• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

Lowering emissions is good.

This will lower emissions.

Thus this is good.

It also so happens to be supported by 2 out of 3 Canadians.

All in all, good. I'm proud of Canadians.
I would personally like to see us invest in Nuclear Power in a big way. We already are the second largest producer of Uranium in the World and hold vast Reserves. Nuclear Power is by far the most efficient form of Power and we have a mature industry in this Country with a proven safety record.

IMO, any Green Energy initiative in this Country must consider Nuclear Energy given our competitive advantages in this market.

I would personally like to see us invest in Nuclear Power in a big way. We already are the second largest producer of Uranium in the World and hold vast Reserves. Nuclear Power is by far the most efficient form of Power and we have a mature industry in this Country with a proven safety record.

IMO, any Green Energy initiative in this Country must consider Nuclear Energy given our competitive advantages in this market.
Sure, it works for france, it would work here.

Nuclear, geothermal, hydroelectric, tidal, wind, solar, get them all online.

I'm not convinced by Nuclear yet, maybe see how Pickering, Darlington and Bruce work out. There's a lot of work to be done there, a lot of expensive work

I'm not convinced by Nuclear yet, maybe see how Pickering, Darlington and Bruce work out. There's a lot of work to be done there, a lot of expensive work
They have already refurbished a Nuclear Plant in NB. It cost approximately $2.5 Billion to refurbish Point Lepreau which is a 660MW Nuclear Reactor. A lot of mistakes were made during that refurb and it went about $1 Billion over budget but considering it was a first, a lot was learned and I have little doubt AECL will do a far better job the next time they have to refurb a CANDU.

Considering the initial cost of Lepreau was $1.4 Billion though, $2.5 billion seems pretty freaking good to keep a plant running for an additional 27 years which is more than double it's expected life cycle.

There is also the fact that Lepreau makes money for the Province, due to the cheap cost of Uranium vs other fuels and the fact that Nuclear Power provides near constant power supply. Lepreau is a small reactor but generates enough continuous electricity to power 300,000 homes with a near 90% efficiency.

Compare this to the Ontario Government's Green Energy Boondoggle:

Boondoggle: How Ontario's pursuit of renewable energy broke the province's electricity system

And you can see how the big numbers thrown around for Nuclear Refurbishment all of a sudden become a little more grounded in reality. The point being, Power Generation is an expensive business.

Ya, with current technology, the upfront and refurb costs scare off a lot of politicians, not to mention the waste disposal issue which has yet to be solved. Besides, environmental groups lose their collective minds at the mere mention of it.

Ya, with current technology, the upfront and refurb costs scare off a lot of politicians, not to mention the waste disposal issue which has yet to be solved. Besides, environmental groups lose their collective minds at the mere mention of it.
Yet they think nothing of pissing $100s of billions down the drain with unproven technologies.

One of the most consistent critics of the political takeover of the system has been the Ontario Society of Professional Engineers (OSPE). The society’s central message: “There does not appear to be any entity other than the ministry itself that has overall planning ownership of the electrical grid.”

Paul Acchione, an OSPE engineer with long experience in the electricity industry, said the government was “hiring political scientists and environmentalists because they thought they were the experts.” As a result, the government has issued more than 100 ministerial directives that ignored the dramatic decline in demand and the realities of managing an electrical grid where new expensive supply was mushrooming all over the province.

This is what happens when Politicians ignore actual experts and instead seek advice from experts in Basket Weaving and Kabuki Theatre.

Lets not pretend the waste disposal issues are bigger than they are though. The actual issues are really quite miniscule and are overinflated. Case in point, here is a picture of Lepreau's Nuclear Waste Storage Area:

1636930247335.png

It's about 1km in distance total around the perimeter.

Just Victoria BC's landfill is around 4x the size.

1636930491417.png

All Nuclear Waste Disposal requires is a space that can be climate controlled and properly guarded and regulated. The actual size of that space is really quite small, of course the Government will drag their heels on it because it's a political hot potato.

Lets not pretend the waste disposal issues are bigger than they are though. The actual issues are really quite miniscule and are overinflated. Case in point, here is a picture of Lepreau's Nuclear Waste Storage Area:

View attachment 67156

It's about 1km in distance total around the perimeter.

Just Victoria BC's landfill is around 4x the size.

View attachment 67157

All Nuclear Waste Disposal requires is a space that can be climate controlled and properly guarded and regulated. The actual size of that space is really quite small, of course the Government will drag their heels on it because it's a political hot potato.
Ironically, nuclear power is the only power generation method where the waste product can be 100% contained. Even solar, the panels post-use have to be addressed somehow (only EU has an explicit requirement to address post-use recycling of the panels).

