• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New national chief commits to whistleblower policy after being accused of bullying and harassment

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like she might have picked up some tips from the previous GG :)

New national chief commits to whistleblower policy after being accused of bullying and harassment​

Just days after a report on allegations of bullying and harassment against Chief RoseAnne Archibald was leaked — and hours after she was elected the new national chief of the Assembly of First Nations — Archibald said today she would support the implementation of a whistleblower policy at the AFN.

"I have been the victim of workplace harassment and I know what that feels like," she told a morning press conference.

"For too long, organizations like AFN have allowed this kind of behaviour to continue and we need to change that and I'm committed to bringing that change."

An internal AFN report looking into allegations of harassment and bullying by Archibald was shared with CBC on Wednesday morning. The report offers no details of the allegations.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/roseanne-archibald-assembly-first-nations-1.6094688

OK I read the article. Is she being accused of harassment as well as being a victim of harassment?

OK I read the article. Is she being accused of harassment as well as being a victim of harassment?

I think she tried to play the 'pity card' when the accusations against her came to light, but can't be sure.

Confused Season 2 GIF by Rick and Morty

... An internal AFN report looking into allegations of harassment and bullying by Archibald was shared with CBC on Wednesday morning. The report offers no details of the allegations ...
A bit more back-story ....
  • December 2020: "The Assembly of First Nations agreed to conduct an investigative review of sexual orientation and gender-based discrimination within the organization, according to a resolution adopted by the chiefs-in-assembly ... Ontario Regional Chief RoseAnne Archibald told virtually-gathered leaders that the AFN needs nothing less than a full investigation to reckon with the issue, suggesting a #MeToo moment could be on the horizon. “This is not about political games. This is about transforming this organization and making it safe for women ..."
  • February 2021: "“The AFN Executive Committee, comprised of Regional Chiefs, voted unanimously to proceed with a full investigation into allegations of harassment and bullying made by multiple AFN employees against a Regional Chief,” said Bellegarde in a statement. “An independent external investigator will be retained for this purpose.” ..."
  • 19 Feb 2021: "... I was first alerted to harassment allegations against me when National Chief Bellegarde and his legal counsel Mr. Mantas called me, without notice, on Friday February 5, 2021. I immediately raised that the timing of these harassment allegations appeared to be reprisal in response to a confidential Chiefs of Ontario resolution, passed just the previous day on February 4, 2021. The Chiefs of Ontario resolution seeks an independent financial review of the Assembly of First Nations. I have become a target of the National Chief and the Assembly of First Nations Secretariat because I have documents that show financial improprieties within the Assembly of First Nations ...."
  • July 2021: Leak of report as AFN National Chief balloting moves into the third round (my understanding: winner needs 60% + 1)
🍿

A bit more back-story ....
  • December 2020: "The Assembly of First Nations agreed to conduct an investigative review of sexual orientation and gender-based discrimination within the organization, according to a resolution adopted by the chiefs-in-assembly ... Ontario Regional Chief RoseAnne Archibald told virtually-gathered leaders that the AFN needs nothing less than a full investigation to reckon with the issue, suggesting a #MeToo moment could be on the horizon. “This is not about political games. This is about transforming this organization and making it safe for women ..."
  • February 2021: "“The AFN Executive Committee, comprised of Regional Chiefs, voted unanimously to proceed with a full investigation into allegations of harassment and bullying made by multiple AFN employees against a Regional Chief,” said Bellegarde in a statement. “An independent external investigator will be retained for this purpose.” ..."
  • 19 Feb 2021: "... I was first alerted to harassment allegations against me when National Chief Bellegarde and his legal counsel Mr. Mantas called me, without notice, on Friday February 5, 2021. I immediately raised that the timing of these harassment allegations appeared to be reprisal in response to a confidential Chiefs of Ontario resolution, passed just the previous day on February 4, 2021. The Chiefs of Ontario resolution seeks an independent financial review of the Assembly of First Nations. I have become a target of the National Chief and the Assembly of First Nations Secretariat because I have documents that show financial improprieties within the Assembly of First Nations ...."
  • July 2021: Leak of report as AFN National Chief balloting moves into the third round (my understanding: winner needs 60% + 1)
🍿
I'd facepalm this if I knew where to find the emoji.

SO you're telling me our FN aren't the harmonious collection of 630 separate entities?

... SO you're telling me our FN aren't the harmonious collection of 630 separate entities?
How much consensus do you think we'd see in the House of Commons if there wasn't party discipline? Discuss ... :D

Also, someone far more cynical than me might ask: wonder where they learned it from? 😉

How much consensus do you think we'd see in the House of Commons if there wasn't party discipline? Discuss ... :D

Also, someone far more cynical than me might ask: wonder where they learned it from? 😉
They had disharmony down to a Science pre-contact. The Peace River is so named as it became a dividing line between warring tribes.

Chief Archibald does not specify the exact form such reparations should take. That is what I would like to know, what does she think Canada and the Government should do.

They had disharmony down to a Science pre-contact. The Peace River is so named as it became a dividing line between warring tribes.
Conflict between groups isn't new, for SURE. I was referring to the tools/tactics in play here.
Chief Archibald does not specify the exact form such reparations should take. That is what I would like to know, what does she think Canada and the Government should do.
Reporter didn't ask, and I can't read minds, but it appears to refer to a report issued not too long ago by Patrick Brazeau (Senator, Team Blue appointee from a First Nation in Quebec). Longish, dense read, with the word "reparations" not appearing at all in the report itself, but interesting view of governments of all colours not living up to whatever promises they've made on this file. In an article on the report, he's quoted saying this:
... Given the discovery of unmarked graves of residential-school children in the last month, Brazeau said reconciliation is important, but Indigenous people need more.

“The government crafts its narrative around reconciliation, and ‘Let’s move forward,’ but they forget reparation, and you need that to move on. I have had my fair share of mental-health struggles and suicide. There has to be a process of reparation. When you’ve had a bad experience, you can’t just turn the page and move on.” ...
He mentions "reparations" in his Twitter feed some, but no details.

While some might consider the Residential School payments "reparations", in May of this year, one Indigenous think tank based out of Ryerson published a report suggesting a range of options:
... These forms of reparations run the gamut of strategies: they involve direct infusions of cash, from the redistribution of a wealth tax to printing money, from the Spirit Bear Plan to treaty-based funding. They involve new forms of Indigenous economic rights, from Indigenous accounting to the economic leverage of Aboriginal title to human rights approaches like Jordan’s Principle. And they involve deep structural change, from an Indigenous-led transition to energy sustainability to police abolition and new oversight mechanisms controlled by Indigenous nations ...
#DevilIsInTheDetails

Last edited:
Back