• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New MND - Anita Anand

I think this Poll speaks a lot.

Is the west demoralized?

No, the West is pampered.

Hard times make strong men
Strong men make soft times
Soft times make soft men
Soft men make hard times

We're in the latter half of that butchered quote

Soft times make soft men
Soft men make hard times

I think boils down to people being more informed and likely not willing to throw away their lives for things they don’t believe in. Note that muslim countries are more likely to want to fight fir their countries. Probably because they’ve faced more existential crises but also they fight based on faith rather than anything else. People is the west are less likely to want to fight based on religious grounds. Fanaticism has a way of motivating people. And many western countries don’t really face existential conflicts like they used to.

The First World War was a waste of time and lives. At the time is was “King and Country” but really was the last remnants of European Stratego being played out again using better tech and plenty of young lives. Looking back, how many would fight for that cause now?

Soft times make soft men
Soft men make hard times

Which exactly how western society was leading unto WWII, given current Geopolitical situations across the globe, the drums of war are beating softly for now

Which exactly how western society was leading unto WWII, given current Geopolitical situations across the globe, the drums of war are beating softly for now
I read a book which went into a great detail why Hitler attacked France. France post WW1 went pacifist ideology in the political and education institutions. He just gambled that France were most likely not put a whole amount of resistance.

I think boils down to people being more informed and likely not willing to throw away their lives for things they don’t believe in. Note that muslim countries are more likely to want to fight fir their countries. Probably because they’ve faced more existential crises but also they fight based on faith rather than anything else. People is the west are less likely to want to fight based on religious grounds. Fanaticism has a way of motivating people. And many western countries don’t really face existential conflicts like they used to.

The First World War was a waste of time and lives. At the time is was “King and Country” but really was the last remnants of European Stratego being played out again using better tech and plenty of young lives. Looking back, how many would fight for that cause now?
Probably the same amount.
No one joins the Army expecting to die - and frankly what passes for "informed" these days is pretty questionable.

Probably the same amount.
No one joins the Army expecting to die - and frankly what passes for "informed" these days is pretty questionable.
If some arch duke got assassinated and a bunch of small kingdoms decided to fight dragging in their allies over old conflicts I doubt that 10% of our population would mobilize for war fighting like they did in WW1. It would be a different situation if our country was directly attacked. But outside of that I doubt we would see those sorts of numbers for other people’s fights.

Informed may not be the right term but we have the most “educated”population (western as a whole) in the history of the world. And most won’t fall for king and country crap again or whatever political cause of the day is. There will always be a small portion that will adopt the profession of arms as their calling but getting our population to fight for their country would require an existential crisis.

If some arch duke got assassinated and a bunch of small kingdoms decided to fight dragging in their allies over old conflicts I doubt that 10% of our population would mobilize for war fighting like they did in WW1. It would be a different situation if our country was directly attacked. But outside of that I doubt we would see those sorts of numbers for other people’s fights.

Informed may not be the right term but we have the most “educated”population (western as a whole) in the history of the world. And most won’t fall for king and country crap again or whatever political cause of the day is. There will always be a small portion that will adopt the profession of arms as their calling but getting our population to fight for their country would require an existential crisis.
Reflect on this post if things go sideways over taiwan.

It may not be king and country but its definitely big powers dick swinging contest.

Reflect on this post if things go sideways over taiwan.

It may not be king and country but its definitely big powers dick swinging contest.
If we ever mobilize 3 million Canadians for that I’ll stand corrected. Russia invaded the Crimea and although there has been some mobilization, people aren’t knocking down the doors of CFRCs for that in great numbers.

If we ever mobilize 3 million Canadians for that I’ll stand corrected. Russia invaded the Crimea and although there has been some mobilization, people aren’t knocking down the doors of CFRCs for that in great numbers.
Nobody was going to fight WW3 over Crimea, especially since the Ukrainians didn't put up a fight.

If Taiwan is fighting to the death and the USA joins in, I see two things.

1) The average "soft" Western American citizen will still sign up

2) If countries like Canada join the fight, Canadians join up as well.

Nobody was going to fight WW3 over Crimea, especially since the Ukrainians didn't put up a fight.

If Taiwan is fighting to the death and the USA joins in, I see two things.

1) The average "soft" Western American citizen will still sign up

2) If countries like Canada join the fight, Canadians join up as well.
Your optimism is noted but I doubt it.

I think this Poll speaks a lot.

Is the west demoralized?

Just noting that the countries with conscription have some pretty low scores.

Interested GIF by reactionseditor

This 100%.

My parents were very disappointed in my joining th CAF. My actually asked why I was throwing my life away to become a drunken wife beater.

The irony was not lost on me as it was coming from a rank and file prison guard at the time. No offense intended.

Yes ironic indeed. I am now a Corrections Officer and came there from the CAF

In other news maybe the NHL and CAF could clean house at the same time.

Back