• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs 🤣

Now I'm convinced you're being deliberately obtuse.

Tell me, if the rules were changed to mandate and neon green reverse-mohawks, would you be perfectly happy about adhering to that change? Be honest now.

If doing that would irk you, then you're just as guilty as anyone else of desiring your own self-expression regarding your hair. You just happen to want hair that was already allowed.

Desiring hair that is not currently allowed but will be in Sept is not indicative of a "propensity to serve themselves". It's indicative of a difference in aesthetic preferences. That's all.

Wanting purple hair because you like purple hair is no more selfish or self-serving than wanting brown hair because you like brown hair. Literally the only difference is that one of those is currently allowed and one won't be allowed until Sept.

We decided that driving people out because they don't want to adhere to completely arbitrary rules isn't reasonable or beneficial?
Neither is pumping up every fringe group's tires with moves like this, when the real problems are beans, boots, and bullets. You make a military by making it capable, not by sleight of hand and bribery.

; suspect a lot of them will just follow local dress standards for grooming, at least for things like requiring a natural hair colour.

Last time I was in Japan - as a tourist - they still had a pretty strict tattoo policy.

Now I'm convinced you're being deliberately obtuse.

Tell me, if the rules were changed to mandate and neon green reverse-mohawks, would you be perfectly happy about adhering to that change? Be honest now.

If doing that would irk you, then you're just as guilty as anyone else of desiring your own self-expression regarding your hair. You just happen to want hair that was already allowed.

Desiring hair that is not currently allowed but will be in Sept is not indicative of a "propensity to serve themselves". It's indicative of a difference in aesthetic preferences. That's all.

Wanting purple hair because you like purple hair is no more selfish or self-serving than wanting brown hair because you like brown hair. Literally the only difference is that one of those is currently allowed and one won't be allowed until Sept.

We decided that driving people out because they don't want to adhere to completely arbitrary rules isn't reasonable or beneficial?
You realize the reason for short hair was for hygiene purposes so disease and parasites weren't passed around...and not because some dudes liked short hair, right?

You realize the reason for short hair was for hygiene purposes so disease and parasites weren't passed around...and not because some dudes liked short hair, right?

And yet somehow women have managed for decades, I'm sure the dudes will figure it out too.

Back in the day when hygiene was a problem. And not just in the field.

They also used powdered wigs at one time for the same purpose.

Freedom of expression includes freedom of opinion.
I'm not so sure anymore. The CAF is being infiltrated by this mentality where "you have the right to your own opinion, as long as it's aligned with mine". And if it's not aligned then you're attacked by someone waving a stick in one hand and their victim card in another.

I'm a victim because I couldn't wear my hair how I want. It's an attack against my identity! Call the HRC!
No, relax, it was just a dress code. Lots of jobs had them, lots of jobs still do.

Everyone has a preference. Everyone has some style of hair cut they like the best (which can of course change at times).

The standards went from "shave it bald, everything goes" to "15 cm of length and up to 4 cm inches of bulk". And a lot of people's "ideal" preferred hair cut fell well within those parameters. And thus they've been lucky enough to just be able to go about their time in the CAF, wearing their ideal hair cut without any problems. Because they had an overlap between their preferences and the standards.

And not everyone was so lucky. Some people want hair that's coloured differently than allowed. Some people want hair that's longer than that. Etc.

But simply wearing your hair the way you want is not indicative of any mental illness, "attention seeing behaviour", or any of the other insulting assertions that have been constantly thrown about on this thread; dudes who like their hair shaved, and thus chose to shave their head aren't doing so because they're crazy; they're doing so because that's what they like, and they're allowed to do it.

How is it any different for coloured hair or longer hair?
I actually stated that there was validity on both sides. Please re-read my post. There are varied generations/opinions on this site, which I personally have found both insightful,useless, and alarming, according to my preferences/opinions. When someone destroys my opinion, I crawl away and lick my wounds. Therefore, I am much more selective on the hill to die on. Your preference may vary.

