  Only 1 year of wait being paid 40k+ a year.  Not too bad.

Then, that's not that bad at all !!!!!!!
 

Spc_Cdt

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
60
Tennisball said:
My interviewer told me that I scored a bit above average on the CFAT and that will help me out on my application.

I emailed him to ask for details about my CFAT scores and he could only say that my application is "competitive" but couldn't tell me how good a chance I had against other applicants.

I did very well on ACS but he told me that ACS scores are only pass/fail and don't add to your competition list scoring.

Do I have a chance?

Dude, if you passed ACS then you have a chance cuz they're so desperately in need of pilots (and ACS is "the easiest part of getting your wings", as they say). Once you get on the competition list then you're pretty much golden... it's just a waiting game (and it's killing me lol).

They can't really tell you how competitive you are against other applicants because it's a relative scale. As the recruiter told me: "you can be #4 on the list and then someone gets hired, so you're at #3 -- but then someone gets on the list who's more competitive and you end up back at #4, and so forth and so on until you get an offer"

ACS was the big hurdle and you passed it. Congrats!
 

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
117
Points
680
Spc_Cdt said:
Dude, if you passed ACS then you have a chance cuz they're so desperately in need of pilots (and ACS is "the easiest part of getting your wings", as they say). Once you get on the competition list then you're pretty much golden... it's just a waiting game (and it's killing me lol).

They can't really tell you how competitive you are against other applicants because it's a relative scale. As the recruiter told me: "you can be #4 on the list and then someone gets hired, so you're at #3 -- but then someone gets on the list who's more competitive and you end up back at #4, and so forth and so on until you get an offer"

ACS was the big hurdle and you passed it. Congrats!

We are not short of new pilots, we arw short of experienced pilot.  Recruiting more will not help the experiencd piece.
 

Dailyrcaf123

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Spc_Cdt said:
Dude, if you passed ACS then you have a chance cuz they're so desperately in need of pilots (and ACS is "the easiest part of getting your wings", as they say). Once you get on the competition list then you're pretty much golden... it's just a waiting game (and it's killing me lol).

There is absolutely no guarantee that you get an offer just because you made it on the competition list. Many people pass ACS, and not many spots are available for pilot. When I got on the comp list, the recruiter told me that I was competitive and should be getting an offer. That was one year ago... and still no offer.
 

Spc_Cdt

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
60
Dailyrcaf123 said:
There is absolutely no guarantee that you get an offer just because you made it on the competition list.

I'm just going with what the recruiter told me. He said if I made the list then I can expect an offer. It might take years, and they'll ask if I want to stay on the list, but one will come -- as long as the position is open.
 

CF_TOR

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi everyone... What exactly is a Target Interview (TI) and the difference from a regular interview?

THANK YOU !!!
 
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could speak on quality of life differences between the Pilot and ACSO occupations. Would you say the two experience similar working conditions throughout their respective careers, or are there some tangible differences?

Thank you

 

Swaggarius

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello everyone, I have a couple of questions regarding the pilot occupation.
I'm graduating in a couple of months from McGill University with a Bachelors of Science.
I was looking to apply to be a pilot at the CAF and was wondering how hard it is to get in (there is a shortage I heard) and
how long is the process. I have been in the Infantry Reserves before for 2 years so I have already completed my BMQ and I don't think I have to redo it.
 

kratz

Army.ca Veteran
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
14
Points
530
FY 2019 / 2020 has 79 positions open for DEO.
As with all CAF trades, shortages do not necessarily mean positions can and will be filled.
Due to your reserve time, your old records will be pulled from archives by CFRG and a VFS
(verification of former service) will automatically be part of your application.
If you haven't completed PLQ before releasing from the reserve, you will complete part of BMOQ.
 

Swaggarius

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Can I begin my application before finishing university or do I have to wait till I get my diploma? I'm graduating in Fall 2019.
 
Top