• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Opportunity to update the CC-150 fleet?

But I’ve learned to never underestimate the power of lobbying.
Boeing is one of a small handful of US aircraft manufacturers, and an even smaller number of US civilian aircraft manufacturers.

In the US, I'm pretty sure what Boeing wants, sooner or later Boeing gets.

Boeing is one of a small handful of US aircraft manufacturers, and an even smaller number of US civilian aircraft manufacturers.

In the US, I'm pretty sure what Boeing wants, sooner or later Boeing gets.
I suspect you are right again.

Especially now with new management at the helm. That alone is a big boost of confidence from shareholders and government alike. Lobbying should be easier now than it was, say, 3 years ago. (I’m not sure their prior management could have done much worse.)

Some of their programs have been solid, punctual, progressive programs of record that have consistently delivered reliable products that are upgraded/updated regularly enough. On the military side - Apache, Super Hornet, C-17, Chinook, Poseidon, etc.

Yet others seem to be a dumpster fire, in which their solution seems to just be to add more gasoline 😬🤷🏼‍♂️

“ I know, I know… I know we are way over budget and behind schedule on building tankers for the USAF. You know what this partially designed aircraft, stuffed full of developmental technology really needs for us to succeed? Another imaginary system, designed from scratch. That’ll fix it.”

Another used plane for RCAF:

Final A310 MRTT retires from Luftwaffe service​

After 22 years of operations, the Luftwaffe (German Air Force, GAF) retired the last of four Airbus A310-304 Multi-Role Tanker Transport (MRTT) aircraft from active service on June 15, leaving Canada as the sole remaining military operator of the widebody strategic tanker/transport.

The final aircraft – serial 10+25 ‘Hermann Köhl’ – was built in 1988 and was operated as part of the Luftwaffe’s Flugbereitschaft des Bundesministeriums der Verteidigung (FBS BMVg, Special Air Mission of the Federal Ministry of Defence) from Köln-Wahn Air Base, near Cologne in western Germany, from 1996 until it was retired on June 15.

Unlike several of the other Luftwaffe-operated A310s, which were flown to Leipzig for scrapping, this aircraft has reportedly been sold to Canada, where it will likely be used as a source of spares for the Royal Canadian Air Force’s (RCAF’s) two-strong fleet of Airbus CC-150T Polaris MRTTs, which entered service in October 2004...

Mark
Ottawa

Except that there were only 2 contenders (A330 MRTT and KC-46), and the KC-46 was deemed not qualified.

The A220 wasn't an option.
I think Spencer 100 meant as in buy an Airbus product (A330 MRTT) so that Airbus doesn’t wholesale move A220 component production and assembly to its Mobile, AL plant.

I think Spencer 100 meant as in buy an Airbus product (A330 MRTT) so that Airbus doesn’t wholesale move A220 component production and assembly to its Mobile, AL plant.
Yes. Ok for one I would guarantee that AIrbus will use the A220 assembly as IRB. I would. Even if if it was not a direct connection it is surely implied by all parties. I know I would if I was in government.

IRBs are left to the vendor, and thus are very creative. See: French Fry factory as IRB for naval ships.
Since IRBs (Industrial Regional Benefits) are now ITBs (Industrial Technological Benefits), shouldn't that little loophole be closed?

The Boeing KC-46 was not complaint? It's fueling F-35s now. But I get the teething problems with the boom. They are redesigning the whole thing. But did we pick the A330 MRTT even before the F-35 announcement? Is this still anti Boeing hangover? Which refueling type are we going with? Flying boom? Drogue? The F35A is flying boom. But then I read that one country maybe paying for the F35C system to be put on the F35A.

If the Boeing system is not ready right now and it is requirement of the RFQ. How did Irving, Lockheed, BAE win with the T26? It was not ready at the time either. Makes you think.

Since IRBs (Industrial Regional Benefits) are now ITBs (Industrial Technological Benefits), shouldn't that little loophole be closed?
Yes sorry ITB. I should have used that. I do think the process does include a scoring for direct and indirect manufacturing in the selection process. They added it for the F35 after the Boeing issue. In the end it didn't really change the outcome. Lol

The Boeing KC-46 was not complaint? It's fueling F-35s now. But I get the teething problems with the boom. They are redesigning the whole thing. But did we pick the A330 MRTT even before the F-35 announcement? Is this still anti Boeing hangover? Which refueling type are we going with? Flying boom? Drogue? The F35A is flying boom. But then I read that one country maybe paying for the F35C system to be put on the F35A.

If the Boeing system is not ready right now and it is requirement of the RFQ. How did Irving, Lockheed, BAE win with the T26? It was not ready at the time either. Makes you think.
There were some fairly strict range and payload requirements. I believe Boeing actually pulled their bids. My guess is that it was to put more effort into the Super Hornet and P-8 bids.

Both aircraft have boom plus wing pods for probe and drogue refueling. We didn't need to know what fighter we were getting before selecting A330 MRTT.

So replacing five aircraft that are nearly 30 years old with more, more capable aircraft?

Back