SO cool, we'll have some people still doing multiple jobs and trying to make miracles happen, but with bright coloured hair and different fashions.

Literal makeup on the proverbial pig; still stepping in a big shitpile.

The CAF is collectively delusional if they think this will keep the institutional wheels from falling off further.

SO cool, we'll have some people still doing multiple jobs and trying to make miracles happen, but with bright coloured hair and different fashions.

The CAF is collectively delusional if they think this will keep the institutional wheels from falling off further.
Someone having pink hair might not push those wheels further off, but the internal conflict that it is causing might. I'm just wondering which former CDS will be the one playing the fiddle as Rome metaphorically burns.

It was intended primarily as an equity initiative. If it helps a little bit with retention or recruitment, that'd be great, but that was not the primary purpose.

Someone having pink hair might not push those wheels further off, but the internal conflict that it is causing might. I'm just wondering which former CDS will be the one playing the fiddle as Rome metaphorically burns.
At the same time, someone picking up the slack by doing three jobs might hang on a bit longer because there are a couple less arbitrary rules to follow.

People dismiss the minor dissatisfiers because alone they are minor, but over time, as they accumulate, they become major. Removing unnecessary dissatisfiers slightly lightens the load, and maybe convinces people to hang on a bit longer, so the big stuff can get sorted.

Last edited:
If they're posted to an operational theatre where there's a threat, they'll put the scarf on (I'm sure most will simply decide to dye a subdued colour instead). If you're talking about something happening where you go from zero to armed, well putting the scarf on takes a hell of a lot less effort than issuing everyone firearms. Friendo can take the 45 seconds to throw their hair scarf on while in line waiting for ammo.

I am willing to wager some operational stuff will require natural hair colours not a scarf. Not all but some. Bright coloured hair in the desert or tree line can get that mbr and those around them killed.

Personally, I don't think the CAF is seen as a very serious organization anymore by our partners or the general population but the CAF can be whatever it wants to be.

100%

Instead of showing up with with 2 Auroras that will break down during the Ex, we will show up with 2 Auroras that will break down during the Ex AND have a a few people with hair like Ronald MacDonald…and a few in the same physical condition Grimace is 😁

100%

Instead of showing up with with 2 Auroras that will break down during the Ex, we will show up with 2 Auroras that will break down during the Ex AND have a a few people with hair like Ronald MacDonald…and a few in the same physical condition Grimace is 😁
Yep,

I'm at a new job right now with around 30 other people in my training class. Literally nobody is dressed like a goof ball, kind of refreshing 😉

So you're saying that if I was to walk into Toronto today (or realistically six weeks from now when I could actually get an appointment), they would give me new underwear without having to turn the old ones or listen to a bunch of other excuses why they couldn't give it to me?

I walk into Wing Supply every summer when my calendar reminder tells me “it’s time” for my T shirts, issued gitches and 4 pair of light and heavy weight long underwear. No questions asked other than “service number” and “what size”. No proving anything or silliness; it’s part of my SOI.

At the same time, someone picking up the slack by doing three jobs might hang on a bit longer because there are a couple less arbitrary rules to follow.

People dismiss the minor dissatisfiers because alone they are minor, but over time, as they accumulate, they become major. Removing unnecessary dissatisfiers slightly lightens the load, and maybe convinces people to hang on a bit longer, so the big stuff can get sorted.
Like PLD, cost of living, overly aggressive op scheds?

We are doing SFA about the big items either and I'm tired of hanging around waiting. At this point I'm here out of spite because I don't want to let the system win, but it's apathy is overwhelming my GAF.

I think the flipside of these minor items is it highlights how little we are actually doing to address things that matter; the items that have been a major worry for over a decade are worse than ever, so colour me dis-fucking-satisfied with some housekeeping on D&D.

Glad this makes a few people happy I'll just go back to my box of hoping the RCN doesn't kill people sending them to sea in ships TC would require repairs to meet basic commercial standards (for cargo ships). Don't worry though they are fully crewed.... er operating with restrictions er.... covered with robust risk mitigations... well fuck.

Back