• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

Where are all these red Tories going to go if its too bad in the CPC? Try to grab a bunch of blue Liberals and form another party?
Probably just vote Liberal in hopes it convinces the CPC to smarten up. It's the 'diaper' approach to voting that many of us in the centre adhere to; when your current party of choice gets too full of shit, change it. Repeat a few elections later.

More from Global

Her comment here sums it up: “You could easily tell this was not going to end well,” said LeBreton, who said she felt like she no longer had a home in the Conservative party she had a hand in building.

More from Global

Her comment here sums it up: “You could easily tell this was not going to end well,” said LeBreton, who said she felt like she no longer had a home in the Conservative party she had a hand in building.
That’s something.

Everyone used to talk about how “extreme“ Stephen Harper was, yet red Tories like her and Hugh Segal were very comfortable with him as leader.

Harper would have sorted this shit out long ago and punted some of these wankers from caucus. I miss him.

The LPC and NDP worked hard to get rid of Harper. I can see why people would reward them by voting for them.

Where are all these red Tories going to go if its too bad in the CPC? Try to grab a bunch of blue Liberals and form another party?
Likely still vote blue locally (providing that MP stays out of the nonsense) while rooting for a nation wide smackdown that either smartens the CPC up or splits it.

Likely still vote blue locally (providing that MP stays out of the nonsense) while rooting for a nation wide smackdown that either smartens the CPC up or splits it.
I aspire to owning a Rolex and a BMW one day, so I may vote NDP…

Preliminary lists are out, direct contact has begun.

PP, Lewis, Baber all have their main message built around the pandemic restrictions and grievance politics. Someone in PP's team is bold, keeping member emails short, punchy, and almost childish like tweets. Not sure if that style transfers well between mediums but we'll see.

I'd love to see the polling that's telling them that this is the play, to me it seems likely that's PP's membership surge is 2020 PPC voters that want to pull the CPC to have a chance to have a meaningful vote, not voters that are new to being right of the LPC.

PP, Lewis, Baber all have their main message built around the pandemic restrictions and grievance politics. Someone in PP's team is bold, keeping member emails short, punchy, and almost childish like tweets. Not sure if that style transfers well between mediums but we'll see.

I'd love to see the polling that's telling them that this is the play, to me it seems likely that's PP's membership surge is 2020 PPC voters that want to pull the CPC to have a chance to have a meaningful vote, not voters that are new to being right of the LPC.
The problem is that its not the Fringe morons you have to pull to get on to your side in large numbers; very few Canadians are as right-wing as PP et all would suspect they are.

Team Red has made a huge play to paint anyone a toe over the centre line as an extremist looking to cave to social conservatism, the Christian Alt-Right and pull the rug out from anyone in vulnerable sectors of society. Many people I know that voted Liberal in the last election did so strictly because there is no room for moderates in the CPC it seems, A lot of people the CPC could easily court are Liberals who are fed up with the current situation in the LPC. That will give you more votes/seats than trying to win over PPC voters.

If the CPC wants a chance to govern, they need to move closer towards the centre and court those estranged from the current establishment. They do that by not letting the lunatics get hold of the asylum.

Ive been getting my daily spam mail lol

People tend to campaign more to their "side" during primaries/leadership selections/conventions, and more to the centre during general elections.

People tend to campaign more to their "side" during primaries/leadership selections/conventions, and more to the centre during general elections.
It'll be interesting to see if PP does that if (when?) he takes over the Team Blue wheelhouse.

That’s what got O’toole turfed.
It really did backfire on him (and others). With everything being recorded, harder than ever to pander to bases without it coming to light.

And it's not like it was opinions from things from decades ago that bit him in the ass, it was things he said to the so-cons during the leadership race on a Zoom call that bit him in the ass right away. I guess it was at least in French, so points for bilingualism. Probably also an anti-Franco crowd somewhere that doesn't like that as well.

Based on the crop of CPC candidates, guess we're looking at yet another term of the LPC.

PP jumping onboard the cryptobro train was the last straw and he's since said stupider things. Maybe the old adage about not saying anything and letting people think you are dumb would have been wise.

It really did backfire on him (and others). With everything being recorded, harder than ever to pander to bases without it coming to light.

And it's not like it was opinions from things from decades ago that bit him in the ass, it was things he said to the so-cons during the leadership race on a Zoom call that bit him in the ass right away. I guess it was at least in French, so points for bilingualism. Probably also an anti-Franco crowd somewhere that doesn't like that as well.

Based on the crop of CPC candidates, guess we're looking at yet another term of the LPC.

PP jumping onboard the cryptobro train was the last straw and he's since said stupider things. Maybe the old adage about not saying anything and letting people think you are dumb would have been wise.
There is enough social media posts and sound bites to come back and haunt him if he does try to woo the Center. I expect another LPC term as well.

The one spoiler I could see is if Brown leaves the race. Most of his supporters would likely go Charest. Lewis already telegraphed her support for Charest so maybe it will still be a race. But we’ll see.

Presuming of course that his signups aren't challenged :D

Until presented compelling proof to the contrary, I'm going to assume that this is exactly like 2018
A. there is some element of "truth" to the allegations. Brown will have done something distasteful and morally ambiguous, but it will fall short of criminal wrongdoing, rule breaking, or really being any worse than you'd expect from a politician
B. The CPC thinks that Trudeau is a dead man walking, that the next election is theirs to lose, and want to ensure that the leader they want is in place to take advantage of the victory
C. There's a smelly underside to the party that wants nothing to do with Patrick Brown, social moderates, or a multi-cultural Conservative party, and they had the benefit of learning from the Ontario PC's not to underestimate Brown and decided to bring out the knives and hatchets early to minimize the controversy.

Last edited:
All of the above.
I'm going with "c"
Yeah that was a list rather than a multiple choice. I don't think B is anywhere near as strong as in 2018 with Wynne, but overall the situation has the exact same stench. They sense opportunity and don't want to "squander" it with a leader that will take them somewhere they don't want to go.

Last edited:
Presuming of course that his signups aren't challenged :D

B. The CPC thinks that Trudeau is a dead man walking, that the next election is theirs to lose, and want to ensure that the leader they want is in place to take advantage of the victory
I agree, but I don't really get this. I even a short clip from a video of a pod cast where the host was saying to his guest "They say 30% of people will still vote liberal. Can you believe that?! Like how is that possible?!" And I would counter with "how do you NOT believe that? Are you that naive?"

Back