• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Norway Drops Airbus NH90. Wants Refund

Kirkhill

Fair Scunnert
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score

Joins Australia

Franco-German project.

Difficulty getting permission to use German kit these days it seems. At least if you're Estonian, Polish, Slovakian or Ukrainian.
And the Swiss are not much better.

The Swedes and the Finns, on the other hand, are quite content to share the wealth. As are the Brits.

Alliances are built on these things.

I actually have a long list of CAF equipment.
A long list of CAF equipment? Nice try… 😉

I don’t disagree with what you said at all KevinB - just hoping you could expand on what the issues are with buying from continental Europe?

A long list of CAF equipment? Nice try… 😉

I don’t disagree with what you said at all KevinB - just hoping you could expand on what the issues are with buying from continental Europe?
Eryx was no fun.

LG-1 is crap.

Spewer was crap.

Carl G (Saab) has been awesome for decades.

BV 206 is the coolest vehicle I have ever crewed.

Leopard is an own goal, unrelated to to how good the tank is.

C-295 is…yeah, well.

Wait…I think narrowed down the region of Europe that might be the problem…

Eryx sucked

LG-1 seemed cool when they first came online. Now, not so much…

Spewer - my only real long-term psychological issue from Afghanistan is observing what a piece of shit those things were… Let’s all agree to never speak its name again?

______

Is the C-295 really that bad?

I know a lot of people have suggested it’s not the right plane for us, or not kitted out properly, etc. But is the airplane itself that bad?

(I have no idea, not in my lane. Genuine question.)

It and it’s precursor the Casa 235 we’re/are decent enough light utility tactical transports in warmer climates, it would seem.

IIRC folks where jumping out of Casa’s at CPC - I was shocked when I heard it wasn’t Herc only.
*I have more static line jumps from Helicopters than Herc’s so maybe I shouldn’t throw shade.

**I don’t consider Scandinavian countries part of continental Europe.

Eryx sucked

LG-1 seemed cool when they first came online. Now, not so much…

Spewer - my only real long-term psychological issue from Afghanistan is observing what a piece of shit those things were… Let’s all agree to never speak its name again?

______

I know a lot of people have suggested it’s not the right plane for us, or not kitted out properly, etc. But is the airplane itself that bad?

(I have no idea, not in my lane. Genuine question.)
Iltis, LSVW join the chat…

I have always thought the CAF and the government purchased euro kit to be "not American" too not look like Anericans on international deployments. If you think about it logically we buy such small quantities of kit we should just purchase the closest neighbors stuff and the largest buyer in the world. For training, support and logistics it would make the most sense. If it is something we don't make buy American. I am mostly talking Army systems and aircraft. Naval systems are a different kettle of fish.

BV 206 is the coolest vehicle I have ever crewed.

**I don’t consider Scandinavian countries part of continental Europe.

we should just purchase the closest neighbors stuff and the largest buyer in the world.

In American service the Swedish Bv206 is known as the Small Unit Support Vehicle. It was quite popular in Alaska. The Yanks want a replacement. Strangely we're in the market for a similar machine.

I find it interesting that most of our country is Bv accessible while the Yanks have a relatively small proportion of the country that requires the Bv. And yet we let the Americans make all the running. Shouldn't they be coming to us to find out what works in our back yard?

Tangent.

In American service the Swedish Bv206 is known as the Small Unit Support Vehicle. It was quite popular in Alaska. The Yanks want a replacement. Strangely we're in the market for a similar machine.

I find it interesting that most of our country is Bv accessible while the Yanks have a relatively small proportion of the country that requires the Bv. And yet we let the Americans make all the running. Shouldn't they be coming to us to find out what works in our back yard?

Tangent.
Well let’s look at Canada’s procurement record…

Eryx
Cyclone
Iltis
Griffon
LSVW
Rusted out MLVW’s and not enough new MSV
Clapped out HLVW due to use instead of missing MLVW
LG-1 despite the superior Brit (and now American) L/M-119
Etc.

Canada isn’t exactly a procurement superstar.

Well let’s look at Canada’s procurement record…

Eryx
Cyclone
Iltis
Griffon
LSVW
Rusted out MLVW’s and not enough new MSV
Clapped out HLVW due to use instead of missing MLVW
LG-1 despite the superior Brit (and now American) L/M-119
Etc.

Canada isn’t exactly a procurement superstar.

Absolutely it isn't. And I fully understand why nobody follows our lead.

And isn't that a pity?

Canada: Home of the United Empire Loyalists - America's Exiles.

We just can't be bothered with most of our country.

Back