Ironically, nuclear power is the only power generation method where the waste product can be 100% contained. Even solar, the panels post-use have to be addressed somehow (only EU has an explicit requirement to address post-use recycling of the panels).
Aye,

I used to work at a Coal Generating Station as a labourer prior to joining the CAF. You want to see a landfill, you should see the Ash Landfills that Coal Plants produce :). Luckily, the companies usually keep them out of sight of people by planting large tree forests around them so nobody can see them (out of sight out of mind right). They are also developing new technology to recycle that Ash for use in Concrete and Wallboard.

Current government Greenpeace Environment Minister can’t help show his pre-Government roots and damn by faint praise the nuclear industry which will have to “prove itself” vice get any substantive government support.

Liberals leaving nuclear’s future to the market while other countries bet big
The Government will continue to do nothing and Canada will continue to bleed whatever engineering excellence we once had in a key industry. Chalk River Laboratories is a shadow of its fomer self.

It seems the only thing Canadians are good at is sipping lattés on Bay Street, pouring money in to Real Estate, while a small portion show some initiative by being able to rip Natural Resources out of the ground for others to do something productive with.

On that note though, CAMECO is doing quite well this year:

1636935380674.png

Natural gas can be used to make iron and EAF can be used to make steel.

Doing that would cut emissions in steel making in half. So EAF can be part of the solution.
EAF cannot make steel, it can only recycle it. If you could make steel from scratch with a EAF no one would run a Blast Furnace as the costs for a Blast Furnace are significantly higher.

There have been a few studies already that if people keep switching to EAFs by about 2035 we will not have enough scrap steel in the world to supply the EAFs and will have to build more Blast Furnaces (unless Hydrogen produced steel can succeed). This is a reality not a wish, I personally hate Coke and the byproducts from Steel Making (I refurbish equipment used in the process regularly), but until there is some serious advancement in Steel Manufacturing, we are stuck with the current process.

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are set to build their first large nuclear power plant in Wyoming. If things run true to form, the politicians will fall in line behind them. These guys won't be doing this on a lark. There has to be a follow on plan to expand their portfolios.

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are set to build their first large nuclear power plant in Wyoming. If things run true to form, the politicians will fall in line behind them. These guys won't be doing this on a lark. There has to be a follow on plan to expand their portfolios.

And it will all - probably - be managed by a Canadian accountant from Alberta because those gajillionaire Yanks know what they're doing ;)

There are also different fuel cycles that produce less troublesome waste products.

Longer term, within a generation we’ll probably see nuclear fusion reach deployability. That will be a total game changer for the entire energy industry.
I hope so, but I feel like I've heard about fusion for at least 15 years now being "just around the corner"

EAF cannot make steel, it can only recycle it. If you could make steel from scratch with a EAF no one would run a Blast Furnace as the costs for a Blast Furnace are significantly higher.

There have been a few studies already that if people keep switching to EAFs by about 2035 we will not have enough scrap steel in the world to supply the EAFs and will have to build more Blast Furnaces (unless Hydrogen produced steel can succeed). This is a reality not a wish, I personally hate Coke and the byproducts from Steel Making (I refurbish equipment used in the process regularly), but until there is some serious advancement in Steel Manufacturing, we are stuck with the current process.
EAF cannot make steel, but natural gas can be used in place of coal to create direct reduced iron. EAF can use direct reduced iron to create steel. High quality steel too if I remember correctly.

This cuts the amount of carbon used in steel production in half. And once this process in in place its all to easy to make the switch from hydrogen created by natural gas to create direct reduced iron to switch to hydrogen created by renewable like the plant in Sweden is trying to do.

We could make this switch within the year if there was the will to do so.

And it will all - probably - be managed by a Canadian accountant from Alberta because those gajillionaire Yanks know what they're doing ;)

Well, Canada’s official position now, according to Environmental Minister Guilbault, is to let the market decide nuclear’s future, as noted earlier upthread. Of course, that is, until things develop as you portend, and Alberta and Saskatchewan become the secondary source of the North American nuclear wave…then Ottawa will likely “re-imagine” the NEP to ensure that control and profits are appropriately re-directed back to the Laurentian Elites…

I believe Lepreau has the site engineering done for a second rector. Been that way since construction, apparently. I used to spend a lot of time on their fire training ground and had a couple of decent tours of the place. I have never been in a cleaner and better cared for generating plant.

I believe Lepreau has the site engineering done for a second rector. Been that way since construction, apparently. I used to spend a lot of time on their fire training ground and had a couple of decent tours of the place. I have never been in a cleaner and better cared for generating plant.
You should see Bruce. And their NRT (nuclear response team) is world-class.

Back