• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helicopters start rescue efforts after landslide traps hundreds on B.C. highway

Because where life and limb is at stake, along with the most complex geo-technical engineering challenges imaginable, it's best to pass that task on to the reserves, right?

Potentially Yes... I would not be at all surprised if there are an order of magnitude more Professional engineers and experienced construction workers (all civiilian qualifications) in the reserves than in the Reg force. The CAF does not really appreciate the assets it has available in the reserves... mobilizing those skill sets is another question, but ignoring this potential capability is a waste IMHO.

CN and CP will have the rail line operational again in short order, they repaired the train bridge that was totally engulfed by fire in Lytton, BC in just over 13 days. The roads will be more problematic as the Government(s) will dither.
The problem in that area is slope stability, there is very little to build into that will anchor and hold. First order of business will be to stablize what they have and redirect the water & debris flow from the abutments and into a defined channel in case they have another event. then start removing the debris on the upstream side, so they can get to stable soil. I doubt they can pound piles right now without destablizing the remaining bank. there is very little room to work and the area is saturated and it's unclear what is above the site and might be ready to come down on top of them.

For rail, once the other side is checked, they will have to alternate trains through. For road, once they have stabilized the area they throw an Arcow bridge across.

This is the area in GE
1637079132870.png

In some cases there are a few of these major washouts in serial on the same highway. They’ll need to fix one enough to start moving heavy equipment to the next. This is going to have long lasting impacts. I can’t meaningfully guess the supply chain ramifications of this for the interior… A whole lot probably comes in by ship to Vancouver.
I was just looking at some stats that said 55% of Canada's imports came through Vancouver and another 15% through Rupert.

Some of the reporting is confusing. I suspect 2 of the washouts on the Coquihalla - both in the lower valley north of Hope - are misunderstood to be 1 washout. One of them is a washout of southbound lanes (only) where the road run parallel to the Coquihalla River, one appears to be a complete washout of a bridge (all 4 lanes). Note that there is also a mudslide further north (between Portia bridge and Great Bear snowshed) and another half-washout (southbound lanes, again, parallel to Coldwater River) south of Larson Hill (which is north of summit and old toll booth plaza).

Good PR for the RCAF. now they need a Chinook airlifting in some tents, soldiers, mobile kitchen to provide food and shelter for people. This might be a good secondary role for the Reserve Svc Battalions?

Emergency Social Services/ EMBC provides hotels so why force people to live in mod tents on soggy ground in winter time (unless, of course, they self-identify as sado-masochists, or Class A reservists :) ).

What’s old will be new again. Send it out of TBay and chuff it through Panama, and add a bit to the price to offset. That is, until the NWP opens up, then fire it up North out of Churchill…
The seaway closes around the end of the year:

Tracking, 👍🏼 but was focused on the original question about getting prairie wheat to Asian markets, so intent would be to ship before the SLSW closed for the season.

Could one assume that if needed they could continue operations with the assistance of ice breakers?
Or a slew of Class A Res with Tiger Torches heating the locks ;)

Could one assume that if needed they could continue operations with the assistance of ice breakers?
Or a slew of Class A Res with Tiger Torches heating the locks ;)
Good question. I don't know how hardened the locks and other infrastructure is for operating in deep winter. It would have to be an international effort. - I'm not sure we have enough Seaway-capable ice breakers to do it alone. I imagine a lot of off-season maintenance would have to be deferred; unknown how much of that is 'gotta do'.

Then there is the question of rail and port capacity.

Good question. I don't know how hardened the locks and other infrastructure is for operating in deep winter. It would have to be an international effort. - I'm not sure we have enough Seaway-capable ice breakers to do it alone. I imagine a lot of off-season maintenance would have to be deferred; unknown how much of that is 'gotta do'.

Then there is the question of rail and port capacity.
Wonder if export through the USA is an option (as I have no idea on the trade implications)

Port of Vancouver, Tacoma and Seattle are all integrated already, so overflow gets diverted regularly. As my friend found out importing shotguns made by Norinco (Banned in the US) to Vancouver, diverted to Tacoma, unloaded seized there, in limbo for a year, then sent back to China. Now all his stuff goes to Prince Rupert which avoids that.

Sad news...

One confirmed dead in mudslide that swept across B.C.'s Highway 99​

RCMP confirm woman's body has been recovered​

One woman has been confirmed dead Tuesday after a mudslide that swept across a portion on B.C.'s Highway 99, becoming the first confirmed fatality as a result of widespread flooding and landslides across the southern half of the province.

RCMP confirmed search and rescue personnel recovered the woman's body late Monday.

More to come.

There some in rural BC that will be happy about this
258414359_10165854658085302_5793512943201530911_n.jpg

Most of the existing vessels are already contracted until the end of the year and it would take weeks to route additional bulk carriers through to the Lakehead, it would be better to use rail through to the east coast.

Things are pretty bad, all that rain has flooded out the Fraser valley and the BC government has requested military aid, to bad 1 CER is no longer in Chilliwack.

258022096_10165667420575243_1357420481352956228_n.jpg

Back